Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2003 Club Car DS - bypassed OBC, now what? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149292)

dogleg69 01-11-2019 03:14 PM

2003 Club Car DS - bypassed OBC, now what?

Have an electric 2003 Club Car DS. The battery light came on so I figured the wife or kids just did not plug it in. I plugged it in and nothing happened at all. I found that the 250v 3/8a BUSS fuse in the yellow cap from the grey sense wire was blown.

I did not see too much corrosion, but I cleaned and tightened everything anyway.

I put in a new 3/8a fuse and plugged in the cart. The only thing that would happen is the charger would click (no hum, no start then stop then start again like normal) each time I would plug in the DC into the receptacle. The charger is an PowerDrive2.

I took the charger apart and did all the diagnostics per the manual and it all checked out. I read many threads that said I could jump from the back of the DC receptacle to the negative on the pack.

This allowed the charger to come on and hum. I closely monitored that for about 4 hours until the pack was up to 59.5 volts. Then I unplugged the AC and then the DC.

Based on what I have read on the forums, that points to the OBC being bad.
I would like help with two questions:

1) Is there any other tests I can do to test the OBC?

2) If it is the OBC, is the best course of action to replace the OBC or to get a newer charger and bypass the OBC altogether? If so, what are the current model recommendations?

Any advice before I spend a chunk of money on a OBC or new charger would be appreciated.

Thanks to all on the forum. I have certainly learned a lot.

NoleFan4Ever 01-11-2019 07:56 PM

Re: 2003 Club Car DS - bypassed OBC, now what?

Your OBC has failed and you proved that by replacing the "sense" wire fuse and it would only click and not cut on. The OBC controls the charger and when you bypassed it by going directly to the Main Pack Negative, it then ran...

You can purchase another OBC and continue to use the Powerdrive (OEM) for $180-$200. It is older technology now and a smart charger is better.

You can bypass it all together and then purchase a smart charger. The best out there now is a Lester Summit II https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...rger-13-18-amp, then next would be the Delta-Q IC650, then you have the Yewy's. DPI makes a great model also that is still the large transformer style, but is a smart charger.

dogleg69 01-14-2019 09:54 AM

Thank you for verifying the diagnosis and the suggestion on the charger. Much appreciated.

Sergio 01-14-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

I could jump from the back of the DC receptacle to the negative on the pack
Did You also check the big fuse (not the 3/8 amp) on the negative wire on the back of the cart charger receptacle?

Just checking since if that fuse is blown the charger will click but no current can flow.

NoleFan4Ever 01-14-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1577247)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogleg69 (Post 1576453)
-snip-
I read many threads that said I could jump from the back of the DC receptacle to the negative on the pack.

This allowed the charger to come on and hum. I closely monitored that for about 4 hours until the pack was up to 59.5 volts. Then I unplugged the AC and then the DC.

Did You also check the big fuse (not the 3/8 amp) on the negative wire on the back of the cart charger receptacle?

Just checking since if that fuse is blown the charger will click but no current can flow.

I ~think you mat have overlooked this part above, as it would not have charged up to 59.5v had it been blown.... :thumbup:

Sergio 01-14-2019 12:05 PM

I read that, but if the jumper he placed was before the fuse, it would have worked with a blown fuse.

NoleFan4Ever 01-14-2019 12:17 PM

Gotcha, just never done it that way before and I always tell others to take the 10g wire going from the receptacle to the OBC and land it or jumper another to the MPN. But I see your point as you never know....

dogleg69 01-14-2019 08:58 PM

I did check that fuse and was getting continuity. Thank you for reminding me of that. I am ordering the Lester Summit II per the suggestion.

I have read so many different things about how to bypass the OBC to hook that charger up. Do I just cut the black wire that is going from DC receptacle into the OBC, put a ring on it and run it to negative on battery #6?

I have read the sticky that says I also need to splice a blue and white wire coming out of the OBC (or was that only for a Precedent)?

I'm a little confused on the proper way to bypass it for the Summit II. Any clarification would help. I appreciate all you guys to do help everyone.

NoleFan4Ever 01-14-2019 09:16 PM

IQ or Series cart?

dogleg69 01-14-2019 09:40 PM

I don't know. How do I tell?

The serial number is AQ0314-269035. I have a tow/run switch under the seat. The Forward Reverse is a toggle.