Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Columbia ParCar (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   89 Par Car engine just stopped. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=186067)

kickatinalong 08-09-2022 10:28 PM

89 Par Car engine just stopped.

Just joined. Last year I inherited my late dad's old par car, which has been running well up to now. Last week, out on the back 9, it just petered out and the starter motor wouldn't even turn. I'm not much of a mechanic but I thought if I get a lead or two from the experts here, it might help the local mower shop guy find the solution. Battery is fine and I'm guessing the starter/generator is ok, otherwise it would have kept running until the next stop....no? Nothing obvious like loose wires either. I'm in rural Australia and I've never seen another cart like this old beauty. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mark

raydhd 08-10-2022 09:58 AM

Re: 89 Par Car engine just stopped.

Micro switch for gas pedal OR the ignition switch itself. In some safe manner jump the solenoid and work from there.

kickatinalong 08-10-2022 04:39 PM

Ok thanks Raydhd. I'll pass that on to the mechanic. That sounds encouraging if it turns out to be a switch problem.

Lochlin 08-12-2022 08:53 AM

It's also possible that the brushes in in the starter need replaced. That's a very simple job.

kickatinalong 08-15-2022 12:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Lochlin. As the motor was running when it suddenly died, would the brushes or the starter motor itself have been necessary to keep the engine running? I'm not a mechanic but that's what I was thinking.

Cartmaster 08-15-2022 02:22 AM

I agree with rayhd, If it died, and will not turn over and you are sure the battery is good, it is most likely to be a switch, Fuse, wiring between them or the solenoid has failed. As Ray said, jump the solenoid and see if the starter turns.
Not knowing these carts, i dont even know if it has a fuse!

kickatinalong 08-15-2022 06:06 AM

Thanks cartmaster, I'll pass these suggestions on to the mechanic.

Leon willis 08-15-2022 08:54 AM

This may be wrong for the the par cars but there is a little wire going to the solenoid from the pedal switch and if that brakes it just die and not start back up

Lochlin 08-15-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickatinalong (Post 1904142)
Thanks for the suggestion Lochlin. As the motor was running when it suddenly died, would the brushes or the starter motor itself have been necessary to keep the engine running? I'm not a mechanic but that's what I was thinking.

AHHHH. I didn't realize that the motor was actually running when it quit. No, the starter brushes won't do that. They would cause the motor to not start after it stopped, though.

I would be surprised of the switch suddenly went bad as well. I guess it's possible, though. You can jump the microswitch that is between the drivers and passenger seat with the front body raised. When jumped, the cart should should start turning over when the key switch is turned to F or R.

Have your lawn mower guy check for spark first and foremost. Those carts used an electronic ignition module which were junk and failed often.

raydhd 08-15-2022 05:24 PM

Just to be clear here does the S/G spin and the engine not start OR does nothing happen at all ?