Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2001 ezgo gas txt jerks at take off (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=154818)

konipaul 07-07-2019 11:21 PM

2001 ezgo gas txt jerks at take off

I just bought a 2001 EZGO gas TXT. It runs great but it does jerk when you take off unless you start out very slowly (and it still might jump a little). I have look through different posts here and see either drive clutch problems or that someone may have tried to make it go faster and adjusted something they shouldn't have (accelerator cable or regulator).

Can anyone help me out here?

army 07-08-2019 04:31 AM

Re: 2001 ezgo gas txt jerks at take off

That's happening on my cart now after I moved the engine back a tad so the belt is a little looser. It was working great before. I only did it so I can shift when it's running. It's not bad enough to reverse what I did but it will jerk a bit if I don't ease into it. That could be causing your problem, or maybe the clutch itself needs to be fiddled with. I don't know clutch stuff very well so I'll step aside and let the guys who do advise you.

meimk 07-08-2019 05:37 AM

Yes army, putting "slack" in your belt will cause the jerky take off. Stock arrangement gets the belt turning (cart moving) just slightly even under just the starter turning. As engine speed increases the drive clutch closes on the belt gradually. With that slack in the belt you've taken the gradual engagement away. The drive clutch will close in far enough to take up that slack and only start to engage at higher engine speed and further out on the pulley "V".

konipaul 07-08-2019 06:51 AM

I believe it is a stock clutch and i already tried a new belt,

konipaul 07-08-2019 06:57 AM

The engine was supposedly replaced by the former owner. Could that have loosened the belt if was bolted back down a little differently?

konipaul 07-08-2019 06:42 PM

Not getting any help here

meimk 07-08-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konipaul (Post 1633487)

Sorry, most of us work during the day and may have limited times we can "check in".

Yes, anything that gives you slack in that drive belt can cause you trouble. Most often it's a wrong size or worn belt, or a problem with the clutches themselves. With the engine stopped does the drive belt ride right at the top of the driven clutch, or deeper into the pulley? Is the belt loose enough to taken on and off easily? It should take some effort.

army 07-09-2019 06:29 AM

Doesn't take much either. I'd estimate the engine is only back a 1/4" or so more. The governor on the transaxle was in the way and I had to trim it off just to get that much slack. Now the shifter mechanism on the transaxle is the limiting factor but that's ok. It shifts better now. I still don't like the springy feel to the shifter though. Finding neutral, running or not, is like trying to balance a screwdriver on a clothesline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meimk (Post 1633229)
Yes army, putting "slack" in your belt will cause the jerky take off. Stock arrangement gets the belt turning (cart moving) just slightly even under just the starter turning. As engine speed increases the drive clutch closes on the belt gradually. With that slack in the belt you've taken the gradual engagement away. The drive clutch will close in far enough to take up that slack and only start to engage at higher engine speed and further out on the pulley "V".

meimk 07-10-2019 05:21 AM

Yeah, EZGO didn't really give them a neutral. The only way to truly have neutral is to use the service lockout - which you can't do on-the-fly while driving.

trig123 07-10-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konipaul (Post 1633487)

The quickest way to not get any help here is complain. Just a tip. Those of us who give our time and share our knowledge do it for nothing.
Your post comes over as we are not acting fast enough to answer you questions. My 2 cents 8)