Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you slide cylinder over piston (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=121053)

yamaha G1 owner 07-29-2016 09:05 AM

How do you slide cylinder over piston

Please help I have been ripping my fingers to shreds trying to slide cylinder over piston, while trying to hold the new rings in with my finger, also tried using a cable tie, looked like things were moving along but gets stuck going into main section of bore.

scottyb 07-29-2016 09:28 AM

Re: How do you slide cylinder over piston

Use a ring compressor.

roady89 07-29-2016 12:33 PM

One way to do it is to take the piston off the rod...install piston into cylinder with ring compressor...set jug w/piston hanging out the bottom of the cylinder just enough to slip the wrist pin back in and install your snap rings. After your wrist pin and snap rings are in place you can then slide the cylinder all the way down to the base.

smallblock450sl 07-29-2016 12:37 PM

On a G1, I find easier to fit the piston and rings into the bottom of the cylinder. Install the piston pin snap ring on the passanger side. Remember to point the "exhaust arrow" on the piston forward in the cylinder! Slide the piston/ cylinder over the studs till you can push the piston pin thru and install the other piston pin clip. Then just slide the cylinder all the way down. DON"T forget the new base gasket! It does help to have another second pair of hands to hold the cylinder till you get the last clip in. Good luck:thumbup:

yamaha G1 owner 07-29-2016 08:25 PM

Thanks for the advice I will take piston back off and try doing this on work bench. I there a certain way the rings need to go and are the two rings identical

doyleliz@att.net 07-29-2016 09:59 PM

With 2 cycle it's critical that the ring gaps are at the right place.look for the little pins in the ring groove. That is were the gap meets there is also a Sligh bevel at the end of the ring gap on both ends which will also match the pins I've found it helpful to put a little grease at the pin to help hold it in place while I'm compressing the rings as was mentioned before the arrow on the piston must face the exhaust on most two cycles. Hope I helped please if I've spoken out of turn someone correct me.

yamaha G1 owner 07-31-2016 04:22 AM

Thanks to BGW members, I love this site, so much knowledge, I took the advice given, but realised that there was quite a bit of carbon build-up in the piston ring grooves, prevently me from sliding the piston into the bore, once I cleaned out these grooves it slid in beautifully, my Yamaha G1 is running like a kitten and I have just been out and played 18 holes of golf and loving my G1. Thanks again BGW members.

gornoman 07-31-2016 07:47 AM

Another BGW success story! Great job guys!

scottyb 07-31-2016 07:50 AM

Nice! Congratulations - have a refreshment. You earned it :mrgreen:

smallblock450sl 07-31-2016 10:58 AM

You didn't clean the ring grooves first? Shame on you:-P Glad your car is PURRING again. Good for you and Enjoy:thumbup: