Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club Car runs slow in reverse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=7373)

Lou77 08-16-2008 10:57 AM

Club Car runs slow in reverse

I have an 80's resistor 36v cart. It runs slow slow in reverse. Works fine in forward. I can hear the solenoid clicking. I disassembled the f/r switch, it looked good so I sanded the contacts and reassembled. Still runs slow in reverse. Three weeks ago one of the steel bars from the right coil burnt into. Replaced it with a copper bar. Any suggestion as to where to go from here.

rusty 08-16-2008 11:02 AM

Re: Club Car runs slow in reverse

Welcome to the forum Lou77.....................

pggroves 08-16-2008 08:16 PM

I had an 84 DS and as I recall on that vintage Club Car, reverse only uses 18v and I believe they are the 3 batteries under the drivers butt. IIRC.

HTH.

scottyb 08-16-2008 10:37 PM

Fuzznuts, You are right = 18 volt reverse. The simplest rewire I have come up with is this; There are two positive cables coming off of the two terminals on the bottom of the F&R switch. One is green and connects to the pos terminal on battery #3. Unfasten it from the battery and connect it to the other terminal on the bottom of the F&R switch. You now have the same 48v source for both F and R.

However I am confused and concerned about this statement. Maybe Lou77 can clarify this: "Three weeks ago one of the steel bars from the right coil burnt into. "

Fish out of water 08-17-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 87446)
Fuzznuts, You are right = 18 volt reverse. The simplest rewire I have come up with is this; There are two positive cables coming off of the two terminals on the bottom of the F&R switch. One is green and connects to the pos terminal on battery #3. Unfasten it from the battery and connect it to the other terminal on the bottom of the F&R switch. You now have the same 48v source for both F and R.

However I am confused and concerned about this statement. Maybe Lou77 can clarify this: "Three weeks ago one of the steel bars from the right coil burnt into. "

This should work for a 2000 CC 48v cart YES?

scottyb 08-17-2008 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Are your positive power cables set up as I described? If so yes it will work for 36 and 48v. Use your voltmeter to be sure that you are moving a positive cable to a positive location if you are not sure. There are alot of voltage and amps there to be guessing about! This picture here is from a 48v CC. You can see where I have installed a copper bar across the two terminals at the bottom of the F&R switch. Then I no longer need the reverse positive power cable. IMO this is the best way to accomplish this but, the cable will work to tie them together.
Full Power Reverse Bar

Lou77 08-17-2008 06:58 PM

The coils are connected to the solenoid with a z shaped 3/4 x1/8 steel bar. the bar burnt into at the solenoid. I took a 1/2 copper tubing, beat it flat bent it to shape and drilled holes to match the steel bar. Was this bar steel to increase resistance?

roady89 08-17-2008 07:03 PM

A resistor coil is made of a special material. I can't think of the name but it's not steel or copper. It acts just like it's name implies. A "Resistor".

If you just connected the solenoid to the resistor all you did was make a connection, you didn't interfere with the way the resistors work.

shadowman 08-17-2008 08:25 PM

remember all resistor coils are not the same, they are didderent thickness, different # of coils or wraps.........a coild from a 48 volt regan cart won,t work as its entirely different........1st speed is thin with 7 or 9 coils, 2nd speed is thicker with 5 or 7 coils......and so on...........................8)

Lou77 08-18-2008 06:30 PM

I changed the cart from 18v to 36v in reverse as ScottyB suggested. It works fine. Sorry for the time between posts, my bride don't like clutter so I have the cart at my shop and the internet is @ home or my office. Thanks to everyone for the info and help.