Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Just sold my club car ds and bought a yamaha gmax (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33366)

thetucks 05-23-2010 09:39 AM

Just sold my club car ds and bought a yamaha gmax

Hey guys I just sold my 01 club car ds with 6 inch lift and 22-11-10 wheels and bought a o4 yamaha gmax. I just ordered jakes 6 inch lift and am going to order some tires to put on my existing 12 inch rims.

My question is how can I turn up my engine just a little without disableing the govonor completely. My cart only runs at 12mph top speed now. Would like to get only around 18mph. I dont need anymore than that. Is there adjustment in the gas pedal to do this? thanks for your help.

dougmcp 05-23-2010 10:10 AM

Re: Just sold my club car ds and bought a yamaha gmax

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetucks (Post 409460)
My question is how can I turn up my engine just a little without disableing the govonor completely. My cart only runs at 12mph top speed now. Would like to get only around 18mph. I dont need anymore than that. Is there adjustment in the gas pedal to do this? thanks for your help.

I'm a sparky guy so no real help, just a thought.
If your cart runs 12mph now and you need 18mph, that's an rpm increase of 50%. Just seems to me like more than "turn up my engine just a little without disableing the govonor completely"

thetucks 05-23-2010 10:31 AM

I dont have to turn it up that fast just a little more. My father in law has a g16 and he runs by me. stock motor just has some adjustments. He still has his govonor in tact. Thats why I ask.

smallblock450sl 05-23-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetucks (Post 409475)
I dont have to turn it up that fast just a little more. My father in law has a g16 and he runs by me. stock motor just has some adjustments. He still has his govonor in tact. Thats why I ask.

It's very simple. Take off the access panel (below your sweaterbasket), you'll see the govenor arm. With a deep 10 mm socket and ratchet, turn the nut in on the threaded rod. The more you turn it in, the faster you'll go. Good luck and welcome to Yami land:thumbup:

thetucks 05-23-2010 10:51 AM

wow that seems really easy. I will try it this afternoon. Thanks

thetucks 05-24-2010 06:21 PM

ok I got to looking around a bit on the cart. I noticed that when I pushed the gas pedal down the cart dont start to move until its over half way down. So I followed the cables to the govoner in the back and when I push the pedal it takes so long because there was a lot of slack in the cable. So I adjusted the cable under the pedal up front. Now it will start a lot smoother and it gained 2mph also. So now I am cruzing 14mph on level ground. I may turn in that nut on the govonor a bit later to get a bit more. How much do I need to turn it in? I dont like for the cart to rev up real high. I like it smooth. thanks

smallblock450sl 05-24-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetucks (Post 409994)
ok I got to looking around a bit on the cart. I noticed that when I pushed the gas pedal down the cart dont start to move until its over half way down. So I followed the cables to the govoner in the back and when I push the pedal it takes so long because there was a lot of slack in the cable. So I adjusted the cable under the pedal up front. Now it will start a lot smoother and it gained 2mph also. So now I am cruzing 14mph on level ground. I may turn in that nut on the govonor a bit later to get a bit more. How much do I need to turn it in? I dont like for the cart to rev up real high. I like it smooth. thanks

You do want alittle slack at the pedal and on accelerator cable #2 (from govenor to carb), Why? because when you push on the pedal, you want the engine to turn over and the ignition to spark before the throttle shaft starts to open...To tight of cable adjustments will cause backfireing. Try the govenor nut adjustment, you can always readjust it back down.

thetucks 05-24-2010 07:40 PM

What is the highest I should let the rpms go if I turn up the govonor?

smallblock450sl 05-24-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetucks (Post 410032)
What is the highest I should let the rpms go if I turn up the govonor?

Turning up the govenor will not over rpm the engine. A really cool update is Tom's "CPP" ,"speed spring", It's really just a stiffer spring and when installed ...your car will go fast. Please do not let children drive the car without adult supervision....Children/young adults are fearless, I myself do not want anyone hurt.

thetucks 05-24-2010 08:53 PM

This stiffer spring, does it raise the rpms or just give you more ground coverage?? Where does a person get one at?? thanks