Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Extreme DC! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Upgrades? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=9321)

homer1 10-16-2008 08:41 AM

Upgrades?

I have a 90 marathon. With some help from your forum (thanks for the dwiring diagrams) I have diagnosed a bad controller. I believe I will keep the old cart and upgrade it. I have a few questions. I am going to convert to 48v. How much current will the factory motor pull @ 48v. Which controller is the best bang for the buck @ that amprage? Where can I find a 48v charger and how much? I already have 4ga cables on the cart. Are there any other upgrades I should make. And the big question- Will it outrun my brother-in-laws 04 pds cart?

Nate 10-16-2008 03:44 PM

Re: Upgrades?

I am going to have to make a few assumptions to answer your questions so your true results may vary a little.

Motor current:
At stock speed 38 amps (15 MPH)
At full speed 55 amps
Start up depends on controller's rated amperage

The forum crew can answer the cost question; Logisys seems to be pretty good.

Either use a 48V solenoid or tap 36V to your existing solenoid's energizing coil (small posts).

Good call on the 4-gauge cable.

You could hit 21 MPH with 48V, how fast is the 04 PDS? Keep in mind this speed is only an estimate.

Craigs list, eBay or a forum member on the charger.

SP-Electronics 10-16-2008 04:01 PM

There was someone selling a whole bunch of 48v chargers on ebay this week with no reserve. I watched a few sell for very little money. I myself was going to buy one but I'm currently in a tight spot.

Just checked and it looks like they sold all of them. I think they had 35 of them. Looks like they all sold in the $85-90 range too (CHEAP!). I am now really regretting not jumping on one of them.

homer1 10-16-2008 04:28 PM

I just ordered a GE5006, switch upgrade and 48v solenoid from a site sponsor. Can someone convert my 36V charger?

Nate 10-16-2008 04:30 PM

Homer1, that is a good question, I think they use the same transformers but I can't confirm that. Are you by chance near Austin, Texas? Bring it by if you are, if not shipping is too much for this kind of testing.

homer1 10-16-2008 05:33 PM

No, I am way over in Alabama. If I can't pick one up pretty cheap i will look into converting it. Anyone have the parts i ordered on a series Cart already? are you happy with it? I am almost as fired up to get this going as one of the car projects. I guess fast is fast no matter if its a golf cart or a car. I always thought you guys were nuts but i haven't even recieved the parts and I am already trying to decide which motor i should order. I think the bug has got me. Maybe the upgrades won't help it out that much so it will be easier to get the hook out.