Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and what is the correct way to test your batteries.... (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=22505)

MPH 08-30-2009 04:15 PM

Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and what is the correct way to test your batteries....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buggies Gone Wild
.... 100% readings should be taken 1 hour after the charger shuts off to allow voltages to settle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Battery Company
For accurate voltage readings, batteries must remain idle (no charging, no discharging) for at least 6 hrs, preferably 24 hrs.

So question one is... which of the above statements is the preferred method or am I missing something?

The second question I have is what do you get out of my batteries readings, besides the number one is lower than the rest of the pack and bordering on no good.

So here is my story and I am sticking to it...

Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and fully charged my Trojan T-105 battery pack. They were pretty low, even though I limited my driving and charging till I bought my appropriate 36V charger, so it took about 7 hours. I then ran it for a few trips up and down the street, an hour or so of driving, then I hooked the charger back up and charged the pack back up to full which took a few hours.

Once fully charged, I disconnected the charger and let the pack sit for an hour. This is the readings I took.

Battery/ Reading

1.) 6.40
2.) 6.54
3.) 6.53
4.) 6.54
5.) 6.54
6.) 6.54

Then I took some more readings at about 14 1/2 hours later and these are the readings I took.

Battery/ Reading

1.) 6.30
2.) 6.41
3.) 6.45
4.) 6.46
5.) 6.46
6.) 6.45

With a full pack reading of 38.5.

So what do you think. Just a little bit more information... the batteries have a date stamp of G3 (July 2003) on them. I know that is on the tail end of the life cycle but ????? I will take another reading at 24 hours of rest and post those later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buggies Gone Wild
The only TRUE way to test your batteries fully is on a Discharge Machine...

Now I haven't taken a discharge test yet. What is the best way for a "do it your self" guy to perform this test. I was wondering if hooking up each battery to a volt meter and measure their voltage individually under load would give me a good idea?

I also have not performed a Gravity Test, but will in the near future.

The last question that I have is... is there a way to bring my number one battery back in to the range of the batteries if only for a short time or should I just wait and see if the proper care and treatment of this battery with the Delta-Q charger will help bring it back in to proper condition?

I want to thank everybody for the help this site has provided so far. With out Buggies Gone Wild, Detla-Q Technology, and my Dad, this would have been a little bit tougher.

Thanks
Mike

mikesmotortoys 08-30-2009 04:35 PM

Re: Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and what is the correct way to test your batteries..

Very informative post - Don't take this the wrong way - Here is my question.

Why are you going through all this trouble in testing 6+ year old batteries? Is it because your run time is getting shorter? Are you experiencing any issues? I'm a bit confussed? Static readings really don't say alot, from my experience. You need to get a load test done and/or a specific gravity reading. The voltage reports you have look fine to me - the real question is what happens under a load?

More info please:thumbup:

hitmanharleyk 08-30-2009 04:38 PM

Re: Hooked up my Delta-Q charger and what is the correct way to test your batteries..

Have you tried charging the 6.30 battery by itself to bring it up to the same level as rest of the pack ?

I had to do this with one of mine, it actually took more than once to bring it up to speed.

GarageBuilt 08-30-2009 05:18 PM

Just give the Delta-Q charger a chance to manage your batteries. It will get the pack balanced back out. It will take a few charging cycles.

MPH 08-30-2009 06:05 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys (Post 273083)
Very informative post - Don't take this the wrong way - Here is my question.

Don't worry it would take a h3ll of a lot more than that to offend me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys (Post 273083)
Why are you going through all this trouble in testing 6+ year old batteries?

More info please:thumbup:

Good question and here is my answer... just bought the cart and before I found this site I would not of even been able to tell you what year the cart was much less the batteries.

I bought the cart for my wife to get the kids around the pits while I drag raced and then next year to use as a tow vehicle for my daughter's JR Dragster. There are only a few more events this season, I would like to be able to get through this season on the batteries we have.

I have charged the batteries in pairs with my 12V car charger before I bought my Delta-Q charger and my wife has ran it around the pits at a couple of races... say about 10 - 15 very short trips over two days. The cart ran fine for a 14mph stock cart. A little sluggish up hill but that doesn't surprise me.

So I am taking all my new found knowledge and seeing what I come up with... sort like hands on learning. What I posted was what I got after hooking up the Delta-Q for the first time and charging the batteries fully. The cart is a little quicker both on the flat and up the incline but still on the slow side on the inclines.

You noticed that I did go ahead and mention that they were 6 year old batteries because I knew that would bring up some discussion. I am just surprised about their readings, but I know that could be for not once I test them under load, hence the sluggish up hill climbs.:wink:

Actually already have talked to my "battery guy" about a new set of Trojan T-105 but wanted to wait till next year since I am trying to finish up my new detached garage (40' X 50') and money is little tight and I also might lean towards an upgrade to 42V or 48V (20mph). This winter it all comes apart to get cleaned up, painted, new 4 gauge cables, etc. but for now, what it is, it is. Just trying to learn with my new found knowledge. Thanks for all the schooling!:thumbup:

Mike

mikesmotortoys 08-30-2009 06:13 PM

Sounds like I would just keep charging and using the cart until you HAVE to replace the batteries. A charger won't replace poor maintenance over 6 years, but I have noticed that when doing discharge tests, carts that have been charged with a QE seem to have a longer discharge rate. I thought I was crazy (well - relatively speaking), but still, I feel like this new charger is going to help 'maintain' good batteries longer than the older style chargers...

Save the cash and buy the batteries when you have to:thumbup: Get that garage finished, so you have a place to work on your cart over the winter:thumbup:

MPH 08-30-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys (Post 273123)
Save the cash and buy the batteries when you have to:thumbup: Get that garage finished, so you have a place to work on your cart over the winter:thumbup:

Actually I also need to finish the shop so I can work on the Camaro. Hurt the engine a few races ago and it is down for the season. I will also have to spend money on the new race engine. Anybody have a printing press laying around, I think I am going to need a lot more money this winter then I have access to.:wink::lhmo::lhmo:

MPH 08-30-2009 10:48 PM

Okay, here is my 24 hour readings...

Battery/ Reading

1.) 6.30
2.) 6.47
3.) 6.45
4.) 6.45
5.) 6.45
6.) 6.45

With a full pack reading of 38.6.

So I do not know why #2 battery is reading higher now than earlier other than I probably read it wrong earlier.

Next is a Discharge test and a Gravity test.

Mike