Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Restoration (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Older Cushman cart, info needed (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=186902)

Gunner7800 09-21-2022 10:01 AM

Older Cushman cart, info needed

5 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired an older Cushman cart. My best guess from what I found online is that it's a late 1960's Golfster Deluxe. I've been all over it and haven't been able to find a serial tag. Does anyone have experience with these? I posted another thread about a 1960's EZGO and I found another parts cart for it. But I fell in love with this cart and am thinking I'll work with this one first. It's a 36V with a GE motor. I think it's pretty much complete. I thought I'd upgrade it to a solid state system rather than go back to the resistors. Not sure if I want to dump that much money into it but, this is a cart I plan to keep.

mrmotoguzzi00 09-21-2022 01:22 PM

Re: Older Cushman cart, info needed

That's pretty cool actually :) The body looks pretty intact. love the top.

Talk to Scottyb at cartsunlimited one of our sponsors if ya decide to go solid state, he has kits just for this kind of thing and will walk you through it if needed:)

Lochlin 09-22-2022 04:26 PM

I have a '68 Cushman Golfster and it looks nothing like that. That said, I have a feeling that the "deluxe" may be reasoning. The steering wheel, front / rear bumpers, and the motor / drive train look the same as in my cart. Can you post up a few pics of the inside area? It sure would be nice if that has the same set up as normal Golfsters and only the body being different.

Here is manual to the regular Golfster. Here's hoping it applies to your cart:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=184682

Gunner7800 09-23-2022 01:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lochlin (Post 1910253)
I have a '68 Cushman Golfster and it looks nothing like that. That said, I have a feeling that the "deluxe" may be reasoning. The steering wheel, front / rear bumpers, and the motor / drive train look the same as in my cart. Can you post up a few pics of the inside area? It sure would be nice if that has the same set up as normal Golfsters and only the body being different.

Here is manual to the regular Golfster. Here's hoping it applies to your cart:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=184682

The F&R and key switches are between the seats, think a lot of them were like this. You can see it as the turn dial on the left side of the last picture. I hope the manual covers at least some of this cart. I'd like to see what yours looks like and where you sourced parts. I have an early 80's EZGO Marathon, I thought about swapping rear axles and motors just to get something a little more recent that I can find parts/upgrades for. Right now I have no idea if the motor even works. Need to put some batteries in it and test it.

Lochlin 09-26-2022 09:57 AM

Your cart is undeniable a Cushman. The gas / brake pedals are a dead give away. I have been monkeying around with vintage carts for well over a decade now and I have never seen one like you have so I would guess it's a bit more rare than some of the others. Unfortunately with golf carts, though, rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable. I will try get you some pics of my cart but it's at a camp 100 miles and I won't be there again until Friday.

The only place that really maintains hoards of parts for these old carts is vintagegolfcartparts.com in Washington. Their website is also an awesome reference source for gathering part models, looking for compatibles and such. Sometimes, though, you just have to get crafty and make things / figure things out for yourself. Heck, I am using and old school fan switch from a school bus for speed control on an old Pargo. You'll get there.

Gunner7800 09-26-2022 04:43 PM

I did get lucky and found a Facebook page dedicated to vintage Cushman golf carts where I found several like mine. I'm pretty sure it is a 1965-1967 "Trophy". The biggest problem so far is not having a serial tag to narrow down the exact year. I'm guessing there wasn't much difference in the manufacturing in those years, hopefully a manual for any of those years would cover basically all of them.

Lochlin 09-27-2022 07:28 AM

I am sure that all the years for that cart would be the same schematically. Again, all carts of this era were very similar. I am sure that, even if you can't find a manual or exact parts, your cart can be made to run again.

I restored a 1960 Kelson Sports Rider a couple of years ago (I have a thread on it somewhere here) and there is neither parts nor manuals available for it. I was able to adapt things from other carts and otherwise improvise to get it going.

bobbyg68 11-29-2022 01:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have been restoring that exact golf cart, I have determined it is a 1968 Cushman GC-400, my Grand Cushman is powered by a Kohler 10hp K241 iron line gas engine. The GC-400 was produced between 1967-1974, I have searched high and low for parts online and I ran across a FB post someone had an old golf cart frame with everything I needed to repair my broken clutches and it even had an intact front bumper and brackets. I'm having to do a lot of fiberglass repair, do to not having a front bumper. I did salvage some key parts of the frame and suspension.

Gunner7800 12-01-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyg68 (Post 1919466)
I'm having to do a lot of fiberglass repair, do to not having a front bumper. I did salvage some key parts of the frame and suspension.

I have quite a bit of fiberglass repair to do as well, which is not something I'm experience in, but I think I have a good grasp of it. Might have to have you give me some pointers:lol: I assume you will strip the paint, what will you use to do that?
I was able to find a lot of parts and the manuals here https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/Category/cushman. I may have to bribe you for anything you don't need, lol. I'd really like to find some replacement trim pieces that run along the edges of the floor board and the ball box that sits between the seats. Mine are in pretty rough shape.
I'm fortunate to have all of the canopy pieces to work with as well. It has a broken cross piece that I'll replace and I have a local company that can make the canvas top. I also got lucky with a family friend who has a bunch of Cushman stuff. He had a couple old carts that share a lot of the same parts as mine and let me rob some pieces.

ThreeCW 12-01-2022 11:43 AM

It is nice to see an old Cushman being brought back to life :thumbup: