Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   UPDATE-(THANKS TO BOB BOYCE...)New 72 volt L6...NO LONGER SLOW.... (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=143697)

jkpinatl 07-06-2018 09:38 AM

UPDATE-(THANKS TO BOB BOYCE...)New 72 volt L6...NO LONGER SLOW....

I posted early this week about a pair of new 72 volt L6's that a friend and I ordered and our utter disappointment in the level of speed and acceleration that was locked down at the factory. I understand EZgo has to worry about liability but the 16 MPH top speed on 'rabbit' mode and acceleration of a Yugo with a bad plug wire was not acceptable.

I was told by two dealers that this cart had NO available programming options and the ONLY way to get the performance enhanced was through a controller swap (but that no aftermarket controllers existed for a 72v cart).

Thankfully BGW Legend Bob Boyce let me know he thought he could teach the carts a few 'Tricks'. Three days later I have a cart with great acceleration and a top speed of 25 MPH. My buddy has a cart that tops out at just over 30 MPH. (I have a teenager and 25 is enough for us). We are both thrilled with the results.

The great thing, this is with no new parts or hardware modifications. Just a genius and his programming equipment. The performance gains barely tax the cart and the speed and torque could easily be increased further. Coming from an RXV, the increased torque of the 72 volt AC in the new carts is unbelievable. While my RXV would reach 23-24 mph on flat ground it would lose speed on a grade. The 72 volt cart holds speed up hills even with 6 passengers and a cooler.

I could not be happier with the cart and wanted to give a heartfelt THANKS to Bob! His knowledge of these carts and systems is truly incredible!!

FluxCapacitor 07-06-2018 11:29 AM

Re: UPDATE-(THANKS TO BOB BOYCE...)New 72 volt L6...NO LONGER SLOW....

Excellent

BobBoyce 07-06-2018 12:48 PM

Thank you for your kind words Jeff. I'm glad that I was able to do what was needed. I really love that 72V system with a real Curtis EV controller, not a golf cart controller. You are right about the performance. The application is barely using the capabilities of the platform. The motor RPM was set to soft limit at 6,000 RPM, I upped it to 8000 RPM. There was no need to go higher. The hard limit is 12,000 RPM, much higher than the average E-Z-GO vehicle. With the setup your L6s have, I have no doubt that you could reach 50+ MPH if you so desired. The 7.0 KW rear transaxle has the power to do it, and the controller is fully capable with the 72V battery system that it has. It was good to meet you guys and I enjoyed the rides while we dialed in the performance.

Bob

Biverson 11-02-2018 04:22 PM

Hey guys. I have a 2019 EZGO S6 72v on order and am becoming concerned that we may be disappointed in the performance. Is there a way to increase the top speed a little - <25mph? It will be in the Phoenix area.

Thanks!

BobBoyce 11-02-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biverson (Post 1556056)
Hey guys. I have a 2019 EZGO S6 72v on order and am becoming concerned that we may be disappointed in the performance. Is there a way to increase the top speed a little - <25mph? It will be in the Phoenix area.

Thanks!

Put it on a trailer and bring it over this way. I can solve that performance issue. I'm not willing to drive to AZ to do it though. My health is now suffering...

Bob

EZGO1717 11-12-2018 02:27 PM

Hey, Bob. Where do you go with the OEM handheld within program to change the rpm settings?

BobBoyce 11-12-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZGO1717 (Post 1559029)
Hey, Bob. Where do you go with the OEM handheld within program to change the rpm settings?

That cannot be done with the handheld. It takes a laptop running at Development level to change those high level (Development and Factory level) parameters. The handheld is used to dial the OEM and lower level parameters down after the higher level parameters are turned up.

EZGO1717 11-13-2018 07:53 AM

So there is no way to increase the speed slightly with the handheld?

BobBoyce 11-13-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZGO1717 (Post 1559264)
So there is no way to increase the speed slightly with the handheld?

It depends upon how the L6 was set when it came from the factory. If it was already set to the maximum from the factory for the way the profiles are selected, then no. If you go in there and try changing profiles, you could very well mess up the twin modes, Rabbit and Turtle. It also depends upon which year and controller version the L6 was delivered with. The earlier L6 only had mode 1 (Rabbit) defined with a VCL, and the other setting (Turtle) was a subset within mode 1. If you tried to switch to mode 2, it had no VCL at all defined and there was no regen braking available in mode 2. In other words, mode 2 was useless. Wthout regen braking, operation was very unsafe at higher speeds. The drum brakes alone are only adequate for speeds of 12 MPH and below, and it's even a bit scary at the top end of that...

The newer L6 controller came from the factory with both mode 1 and mode 2 defined with VCLs that allow independent configurations, with regen braking supported in both. Those controllers also have a new OS that is not compatible with older programming systems. Those must be unlocked with a laptop or computer with the newer software and a different interface. Once unlocked and the top level (Development and Factory) limits are addressed, you can then use a high level handset to fine tune the lower level parameters to the owners liking. Then we save the files and relock the controller.

These are very complex controllers, and it is so easy to royally stuff up the operation of the L6 by making changes without knowing what you are doing. If anyone goes in and messes up one of these, they are on their own. I will not attempt to recover one that has had this done because I don't have a way to reset it back to factory original to uncorrupt it, before starting over.

I should add. Changing rear end gears to speed up one of these 72V carts should NEVER be done... That changes the controllers motor current/RPM mapping, causing the motor to draw much more current than it was designed for. The maps in the controller will not match what the motor requires anymore. The end result will be premature failure of the controller and motor from overheat. The controllers in these carts are not bolted to a proper heat sink for higher current draw. They are just mounted to a flat mounting plate.

Bob

EZGO1717 11-13-2018 09:53 AM

Thanks, Bob! Anyway I can send you a couple controllers to program?