Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can not align after 4 inch lift kit installed (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=153358)

RRC44 05-28-2019 05:47 PM

Can not align after 4 inch lift kit installed

Installed 4 inch lift kit purchased from Buggies Gone Wild 98 EZGO TXT. The right tire has excessive tow-in that can not be corrected. Alignment was okay prior to installing lift kit. The tie rods are turned down to their maximum travel distance, correct tow-in is not even close. Not sure why, other than bad lift kit.

To gain more travel, the tie rod would need to me shortened, can this be done?

Other idea's?:roll:

yurtle 05-28-2019 06:10 PM

Re: Can not align after 4 inch lift kit installed

Anything can be done, but why should you have to?

I'd contact the seller. You indicated it was a site sponsor? No need to name names, but most everyone here has had nothing but good experiences with site sponsors.

RRC44 06-05-2019 05:11 PM

Able to get alignment by shortening tire rod 5/8.

RRC44 06-11-2019 05:35 PM

My alignment rack: -To get front wheels aligned parallel.
1) Measured distance on rear tires from outside right tire and outside left tire - 48in. (My measurement, yours may vary)
2) Draw two parallel lines (PL) at 48in on floor.
3) Position cart on two lines - Using a 4ft. 2x6 (MB) held against rear tires, positioned cart where board is parallel to lines on floor.
4) Center steering wheel.
4) Place (MB) against front wheels, draw line on floor, compare to (PL) to current wheel alignment. Lines drawn on floor provide excellent visual.
6) Measure distance from ball joint to frame point wheel with wheel out of parallel.
7) Turned wheel to parallel with (PL) floor line and remeasured same points, the difference in two measurements is what's needed to correct excessive tow-in.
8) Repeat process for other side.
9) Adjust tie rods measured distance difference, verify wheels are parallel to lines on floor.
Wheels are now parallel, cart tracks quite nicely, debating if I should finish moving wheels to 1/4 inch tow-in on each wheel per factory spec. With 4 inch lift and oversize wheels, not sure if specs still apply. I'll watch for tire wear.

yurtle 06-11-2019 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached.

Cobra,1 06-11-2019 07:53 PM

1/4” toe in should be fine. Keep in mind you want some amount of toe in as it helps stabilize steering. Lack of toe in or toe out will make steering twitchy
Or too sensitive to steering input.

Toe will influence how fast steering reacts to input from steering wheel.
Toe in dampens that input.
Toe out amplifies that input.

Oversized wheels (depending on amount of suspension travel ) may need slightly
Less or more toe in compared to stock tires. Recommend starting with stock alignment specs. If cart feels twitchy increase 1/8” at a time.