Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   voltage reducer switch help! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=53226)

ramblin-wreck 08-21-2011 06:52 PM

voltage reducer switch help!

I've decided on a voltage reducer rather than an extra battery to power my lights and radio. However I'm a little worried about leaving the reducer hot all the time so I want to add a simple switch/disconnect on the 48v positive wire leading from the pack into the reducer. I'm sure someone has done this so I could sure use some help on what switch to use. Also will an 18 amp reducer be enough for the basicc precedent light package and a simple 2 speaker stereo system?

scubabud 08-21-2011 08:56 PM

Re: voltage reducer switch help!

Search the threads for a relay that is wired to your ignition switch. That will turn on and off with the key switch. If you want just a toggle switch, get a water proof or marine covered type switch that can handle the amps.

loneranger404 08-21-2011 09:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went thru a few toggle switches and ended up using a marine type ignition switch that had a rubber key cover. Although it was a 3-way switch, I only used two of the prongs. I then mounted it on to a piece of metal that I had cut to size and drilled holes....painted it red too. So far so good.

ramblin-wreck 08-22-2011 07:38 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I looked at gettinga marine ignition switch but it was $30 and still wasn't rated for 48v or enough amps. It seems to be pretty tough finding a 48v switch that will carry enough amps. I also thought about going the relay route but since I keep my cart in tow mode while stored anyway I thought it would be simpler to just add another switch under the seat and turn on both before I ride.

OLD MEC 08-22-2011 11:14 AM

A little more expensive but works great is an additional 48 volt solenoid wired to key switch so it automatically turns off each time cart isnt in use.

ramblin-wreck 08-22-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD MEC (Post 611338)
A little more expensive but works great is an additional 48 volt solenoid wired to key switch so it automatically turns off each time cart isnt in use.

I'm definitely open to this if I can determine the appropriate solenoid to use.

OLD MEC 08-22-2011 11:42 AM

I just purchase the same solenoid used on your cart so it can be used as back up if needed.

sonicj 08-22-2011 04:29 PM

voltage rating of the switch does not have to listed at 48V. normally, you would have to infer the ratings for 48V based on the ratings listed. ie: simple algebra
-sj

ramblin-wreck 08-22-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicj (Post 611483)
voltage rating of the switch does not have to listed at 48V. normally, you would have to infer the ratings for 48V based on the ratings listed. ie: simple algebra
-sj

Yeah I'll have to break out my old college textbooks to get the formula. I know that dc current is more prone to arcing than ac and you must derate an ac switch to know the dc voltage/amperage equivalent. Since I will be using this frequently I'm afraid an ac switch might fail sooner than I would like.

Rammer 08-23-2011 04:18 PM

Whatever you decide to do, will you update us here (pics would be great!) becuase I am going through the same thing right now and would like to know what worked for you. Also, which reducer did you purhcase and where? Thanks.