Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Design Center (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Best type of blade for cutting aluminum pipe (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171267)

Noonan 11-20-2020 04:54 PM

Best type of blade for cutting aluminum pipe

Tile pretty much says it all. I've ok so far with a sawzall for straight cuts, but I was hoping to find a blade that would fit my 10" miter saw to help with the angled cuts.
Anyone have any suggestions. I'm open to anything, hopefully before I use up all my material :lhmo:

scottyb 11-20-2020 05:25 PM

Re: Best type of blade for cutting aluminum pipe

For a radial type saw. The exact answer depends upon the diameter and rpm. But basically you want carbide teeth and lots of them.
And for God's sake be freking careful. If the pipe moves at all you will regret ever trying to cut it in this saw.

slonomo 11-20-2020 06:09 PM

Cutting aluminum is tricky. If it gets too hot it will melt and grab the blade. Most saws like this has oil to cool the blade. Recip is good, but make sure you use good quality 16t or 14t blades. Its nearly impossible to get perfect cuts with a recip saw. There are abrasive blades made for aluminum, but the chop saw you use must run slowly as to not build up heat.

My favorite way of cutting all kinds of kinds of pipe and rod is the bandsaw. I have one that uses gravity so you set your material in the clamp vise, turn on the saw, lower the saw, walk away....when the cut is made, the saw turns off. Come back, repeat. Fine tool.

Noonan 11-20-2020 06:52 PM

OK, it looks like I've once again picked another doozy of a first-time project. I will keep this advice in mind. After using a jig with a whole saw last night to try to notch the ends, I was planning to find a way to add water to cool while I cut. Is this a worthwhile endeavor or am just going to get wet while still doing it wrong? :lhmo:

Swan 11-20-2020 08:21 PM

hold it tight , fine tooth blade , dont force it and a spray bottle you will be fine .

Noonan 11-20-2020 09:19 PM

Cool, I think I found a decent band saw locally I think I'll give that and the water a try.

PingEye3 11-21-2020 01:49 PM

A rip blade will cut the aluminum pipe with ease. No need for a fine tooth or anything of the like. Its noisy as hell but cuts very well.

From 1978-1979, I worked inside the Mobile Launcher at KCS during the conversion for the Space Shuttle three exhaust holes from the Saturn single exhaust hole, making all of the required aluminum cable tray fittings from scratch for over a quarter mile of 24" cable tray installed within. I used a skill saw and rip blade for every cut made.

Capt. Lenny 04-06-2022 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so I'm a little late posting this. I have successfully and safely cut 3/8"-1/2" thick aluminum for a boat lift on my 10" table saw using the blade pictures. It has 60 teeth and they're on a different angle than what is used on a standard wood blade. Gave me a smooth cut and I didn't have to use water. Hope this helps somebody out!