Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   My son's first bowhunt (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=6981)

txhunter 08-03-2008 12:42 PM

My son's first bowhunt

Well my son, Brent, and I woke up at 4:00am yesterday morning to make the 1:20 drive to our lease to hunt some hogs. Brent has been practicing all week with his 32 lb Parker Buckshot. He is getting to be really accurate up to 20 yards. So I decided to take him out this morning and let him experience his first bowhunt. We were late getting out there and still had to setup the ground blind. As soon as we got in and he got an arrow nocked, he was pointing to the right side of the blind and asking, "Which one do I shoot". I didn't see a thing because I was on the right side of the popup blind so I couldn't see out of the front window to the right. Finally I heard the hogs grunting and they finally came jogging into the feeder. This was about 5 minutes after we zipped up the door on the popup. We were fumblin around trying to get everything situated when they showed up. So there were 2 good size hogs and about 6 smaller ones. At first I wasn't going to let him shoot a big one because of the penetration issue, but I said what the hell. I told him to shoot the dark one, which was the biggest one in the group. So he stood up and had to squat over just a hair and he got to full draw and I said to shoot just behind the shoulder. He pulled the trigger on his release and "THWACK"....

He drilled her right behind the shoulder and she ran off. She kind of circled and we saw her running and then we saw a bunch of trees shaking. The rest of the pigs scattered everywhere. We gave her about 30 minutes and started our search. There wasn't any blood to be found anywhere. We went about 300 yards and nothing. I just knew we weren't gonna find her. So we went back to the feeder to try and take another route. When we got over to where we thought we saw the trees shaking, she was laying dead about 10 yards off the first trail we searched down. We had walked right past her. So a 32 pound parker buckshot with an 18 inch draw, 20 inch Gold tip 3555 arrow, cheap 85 grain broadhead (I don't even remember the name of them), and a 9 year old on his first bowhunt take a 160+ pound wild hog (I am not good at guessing the weight so if anyone has another guess, please spit it out) with a shot right through the liver and just clipped the heart. This hog ran just about 40 yards and kicked over.

And NO I didn't have time to setup the camera. I had to let him take a shot at them. I couldn't miss the opportunity. But I do have pics. What an awesome experience. He took his first deer last season with a .223 on his first hunt, he also took his first turkey with his .223 last December at dajcentex's place, and now he takes his first hog with a bow. This kid is on a roll. I think he is ready for the LSBA Youth Bowhunt in October.

http://www.myoutdoorforum.com/galler...m/000_0093.jpg

http://www.myoutdoorforum.com/galler...m/000_0095.jpg

http://www.myoutdoorforum.com/galler...m/000_0096.jpg

Birddogss 08-03-2008 02:46 PM

Re: My son's first bowhunt

Tell your son way to go!! Hog down with a bow..good size one too, perfect size for eatin..I know alot of grow men that still havent been able to pull that off. You got yourself a serious hunting partner now!! Congrats!!!

txhunter 08-03-2008 07:16 PM

Thanks birddogss. It was a hunt I will never forget. I was definitley more excited than he was. We were 19 yards away when he shot. I was very proud. He performed like he has been doing this forever. Smooth as silk.

azboo 08-03-2008 07:46 PM

Very impressive. He must be thrilled to death. :thumbup:

Boo

buckmanmike 08-04-2008 12:34 AM

Man, that has to be great to experience that with your son. Congrates to your son. Congrates to you for taking him there. Hunting together is a super bonding experience. I'm sure the both of you will remember forever.

pizzamaker 08-04-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmanmike (Post 83949)
Man, that has to be great to experience that with your son. Congrates to your son. Congrates to you for taking him there. Hunting together is a super bonding experience. I'm sure the both of you will remember forever.

now that's being a dad, good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gstoneberg 08-04-2008 04:21 PM

Good job Txhunter, thats one of the forever memories for both of you. Your son's smile is priceless.

My daughter took her only deer when she was 15, over 10 years ago now. We tried for a hog for her last year(spring) at a high fence place, but it didn't go well. I got one, but she didn't, they wouldn't let us hunt in the same blind which would have been much nicer. Once they grow up it gets harder to find time to hunt together. Since then I have moved to Texas, near Wylie, and she recently married. My new son-in-law has never hunted and is now chomping at the bit to go. Soon we'll get that done and it'll be a fun time. My deer lease down here doesn't have hogs, but I've made a friend who has them on his farm and wants them gone so I've been able to hunt there. There's nothing like fresh sausage... Where abouts in Texas are you?

George

txhunter 08-04-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstoneberg (Post 84081)
Good job Txhunter, thats one of the forever memories for both of you. Your son's smile is priceless.

My daughter took her only deer when she was 15, over 10 years ago now. We tried for a hog for her last year(spring) at a high fence place, but it didn't go well. I got one, but she didn't, they wouldn't let us hunt in the same blind which would have been much nicer. Once they grow up it gets harder to find time to hunt together. Since then I have moved to Texas, near Wylie, and she recently married. My new son-in-law has never hunted and is now chomping at the bit to go. Soon we'll get that done and it'll be a fun time. My deer lease down here doesn't have hogs, but I've made a friend who has them on his farm and wants them gone so I've been able to hunt there. There's nothing like fresh sausage... Where abouts in Texas are you?

George

George,

I live in Conroe, about 195 miles south of Dallas off I-45. I hunt in Corrigan, Texas which is about 1 hour 30 minutes northeast from here.

You have to get your son-in-law out there and hunt. He will get hooked.

PettyVTX 08-04-2008 07:44 PM

Nice Hog

gstoneberg 08-04-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhunter (Post 84114)
George,

I live in Conroe, about 195 miles south of Dallas off I-45. I hunt in Corrigan, Texas which is about 1 hour 30 minutes northeast from here.

You have to get your son-in-law out there and hunt. He will get hooked.

That's a haul from me. My deer lease is just South of Atlanta, TX up in the NE corner of the state, piney woods. I hunt hogs over towards Abilene. I only wish I had a 90 minute drive to hunting. I've got over 3 hours to either place.

Yea, we'll get him out there. My daughter has spent quite a bit of time overseas in Russia, Turkey and Europe. My son-in-law is from Africa, but raised in France. It'll be a whole new deal for him. Should be a good time. They're coming for Christmas, so his first hunt will probably be for deer.

I joined this forum because I bought a couple old golf carts to make a huntin buggy and the price was right. They're not a popular brands though (Melex), so I may have my work cut out. Your camo buggy looks great, is it electric or gas?

Keep those pictures coming if you get your son out there again. More people need to do what you're doing.

George