Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Melex (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Melex 36 Volt Cart only goes at slow speed (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=3803)

scatterbolts 03-10-2008 04:36 PM

Melex 36 Volt Cart only goes at slow speed

I have a 1993 Melex cart. When you press on the acelerator it starts to move then stops. If you are very slow and easy on it it will begin to move slowly. On a flat paved surface you can eventually get it going fast but it kicks out at any incline. If you jack up the rear tires so they are off the ground it seems to work fine. All batteries are about 3 years old all show 6.5+volts. It does the same thing in forward or reverse. Any ideas?

smallblock450sl 03-10-2008 07:06 PM

Re: Melex 36 Volt Cart only goes at slow speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbolts (Post 56803)
I have a 1993 Melex cart. When you press on the acelerator it starts to move then stops. If you are very slow and easy on it it will begin to move slowly. On a flat paved surface you can eventually get it going fast but it kicks out at any incline. If you jack up the rear tires so they are off the ground it seems to work fine. All batteries are about 3 years old all show 6.5+volts. It does the same thing in forward or reverse. Any ideas?

I'm thinking and hoping its the potentiometor in the potbox assy. Will look up specs and post tommarrow. You will need a voltmeter. Dave

scatterbolts 03-12-2008 07:36 AM

Thanks, I have a multimeter so I can check out whatever you tell me to. I will wait to here.

smallblock450sl 03-12-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbolts (Post 57027)
Thanks, I have a multimeter so I can check out whatever you tell me to. I will wait to here.

Man, I'm sorry, I forgot. Will try to look up and post tommorow. Dave

scottyb 03-12-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 57126)
Man, I'm sorry, I forgot. Will try to look up and post tommorow. Dave

Potentiometer 5K - 0, no?:?

smallblock450sl 03-13-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 57157)
Potentiometer 5K - 0, no?:?

Acually it's 0-5k ohms on melex. You must be thinking of a club car..it's 5k-0. Hope this helps. Later dave

scottyb 03-13-2008 09:51 PM

Thanks.

scatterbolts 03-14-2008 11:31 AM

So I sould read 0 and 5k when I press down on the accelerator?

smallblock450sl 03-14-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbolts (Post 57460)
So I sould read 0 and 5k when I press down on the accelerator?

Yes. 0 to start and slowly progress up to 5 k ohms at full throttle. Later dave

scatterbolts 03-20-2008 09:55 PM

I have been doing some more checking. Not sure how to get a reading on the Pot Box you talk about but I will keep looking. It looks and feels like it cuts out as you accelerate. It goes fine on the low speed (seems like it has low and high) also no problems on flat pavement. If I hold the cart back I can get it to not engauge at all when you press all the way down. Another question. Is the Controller box servicable? I have everything to check and service electronics at my shop but I don't want to pull the box if it is a block or something. Last but not least where is a good place to buy a replacement and how much do they run, thanks again.