Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Aftermarket air filter for Yamaha G2 (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=169978)

TechBill 10-13-2020 01:54 PM

Aftermarket air filter for Yamaha G2

Is there an aftermarket air filter for 90's Yamaha G2?

I am looking around on the net for an aftermarket air filter intended for scooters like this one

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...4aAoDREALw_wcB

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with aftermarket one and stick with stock air filter?

slonomo 10-13-2020 04:49 PM

Re: Aftermarket air filter for Yamaha G2

I would stick with the factory setup. Adding an aftermarket filter can increase the air flow through the carb, which will create a lean condition that your engine will not like. You will have to do some jetting work to get it running correctly. Also, some aftermarket filters look really cool, but are terrible at filtering air and will let dirt into your engine, which can cause the rings and bearings to wear faster. Yamaha designed the air filter to work properly, why not just keep it working properly by keeping it stock?

TechBill 10-13-2020 09:09 PM

My stock ones bands are broken and right now I am using bolts to hold lid down.

This is why I saw the one with rain cover on to reduce air intake and allow me to add a fitting to the outer plastic housing.

I am still thinking on this.

The stock lid is no longer straight and there a curve in it so I am sure it’s leaking around the lid toi

cgtech 10-14-2020 02:53 AM

Fix/deal with the factory airbox. Keep a factory airbox, no fancy new stuff. When you change the intake tract, you also have to re-jet the carb, or it will run like ****. No way around it.

slonomo 10-14-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgtech (Post 1769893)
Fix/deal with the factory airbox. Keep a factory airbox, no fancy new stuff. When you change the intake tract, you also have to re-jet the carb, or it will run like ****. No way around it.

We'll see if he takes our advice. :roll:

raydhd 10-15-2020 04:42 PM

Odd man out again. I used a K&N with a prefilter on my G 14 for 6 years with no issues. In fact when the old couples G 14 here on the island started missing I seen their filters looked horribly dirty. I donated and installed my K&N set up on their cart without any further mods and it has been running great for the past 4 seasons. P.S. Many of us with engine swaps are running K&N's or UNI's My truck , chopper and Yamaha cart have genuine K&N's with a prefilter and my Harley cart has a UNI. I see JRL has twin UNI's on his Super cart.

CP241 10-15-2020 06:29 PM

Agreed with slo and cg. Stick with/fix the oem airbox. I’ve had nothing but issues when even the airbox lid isn’t sealed correctly. And helped many folks “fix” their carts by sealing the airbox lid.

Zip ties work great for broken rubber bands if the anchors aren’t broken off. If they do break off I’ve used wood screws in their location to hold a zip tie with success.

Search around. The number of people with incorrectly installed lids or missing air boxes that only run on choke, vs. people that have had success with a filter like you’ve suggested are 10:1

raydhd 10-15-2020 07:43 PM

Well this is an air filter on a simple 1 cylinder golf cart engine and not a moon rocket. Maybe the G 14 is not as fussy as a G 2. BUT as I said I took my K&N set up off my modified G 14 and stuck it on a Really stock G 14 there were Zero issues. But we will see what the OP decides.

raydhd 10-15-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slonomo (Post 1769756)
I would stick with the factory setup. Adding an aftermarket filter can increase the air flow through the carb, which will create a lean condition that your engine will not like. You will have to do some jetting work to get it running correctly. Also, some aftermarket filters look really cool, but are terrible at filtering air and will let dirt into your engine, which can cause the rings and bearings to wear faster. Yamaha designed the air filter to work properly, why not just keep it working properly by keeping it stock?

Again the question comes up. Have you actually done one or you are just talking Slo ?

slonomo 10-16-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raydhd (Post 1770685)
Again the question comes up. Have you actually done one or you are just talking Slo ?

Why do you have to be an A hole?:thumbdown: