Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Battery charger "Incomplete" issue (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=159216)

smiles33 11-30-2019 02:28 PM

Battery charger "Incomplete" issue

I bought a used electric Yamaha cart a couple years ago. It's driven about 1 mile/day 3/week. It occasionally has the red "Incomplete" light show up on the Yamaha charger, so I bought a 50 watt 48 volt battery maintainer. It's worked fine in the past.

A few days ago, I saw the Incomplete light so I went to plug that maintainer in using alligator clips directly to the terminals (one on the red terminal on the first battery and one on the black terminal on the last battery connected to the cart, per the maintainer's directions). It didn't work at all (no lights, no charging), so I bought a new maintainer.

Directions said to plug the maintainer into the wall first, which I did. Then I connected the red clip and when I went to connect the black clip, it sparked. I freaked out and immediately moved the clip off.

This has never happened before. I'm not sure if I have a problem with the maintainer or the golf cart batteries. The batteries were brand new 2 years ago, but I'll admit I didn't realize I had to regularly refill it with distilled water. I didn't pay enough attention to the orientation when they delivered it. Anyhow, when I popped up the covers, I could see the tops of the plates about a year ago (one year into ownership). I refilled each battery with distilled water, used the maintainer, and it was fine. I was good about refilling water every 2 months or so but then forgot this past summer. I could see the tops of the plates again so I refilled with water once I saw the Incomplete light.

Did I completely screw up the batteries? Do I need to scrub the terminals with baking soda and water? Do I need to call the local Yamaha shop and have them send someone out? Or could it be I just got 2 bad maintainers?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

cgtech 11-30-2019 03:22 PM

Re: Battery charger "Incomplete" issue

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the manual for your charger, it'll tell you all about your "abnormal cycle light".

smiles33 12-02-2019 10:18 PM

Thank you for sharing the manual, but I still don't know what the answer is. I've read it through a couple times (after I figured out the pages weren't consecutive but double-sided and meant to be folded!). It talks about the red abnormal cycle but mentions a flashing red light (I have a solid red abnormal cycle light), so I don't think it's "shorted battery cells" or "output overcurrent."

I will try to call my local Yamaha dealership where I bought the golf cart tomorrow.

nickdalzell1 12-06-2019 08:12 PM

In my experience the 'incomplete' light comes on when the charger fails to reach the voltage threshold for a fully charged status cut-off within the timeout period (~16 hours). It's not a 'smart' charger aka a dv dt type, it just wants to reach a pre-defined voltage for x number of minutes to determine 'full.' If it doesn't get to that point it times out and throws that light.

Can happen if batteries get sulfation or if they're extremely low when the charge cycle starts.