Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Motor Upgrade (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=145752)

stevewise033 09-02-2018 06:55 PM

Motor Upgrade

Hello everyone. Fairly new to the golf carting world, having recently purchased my first cart. I bought a 2002 DS that's in great condition. As I'm sure many others have done with theirs, I want to upgrade the motor for better performance. It's basically at golf course speed, and of course, slow going uphill. I know there are several after market motors out there that can be ordered. Does anyone have thoughts on good brands, overall performance abilities, etc ? And correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the controller have to be upgraded also ? Thanks for any and all info.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Htownblue 09-02-2018 07:37 PM

Re: Motor Upgrade

Plum Quick or Admiral in my opinion. Depending on what you are looking for out of the cart a new controller may be a better investment than a motor alone.

stevewise033 09-02-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htownblue (Post 1537341)
Plum Quick or Admiral in my opinion. Depending on what you are looking for out of the cart a new controller may be a better investment than a motor alone.

Htownblue, that's part of what I'm trying to get educated on. Explain what the controller does, vs a stronger motor ? Thanks

TexTurbo 09-05-2018 03:40 PM

Steve,

Here is a well worded explanation of the drive system in your cart

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/sepex-upgrades.html

Scottyb is also a sponsor of the site. Dave at Revolution Carts is also a sponsor
in the world of upgrades, buy where you get help and support.... you can trust these guys... I have... MANY times !!!

BEFORE you spend a cent, have a plan, know what you need, stick to the plan...
(no need to ask me how I know):lhmo:

Swan 09-05-2018 04:19 PM

theres a lot of options out there , plum quick has a bandit upgrade (which is upgrading your motor 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of new ) to full torque or speed motors . Also you cant go wrong with Dave or Scottyb

https://www.plumquick.com/

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/album...?dl=1501633678 Is now open

Click Swan's Pick'em

scottyb 09-05-2018 04:32 PM

The speed controllers function is to limit the motor's access to the battery pack. Given a direct connection the motor would draw as much amperage as it could for as long as the pack or the motor lasts.... This device regulates the current flow much like a faucet regulates water.

There are a few basics to understand when upgrading a golf cart. First you must learn which drive system the cart has. Is it series or sepex? And if it is sepex is it regen 1 or 2, or is it IQ
Then you need to have a plan. Are you building up for speed or off road use?
If you know what the end result should be you can usually upgrade in steps that will lead to your goal without having to do any backtracking

stevewise033 09-05-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1538350)
The speed controllers function is to limit the motor's access to the battery pack. Given a direct connection the motor would draw as much amperage as it could for as long as the pack or the motor lasts.... This device regulates the current flow much like a faucet regulates water.

There are a few basics to understand when upgrading a golf cart. First you must learn which drive system the cart has. Is it series or sepex? And if it is sepex is it regen 1 or 2, or is it IQ
Then you need to have a plan. Are you building up for speed or off road use?
If you know what the end result should be you can usually upgrade in steps that will lead to your goal without having to do any backtracking

Wow. Tons of very useful information. That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much guys. I can make an informed decision now. I live in a pretty hilly neighborhood, so I'm willing to sacrifice a little top end speed for more torque to climb the hills a little better and for carrying 4 people. Thanks again for all the responses

stevewise033 09-05-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevewise033 (Post 1538355)
Wow. Tons of very useful information. That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much guys. I can make an informed decision now. I live in a pretty hilly neighborhood, so I'm willing to sacrifice a little top end speed for more torque to climb the hills a little better and for carrying 4 people. Thanks again for all the responses

Scottyb, it's a series cart, and I'm just looking to beef it up just a tad. Mostly for neighborhood riding and hauling a couple passengers from time to time. No off road use, and no desire to go 30 mph. Just better than golf course speeds with a little more torque for hills

stevewise033 09-05-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevewise033 (Post 1538355)

See I mean. Sorry

stevewise033 09-05-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevewise033 (Post 1538357)
See I mean. Sorry

Sepex. **** spell check lol