Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1991 Ezgo Marathon Rear End Question (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=146387)

wmesmith 09-24-2018 09:43 AM

1991 Ezgo Marathon Rear End Question

3 Attachment(s)
Im building a hunting cart. Does anyone sell a locking or limited slip kit or a gear assembly for a 1991 EZGO Marathon 36 volt. I've attached a photo of my Buggy

cgtech 09-24-2018 09:01 PM

Re: 1991 Ezgo Marathon Rear End Question

There are aftermarket kits available, and a Posi from Ezgo available.

I put a used posi from a Rxv in my Marathon axle, it fit just fine. (Rxv electric has Posi from the factory).

wmesmith 09-24-2018 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info

Sir Nuke 09-25-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgtech (Post 1543769)
There are aftermarket kits available, and a Posi from Ezgo available.

I put a used posi from a Rxv in my Marathon axle, it fit just fine. (Rxv electric has Posi from the factory).

cgtech....are you saying you just swapped out the entire gear set into your diff. OR you swapped an entire RXV rear axel ?

BobBoyce 09-25-2018 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 1543812)
cgtech....are you saying you just swapped out the entire gear set into your diff. OR you swapped an entire RXV rear axel ?

He said the Posi unit, which would be the spider gear assembly. The gears and the carrier they are in. The ring gear bolts to that. What makes a unit posi is friction washers under high tension during assembly that limits the ability of the spider gears to rotate. The limited slip additive lubricates the friction washers with a friction modifier that allows the friction wahers shimming the spider gears to rotate rather than break when under great stress.

Sir Nuke 09-25-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBoyce (Post 1543833)
He said the Posi unit, which would be the spider gear assembly. The gears and the carrier they are in. The ring gear bolts to that. What makes a unit posi is friction washers under high tension during assembly that limits the ability of the spider gears to rotate. The limited slip additive lubricates the friction washers with a friction modifier that allows the friction wahers shimming the spider gears to rotate rather than break when under great stress.

Hi Bob, and I understand how it works, and the parts involved. since I an not versed in RXV carts, my question was more if he was saying that all that needs to be changed out is the "GUTS" and they would work in his existing case. considering its a different model and quite a newer rear end, it wouldn't surprise that the parts would not work. and a complete rear end would be needed. THAT'S was my question.

wmesmith 09-25-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 1543891)
Hi Bob, and I understand how it works, and the parts involved. since I an not versed in RXV carts, my question was more if he was saying that all that needs to be changed out is the "GUTS" and they would work in his existing case. considering its a different model and quite a newer rear end, it wouldn't surprise that the parts would not work. and a complete rear end would be needed. THAT'S was my question.

I was wondering the same thing been searching for more information. Not finding much.