Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   All things Lithium (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Club Car DS lithium upgrade and 4-Link (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=145679)

NCPW 08-31-2018 12:31 PM

Club Car DS lithium upgrade and 4-Link

2 Attachment(s)
This will be a VERY slow build compared to the ones I read here daily. Hope to have it finished up within a few weeks but I'm not in a rush and not on a timeline so I plan on doing it right the first time...hopefully. :lol: Plus I plan on buttoning up a few things like wiring to make it more aesthetically pleasing, cleaning/painting the frame again and few other things.

I upgraded the cart a couple of years ago from a 36V resistor cart to a solid state drive system and 48V as well as some cosmetics more suited towards hunting and running through the woods (which is what the cart does most of the time). So this will be Ver. 2.0 when I'm done. :mrgreen:

First thing on the list is gathering everything needed to do a lithium conversion. I've been reading/studying on converting to lithium since reading through SportCoupe's http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...txt-build.html a few years ago, not to mention every other lithium build the great members here have posted since. I have learned a great deal from a lot of you and asked my questions via PMs, e-mails and phone conversations. So thank you to those members and one in particular who has been a great asset to me and this forum is very lucky to have him as a member. He knows who he is and I won't mention his name because I don't want him to get bombarded with questions but if he chooses to speak up, that's his decision.

Second thing is ditching the HD rear leaf springs for a better ride using a 4-link set up. I've read though countless threads on here as well as off-roading forums and watched many youtube videos (makes me a professional now, right? :lhmo:) to decide I want to go with a triangulated set-up. I think this will make it as easy as possible, avoid having to use a panhard bar and get around/clear the motor without issue hopefully. I'm not going for extreme articulation but for a more comfortable ride.

For the lithium conversion I have everything in my possession right now except the BMS and display from Zeva. They were out of stock when I ordered earlier this month but Ian expected to be able to ship my order out anytime between now to the beginning of September. In the meantime I'll do what I can with what I have. For the 4-link I have all my tubes, hiems, spacers, jam nuts, shock mount tabs, angle steel to mount everything, wheel spacers and coilovers.

After removing all current electronics and taking many pictures to make sure I wire everything back up correctly.
Attachment 174665

Here I cut out and ground down the necessary aluminum angle to get the diamond plate to fit nicely. This is a dry fit and nothing is secured down yet because I plan on sanding and painting first.
Attachment 174666

More to follow

bronsonj 08-31-2018 06:45 PM

Re: Club Car DS lithium upgrade and 4-Link

subscribed.

Bluetick 08-31-2018 08:51 PM

Can't wait to see more very interested !

NCPW 09-05-2018 10:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I decided to move my package from EV Battery Center inside to assemble what I can and inspect the Leaf modules.

All cells measured 3.94-3.95V and visually look flawless. Not even a scratch on the metal casing.

EV Battery Center did a great job packing the modules in a ton of packing peanuts and Styrofoam to keep everything safe during transport.
Attachment 174855

After cleaning all the packing off and inspecting the modules. No bloating noted and all cells measured within .01V.
Attachment 174856

Pack assembled in correct orientation with aluminum plates. Just waiting on BMS to arrive now. I covered the terminals with painter's tape for extra caution while waiting on final assembly and install.
Attachment 174857
Attachment 174858

I finished up grinding, sanding and cleaning the battery tray and will put another coat of black paint to dress it back up hopefully later this week. Then the diamond plate will be secured in place.

I just got confirmation this morning from DHL my ZEVA BMS16V2, EVMS monitor V3, temperature probe and CANbus wiring will be delivered Friday. :thumbup:

swsawyer@reagan.com 09-05-2018 08:00 PM

Subscribed too!! I plan on executing a lithium upgrade, one day, but plan on taking it slow and steady like NCPW. My only “complaint” is following and reading what everyone else is doing tests my patience and resolve to take things slow. Given the fact that I have never been blessed with an abundance of patience, makes things challenging. I guess it is a good thing that Household 6 keeps my checkbook in her purse. LOL.

E36Racer 09-05-2018 08:12 PM

Some nice plates you’ve got there....

Roxyflash 09-05-2018 08:35 PM

Looks like a low voltage pack 7x4 28 volts am i missing something

NoleFan4Ever 09-05-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxyflash (Post 1538446)

Lol! Nissan Leaf's. 2 in parralel and 2 in series. 7 modules = 14 cells. 4.2v max/cell = 58.8 volts...:thumbup:

And to be safe, we run 4.17v/cell (58.4v) to protect the cells from high charge damage...

NCPW 09-05-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36Racer (Post 1538435)
Some nice plates you’ve got there....

:thumbup:

Bet you'd never guess where they came from :lol:

NCPW 09-05-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxyflash (Post 1538446)

Like Nole said, big bang in a little package.