Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Jay's build (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=75134)

jay_in_cgohio 01-19-2013 10:14 PM

Jay's build

5 Attachment(s)
Here is my 94 gas club car. It is my campground buggy. Started with a bone stock cart.

First thing was to install 6 inch lift and new wheels/tires. Next was the rear seat. In the middle of doing complete lights with turnsignals. Luckily I have a cool neighbor who is more than willing to help as seen in the first pic.

jay_in_cgohio 01-19-2013 10:18 PM

Re: Jay's build

1 Attachment(s)
First real problem. Wanted to take the steering wheel off to straighten it and work on the steering tube cover. The threads on the shaft and nut are all buggered up as it was just laying inside the cover. I guess the previous owner figured as long as the nut was close to the steering shaft it would work. Steering wheel has not budged so I guess it was not really needed. Knowing better I need to fix it but how? Can I disconnect it from the bottom and just pulle the entire assembly out to take it to a machine shop?

Tonka329 01-19-2013 10:24 PM

Looks like a sweet cart! I would do my best to take the steering wheel off and chase the threads with the appropriate size die. If worse comes to worst, then yes, I would take the steering shaft out and take to a shop to change nut and thread size...

pachanga90 01-19-2013 10:39 PM

Take a good heavy hammer,have someone stand on the cart-floor and pull on the wheel,Then strike the shaft with one good,sharp blow,it should pop off,just be ready for it,so you don't flip over the back of the cart with the wheel!!:lhmo::lhmo:Then disassemble the steering,and have the shaft repaired or replace it.:thumbup:

jay_in_cgohio 01-19-2013 10:51 PM

Any idea of the thread size? My tap and die set does not go up that big.

Tonka329 01-19-2013 10:59 PM

You will have to measure it. Maybe 19,20 or 21mm?? Try to hit the bottom of the steering wheel on the plastic

pachanga90 01-19-2013 11:02 PM

If you have a brass-punch or a chunk of hardwood(oak,etc...)you can set that on the shaft and hit it,instead of directly hitting the shaft.:thumbup:

jay_in_cgohio 01-19-2013 11:18 PM

I will work on getting the wheel off later. My neighbor works in a factory that builds farm equipment. They should have a die there big enough to chase the threads back to good shape..........I hope:roll:

racin161 01-20-2013 06:53 AM

I say take the neighbor camping he's going to need some time off your using him up. Did I say BEER:lhmo::lhmo::lhmo:

LOU

imjman57 01-20-2013 07:15 AM

the thread and nut size for the steering column is 5/8-18