Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   can I do a temp. fix (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=144362)

just for fun51 07-24-2018 04:46 PM

can I do a temp. fix

I would like to charge my batteries while I wait on my new smart charger.
OBC is bad, but lake drives wait for no one. Just tell me how 1996 48v CC

radelon 07-24-2018 04:54 PM

Re: can I do a temp. fix

Do you have 8 x 6v? If so you can use a 12v charger to charge 2 at a time. Or you could bypass the obc and use your current charger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

just for fun51 07-24-2018 05:05 PM

I have 6 8v

scottyb 07-24-2018 05:13 PM

Can't he just jump the charger relay and watch over the pack voltage until it reaches a critical point?

joesam 07-24-2018 05:13 PM

As long as you are willing to monitor volts while charging, you can do THIS inside your charger. But unplug at about 60 volts (wall first / cart second) so you don't cook your batteries. The charger won't stop charging when you jump those relay wires together. (oops - Scotty just mentioned this before me)

just for fun51 07-24-2018 05:35 PM

I have a digital meter on the cart can I use that to see voltage?

joesam 07-24-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

I have a digital meter on the cart
Yep. To err on the side of caution, you could check the accuracy of your gauge to a DVM measurement on the pack. But that's probably overkill. Should be fine.

WalterM6 07-24-2018 06:11 PM

My suggestion is to go ahead and start modifying your cart for the new charger. Start by connecting the red and black wires from the charging receptacle to the batteries. Then jumper the two interlock wires together. Now you will be ready for your new charger.
Jump the charger relay and you should be ready to charge until your new charger arrives. If the old charger is capable.

NoleFan4Ever 07-24-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just for fun51 (Post 1524627)
I would like to charge my batteries while I wait on my new smart charger.
OBC is bad, but lake drives wait for no one. Just tell me how 1996 48v CC

If your OBC is bad and your Powerdrive is still available, just bypass the OBC (which you will have to do to use the smart charger) and plug the Powerdrive in. It will be in manual operation so monitor it and once it is up to ~60-62vdc, remove it and go ride around the lake.

This will suffice for a week or two until the new charger arrives. Then you can just plug it in as the wiring will already be prepared for it.... :thumbup:

just for fun51 07-24-2018 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone now I am just waiting on Scotty B...