Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Big Block Talk! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Talk Me Into a Big Block Swap (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=165476)

Springbok 06-19-2020 06:52 AM

Talk Me Into a Big Block Swap

I have a 1990 Club Car with a KF82 that seized on me last week. Cart was running great other than being underpowered. I never really noticed how underpowered it was until I put a back seat on it and started hauling around more than two adults at a time.

Things I'm not enthused about with the swap are primarily the noise (I hear these motors are louder) and the extra speed. I hear that there are mufflers out there that do a pretty good job of quieting the motor, and someone said that if I used my stock clutches that the speed will be kept under control (but does that also mean that if the motor is pushed that the stock clutches could be destroyed?). Also not looking to spend a ton of money...but most of us aren't...lol

I primarily drive in a 500 acre campground and just want something with good power but not too crazy in the speed department. 20mph is plenty for me. I don't want to be compelled to upgrade my brakes, add seat belts, and be more prone to rollovers and serious accidents if the cart gets too fast. I just want the cart to not slow to a crawl (or outright fail) when I climb moderate to steep hills, and have a little more pulling power.

https://i.imgur.com/pS9QEaL.jpg?1

raydhd 06-19-2020 07:50 AM

Re: Talk Me Into a Big Block Swap

If you want to go top of the line get a honda Gx 390 with its 3 year warranty and probably the quietest of that engine family. With its electronic governor you probably won't be any faster than your stock engine. Cheaper than it are a whole series of clones. Which ever you choose I would not butcher the crank for a clutch adapter but rather use a genuine comet 780 which can be tuned to suit what ever you desire.

jdavila99999 06-19-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raydhd (Post 1732220)
If you want to go top of the line get a honda Gx 390 with its 3 year warranty and probably the quietest of that engine family. With its electronic governor you probably won't be any faster than your stock engine. Cheaper than it are a whole series of clones. Which ever you choose I would not butcher the crank for a clutch adapter but rather use a genuine comet 780 which can be tuned to suit what ever you desire.

Does that mean reverse is unusable with that Honda 390? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jclark138 06-19-2020 10:20 AM

Reverse is a function of the rear-end in your cart, so wouldn’t change with a different engine.

Shepard 06-19-2020 10:56 AM

Simple if there's room -- 420 Predator engine - complete with gas tank and muffler using the stock clutches. Just as it comes out of the box - that's as cheap as you can get.

jclark138 06-19-2020 02:24 PM

Just changed jobs, and now have more carts to toy with including a 97 DS. I know it’s gas, and it’s parked, but so far I’m still 1700 miles away, so that’s all I know about it. Once I’m there we’ll see if it runs, and it maybe getting a Predator ! :thumbup:

Field6565 06-19-2020 03:29 PM

Are you looking to keep the stock pedal start/ stop operation or to go with a key start? I just did a 420 clone swap in an 88 DS a while back and bought the starter/ alternator bracket from Vegas Carts and it worked well with some modifications to it. On a side note, I'm loving the white letter tires on your cart. I'm assuming you colored those with a paint marker?

Springbok 06-19-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepard (Post 1732315)
Simple if there's room -- 420 Predator engine - complete with gas tank and muffler using the stock clutches. Just as it comes out of the box - that's as cheap as you can get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark138 (Post 1732366)
Just changed jobs, and now have more carts to toy with including a 97 DS. I know it’s gas, and it’s parked, but so far I’m still 1700 miles away, so that’s all I know about it. Once I’m there we’ll see if it runs, and it maybe getting a Predator ! :thumbup:

Does the predator already come with the 1" shaft that the stock drive clutch will press-fit onto?

Springbok 06-19-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Field6565 (Post 1732395)
Are you looking to keep the stock pedal start/ stop operation or to go with a key start? I just did a 420 clone swap in an 88 DS a while back and bought the starter/ alternator bracket from Vegas Carts and it worked well with some modifications to it. On a side note, I'm loving the white letter tires on your cart. I'm assuming you colored those with a paint marker?

I'm not looking for key start. I like the traditional pedal start with the starter/generator.

Yeah I used Dupli-Color "Hot Tires" white letter tire paint pen to do the tires. I painted those letters 3 years ago. I highly recommend the paint pen. My other cart has white letters on the tires too. Another tip I would give on the process is to remove your tires and lay them down with the back of the tire flat on the workbench. The pen is gravity-fed and works much better that way.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-ht100

Field6565 06-19-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbok (Post 1732435)
Does the predator already come with the 1" shaft that the stock drive clutch will press-fit onto?

Yes, the 420 Predator has a 1" straight shaft. You will need a clutch adapter and some modification for the stock clutch to work. Basically you have to shorten it and retap the crank. The stock clutches seem to work well with the clones. CPP and Vegas carts both sell the adapter. Around $40.