Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cart with its own mind (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=5587)

Sandman 06-10-2008 04:10 PM

Cart with its own mind

First, thanks for everyones past suggestions, but I still have a problem with a 1991 G9 Yamaha gas cart. I have been told that a cable is out of adjustment and also that possibly the solenoid is bad. What is happening is when I connect the 12v side of the new soleniod the start engages with the key off. This happened shortly after installation of a lift kit, but I cannot see any cables or wires that are in a bind, shorting out, or obviously causing this. I have replaced the solenoid, gas pedal switch, and have been searching for a voltage regulater because it has been suggested that this might be the issue. I called a golf cart repair shop today and was told it was a cable out of adjustment:twisted:This is starting to become an unpleaseant experience (golf cart ownership).:help:

spriddle 06-10-2008 04:37 PM

Re: Cart with its own mind

You say this started after your lift kit installation. What electrical, if any, was disconnected before this problem started? My first thought was a bad ignition switch, pedal switch, or solenoid. I don't think the regulator (mounted up over the driver's side rear fender well) would do this but I'm not disreguarding it. It sounds like you got a short or wire crossed somewhere.

Sandman 06-10-2008 04:46 PM

When I say it started after the lift I dont mean right away, it was several days after. There were no wires disconnected, it was a Jakes 6 inch lift that required no welding, when I replaced the solenoid I made sure that all wires went right back to where they came from. The night before it started doing this there was an incident that when I pushed on the gas pedal it would not move, and then all of a sudden it would engage after several (5~10) seconds.

spriddle 06-10-2008 04:58 PM

I know what your going through (been there myself) and more than likely this will end up being something minor or simple. It's just finding it. With key off, what wires are hot in the ignition system from key switch, to pedal switch, to solenoid and across the solenoid? There are two little wires on the solenoid (red and brown I think), not sure what would happen if they got crossed. I would need to look at mine at home. Can you get us a pic. of your engine compartment (ignition switch/solenoid area)?

Sandman 06-10-2008 06:43 PM

Sure can, I am traveling for work and will be home tomorrow night. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pictures, maybe I will ask my 10 year old nephew;-). By the way I am a dog lover- real cuties your pups are!

spriddle 06-11-2008 07:02 AM

Thanks. They play hard but wear out quick right now. Hopefully we can get your golf cart problem solved pretty quick. I still feel like it is going to end up being something simple like a crossed wire or short somewhere. It's acting just like it would if the pedal switch was live and your jumping across the solenoid. I didn't get a chance to check mine last night but I'm curious to see if the two small wires on the solenoid are possibly crossed and would cause this: not sure. Go to this site, click on view parts catalog, choose your cart, and look at the electrical section: http://yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice/

Sandman 06-20-2008 06:51 PM

Well just got time to look at the catalog as well as the cart and I cannot seem to see any distinction of the wires on the schematic. I will try and look at the cart a little further and see if there is anything obvious. How are the pups doing?

Sandman 06-20-2008 07:30 PM

Well did a little checking and here is the latest, with the voltage regulator plugged in the cart will do as before. If I unplug the regulator the starter will only spin for a couple seconds and then stop (obviously the cart will not run). If plugged in I can drive the cart with no evidence of problems until I let off the gas pedal and the starter will spin as if still depressed (slowly). In past post some folks have said it could be voltage regulator but I have checked and everything else looks as it did prior to other parts changes.:cry:

Sandman 06-20-2008 08:12 PM

And finally here is the latest, if I plug the regulator in, turn the key to the on position, depress the pedal the cart will take off. I can then disconnect the regulator and ride as long as I want, if I allow the cart to stop completely the starter will not spin until I plug the regulator back in and then the process starts all over.:? Could the regulator somehow got fried and it will not allow the current to stop once the engine fires and takes off? Please help me not run this off a cliff...................

spriddle 06-23-2008 06:04 AM

Pups are doing great and growing fast. Sounds like you have found your problem. Usually, or in my experience with regulators, if they are bad, they simply won't charge the battery. With what your describing (problem and solution), I would replace the regulator.