Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2006 IQ Club Car convert to high volt lithium (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=102445)

Oneunder 01-27-2015 02:50 PM

2006 IQ Club Car convert to high volt lithium

I recently aquired a 2006 Precedent IQ Club Car. I have decided to swap out the FLA batteries with a LifePO4 pack. I did this with an EZ-GO 2 years ago with great results. The catch here is, this time I want to boost the volts.

I know right off I will need a new controller. My question is what else? If I keep it just south of 60 volts, ie 58 volts, will the motor and other electronics work? I know nothing of club cars. I have been doing some reading in the different sections about the unique nature of club cars and am hoping to get some feed back from those with experience with precedent IQ club cars.

cgtech 01-27-2015 05:29 PM

Re: 2006 IQ Club Car convert to high volt lithium

If you set your voltage just below to the cutoff, you may find that you need to wait after the charger cuts off for the pack voltage to settle before the controller will activate. All the rest of your electronics, including motor will be fine on higher voltage.

Andy4639 01-28-2015 07:04 PM

Buy a 48 to 72 volt controller from Altrax and get PQ to build the motor. You will need a solenoid and charger also. A Bandit will run on 60 volts but I wouldn't want to climb no hills with it.:thumbup:

Oneunder 01-28-2015 08:30 PM

The Alltrax DCX500 is the controller I am looking at. It's on my to do list to confirm its the best one for this build. The charger is part of my lifePo4 package. I am hoping that my existing motor and solenoid will work if my max voltage is 58 volts.

Andy4639 01-29-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneunder (Post 1115433)
The Alltrax DCX500 is the controller I am looking at. It's on my to do list to confirm its the best one for this build. The charger is part of my lifePo4 package. I am hoping that my existing motor and solenoid will work if my max voltage is 58 volts.

The DCX 500amps what voltage is it?
The motor will run for awhile and the solenoid will work for awhile the only thing is where you are when they do go out. That is the question?
You could wire the activation side on 48 volts though.
:thumbup:

Oneunder 01-29-2015 10:55 PM

Andy,
Do you mean program the controller to limit the volts to 48 to the motor?

I have not used a programable controller before. If I limited the volts, could I still get 25 mph on 20" tires?

sportcoupe 01-30-2015 05:12 AM

You can use the DCX500 to it's maximum volts (60v) with lithium batteries. That means either your BMS or charger cutoff will need to be around 58.8v depending on what cells you go with.

I have a 53v lithium yamaha cart running DCX500 on stock motor. The 53v pack charges to 58.8v and cuts off. It is absolutely perfect with the alltrax controller.

Build thread:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html

Going higher then 53v nominal adds great expense. Everything is much more expensive such as cells, charger, controller and most likely a new motor. In some cases it means converting to series system because sepex controllers past 60v are stupid expensive and programming requires special equipment.

Oneunder 01-30-2015 10:03 AM

Thanks for weighing in SC.

I have followed all of your builds with interest. I wasn't sure if the CC motor was different than the Ezgo or Yamaha that you had.

I wanted to use leaf batteries this time like you did but they are getting harder to come by...at least for me. So I went back to the same LifePO4 cells I used on my Ezgo build. This time 102 3.2v/120ah cells and a high power bms. With a full charge they will give me about what you got - I think. Roughly 58 volts. With my stock motor and the Alltrax controller and 205/30-12 tires, what kind of top speed would you expect?

Andy4639 01-30-2015 04:11 PM

A Altrax 450 amp 24 to 72 volts was what I was thinking about but it's a series controller, so it wouldn't work. That way it doesn't matter what your pack voltage is. Sorry:help:

sportcoupe 01-30-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneunder (Post 1115813)
Thanks for weighing in SC.

I have followed all of your builds with interest. I wasn't sure if the CC motor was different than the Ezgo or Yamaha that you had.

I wanted to use leaf batteries this time like you did but they are getting harder to come by...at least for me. So I went back to the same LifePO4 cells I used on my Ezgo build. This time 102 3.2v/120ah cells and a high power bms. With a full charge they will give me about what you got - I think. Roughly 58 volts. With my stock motor and the Alltrax controller and 205/30-12 tires, what kind of top speed would you expect?

I have 6 Leaf cells left over if anyone needs them. :lol:

Why would you need or even fit 102 LiFePo4, 120Ah cells in a golf cart? I think this might be a typo. :mrgreen:

16 lifepo4 120Ah cells in an all series arrangement charges to 3.6v per cell and will give you 57.6v fully charged pack voltage (51.2v nominal) with 120Ah capacity.

32 lifepo4 120Ah cells in a 2P16S arrangement will give you the same 57.6v pack but at 240Ah capacity. This will increase the range way beyond a stock cart.

A 205/30-12 tire is about 16.84" tall nominal, about stock golf cart tire height. A 58v peak charged lithium pack with Alltrax DCX500 should get about 26-28 mph on stock motor but it will get there in a hurry due to the light weight of a lithium cart. Adding larger tires while keeping the stock motor didn't gain much mph if any as you have about reached the stock motors limits I have found.