Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   48 volt club car new batteries, but SLOW (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=43985)

steve szabo 02-06-2011 01:43 PM

48 volt club car new batteries, but SLOW

I have a 48 volt club car 1995, I tested the old batteries and they were all weak but not bad. I replaced them all with brand new batteries. The cart is still slow? Is there something that could be causing this. It has a 3.5 hp motor, vglide looks good , wires look good,
I have another 48 volt car that is a whole lot faster so I know this thing has something holding it back. Could there be a type of govener on it?

sonicj 02-06-2011 03:39 PM

Re: 48 volt club car new batteries, but SLOW

how slow? 8-9mhp or 13-14mph? 13-14mph is about right for a stock ds. this about 5mph slower than a sepex with the speed code unlocked.

your cart will get faster as the batteries start to break-in. this period can last as many as 50 charges. check your breaks for drag, correct tire pressure, toe angle, transaxle lube. all potential sources for drag.
-sj

steve szabo 02-06-2011 03:58 PM

about 8 to 9mph. I have something holding it back somewhere.
I have another 48 volt same type of setup and its much faster 18mph.
Any sugestions on where to start.

OLD MEC 02-06-2011 06:15 PM

Any modifications on cart? larger diameter tires, lift kit, rear seat, HD springs, etc, anything different than stock parts that you know of? Anything added will slow speeds down SOME until you offset with equipment changes. New battery break in also slows cart for 30-50 discharge-charge cycles. Question did you get quality battery? Makes big difference depending on QUALITY and AMP Hour Rating?
If your cart is a regen ( rocker F&R control switch ) and newer after market controller it could be set at lower speed setting? Also the motor has a speed sensor on outboard end that turns regen on and off and it could be defective or cracked?
Actually most stock carts in that year 8 to 12 MPH was about top speed?

steve szabo 02-06-2011 06:41 PM

the cart is all stock with exception to a rear seat kit. The batteries are interstate they are not the best but I use them all the time and have had good luck. It is not a regen also. the motor is a 3.1 or 3.5 hp. Its just so strange that I have an almost idential 48 volt stock cart the runs so much beter with the exact same set up. To increase the speed what would be the least exspensive way. Replace controler? Maybe the motor is weak? I just think there is something im missing. Thanks for the feedback.

GLEEMO 02-06-2011 07:16 PM

Check the break cables , make sure no drag.

scottyb 02-06-2011 08:49 PM

What year is your other 48v CC? I remember my first 48v cart was a 95 CC I threw batteries in it and thought wow ~ How did they do this... 33% more voltage and it's slower than a 36v resistor cart. That was the 95 CC. You could check the pot output at the controller but my guess is design problems.

steve szabo 02-06-2011 09:57 PM

the other is a 2000. were u able to speed yours up.

golfcarfixer 02-06-2011 10:46 PM

95s are notorious for the brakes dragging you might want to check that.Put the car in neurtral and see how much labor it takes to push it.Then get back with us.:thumbup:

markm 02-07-2011 10:50 AM

What is the solution for dragging brakes? I have a 95 and my brakes are dragging pretty bad. I have a lift on it and it almost seems like my cables are too short.