Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CLUB CAR (GAS) REAR AXLE swap.....Are the gas and electric rear axles interchangeable (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=25534)

55belair567 11-07-2009 07:42 AM

CLUB CAR (GAS) REAR AXLE swap.....Are the gas and electric rear axles interchangeable

Hi: I have a 1989 CLUB CAR GAS.

My REAR AXLE went bad, can I use rear an axle from an electric cart?

I heard conflicting stories.

I heard on the older carts like mine you can, but on the newer ones you cant.

If so, what YEAR rear axles will work on my 1989 Gas cart?

My direct email address is: fbimarco@yahoo.com

Does anyone have one in/around Maryland???

Thanks

doolin 11-07-2009 09:21 AM

Re: CLUB CAR (GAS) REAR AXLE swap.....Are the gas and electric rear axles interchange

It will not work. Thay are totally different. A 96 or gas rear end spin counter clockwise 97 and newer are clockwise maybe that is what you meant. Most people doing bb carts on newer clubcars want the older rear ends. An electric rear end the motor goes right into the side of the rear end ( no tranny) the motor turns f &r. Hope this helps

scottyb 11-07-2009 09:28 AM

Re: CLUB CAR (GAS) REAR AXLE swap.....Are the gas and electric rear axles interchange

The same axles will fit 1985-96 Electric and 1986-96 Gas with a Kawasaki rear....

doolin 11-07-2009 09:57 AM

My bad I can't read. Thought you meant rear end sorry. Thanks Scotty for clearing that up.

scottyb 11-07-2009 10:01 AM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

55belair567 11-07-2009 06:37 PM

So, if I understand correctly...

The same axles will fit 1985-96 (Electric) and 1986-96 (GAS) with a Kawasaki rear.

So, that means since I have a 1989 (GAS) CLUB CAR, and a CLUB CAR Electric will AXLE around the same year as mine, will inter-change?

Let me ask another question: It maybe a DUMB one, but, I'll ask anyway, you have a LEFT rear axle and a RIGHT rear axle and it bolts to a transmission in the middle or is there a center section with gears in it? My cart is at my friends house, so I never noticed....

My direct email is: fbimarco@yahoo.com

scottyb 11-07-2009 08:57 PM

We say the only dumb question is the one not asked......:thumbup:
Yes there is a cluster of gears in the middle and no, the two axles are not the same there is a left and right side :thumbup:

RickyLee 08-24-2012 12:40 PM

does the axle have to be disconnected inside the deferential first, or does it just slide out?

KRAZYMATT 08-25-2012 11:12 AM

it slides into the spines in the differential.

RickyLee 08-25-2012 11:52 AM

I got rear hub and brake assembly off and just can't seem to get the axle to come out . I also did remove the snap ring out of the axle shaft housing. I really don't know if the axles are my problem or not she'll spin the inside gears of the differential but not the axles...