Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ausco disc brake install (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=86250)

smallblock450sl 10-01-2013 07:38 PM

Ausco disc brake install

5 Attachment(s)
Since Scottyb is almost giving away the Ausco cable disc brake kit's, I thought I'd install them on Wilson. Actually the instructions are pretty straight forward, with 2 exeptions for Yamaha's (G1/G2/G9/G8/G11 and early G14's with Yamaha style transaxles). The easy one, the stock brake backing plate/axle retainer bolts are not long enough for the caliper plate, sorry didn't take a measurement:thumbdown: Now for the tougher one. The brake cable attatchment plate is a problem, I tried the installation attatchment sheets instructions, a 3/8" washer (1/16 to 1/8 inch thick) and cut a 3/16" slot. The problem is the stock Yamaha brake cable mount uses a 1/8" plate for the e-clip attatchment, the bracket on the Ausco kit is 1/4 to 17/64 thick (probably for Club Car or Ezgo brake cables). On the first test fit, I ground the bracket down to accept the cable/washer and e-clip, it worked, but came up with a better plan. Cut 2, 1/8" small plates, drilled a holes to accept the stock brake cable end, drilled out the Ausco bracket to alow the stock cable "shoulder" to go through it, so the e-clip would secure it. Welded on the plates and good to go. Can't tell you about Club Cars or Ezgos, but Yamahas have a short cable (ds) and a longer one (ps) and when I went to adjust the cables at the equlizer, the longer cable doesn't always return to the "released" position. There was no "brake dragging" with pedal dissengaged, but the pedal "throw" to "locked position" felt funny. Do they work? Yep:thumbup: It was wet outside so even with lite pressure the tires would "lock up" and on dry pavement they seemed very "sound". Would I do it again....don't know. Anyone need G1 to early G14 backing plate new brake shoe assy's?

Mike Mac 10-01-2013 10:55 PM

Re: Ausco disc brake install

Nice work block!! Would like ta see the other side, (goin back together)!!:thumbup:

toadady 10-03-2013 09:32 PM

i had a issue with the caliper mount bolts rubbing the inside of the wheel, took some trimming of those spacers to make it come out.

bottom_gun 10-05-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 938116)
Anyone need G1 to early G14 backing plate new brake shoe assy's?

Smallblock,

I am just up the road from you in Belfair. I just got an 81 G1 that is in desperate need of brakes. Please let me know what you want for your brakes.

Thank you in advance.

scottyb 10-05-2013 06:08 PM

Thank you Dave for being the Guinea Pig on this one.... Curious why Ausco says they fit? The Ezgo and CC brakes fit without modification.... Oh the poor forgotten Yamahas.... :-P

PS
I will direct anybody who inquires about Yamaha Disc brakes to this thread first. Would the problem be the same for the electric models? Thank you :thumbup:

smallblock450sl 10-05-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottom_gun (Post 939833)
Smallblock,

I am just up the road from you in Belfair. I just got an 81 G1 that is in desperate need of brakes. Please let me know what you want for your brakes.

Thank you in advance.

Replied to PM.

smallblock450sl 10-05-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 939844)
Thank you Dave for being the Guinea Pig on this one.... Curious why Ausco says they fit? The Ezgo and CC brakes fit without modification.... Oh the poor forgotten Yamahas.... :-P

PS
I will direct anybody who inquires about Yamaha Disc brakes to this thread first. Would the problem be the same for the electric models? Thank you :thumbup:

I guess the cable mount bracket was designed for Ezgo/Club car cables with longer brake cable shoulders. Wasn't happy with there "washer" fix, really it cant work. All Yamaha brake cables (except for the drive) use the same style brake cable's. Oh the poor Ezgo and Club car's.....they just dream of being Yamaha's:lhmo:

stevet13 05-30-2019 03:50 PM

can anyone recommend who has the best and easiest to install disk brakes. Ausco - jakes - yamaha my 2000 yamaha g16 cart is strictly for the woods so clearance is a must