Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Melex (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Melex Gas Cart (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=29514)

kdeerman 02-23-2010 06:23 PM

Melex Gas Cart

I have a Melex Gas Cart that has been lifted, and has 22" tires. It has the red motor which I beleive is the larger one. It will not climb as good as my stock ezgo electric with 20" tires. I have always heard that gas carts will do better than electric. I bought a belt from Nagy Carts in Arizona, (I beleive it was Arizona), but it didn't help. The guy there said there were 2 belts, but I am pretty sure I got the right one. He said it was probably the belt, and not the clutch. Could the clutch cause this? The ones I have found online are fairly expensive.
I bought it from my brother, who is kinda rough on stuff, so it has to be built like a tank. My brother said he adjusted the govenor of the carb to make it go faster, but I wouldn't think this would make it not climb as well. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

How can I determine the year model? I beleive I read that the red motor is a 1997 or newer.
Thanks.

kdeerman 02-23-2010 06:31 PM

Re: Melex Gas Cart

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdeerman (Post 366746)
I have a Melex Gas Cart that has been lifted, and has 22" tires. It has the red motor which I beleive is the larger one. It will not climb as good as my stock ezgo electric with 20" tires. I have always heard that gas carts will do better than electric. I bought a belt from Nagy Carts in Arizona, (I beleive it was Arizona), but it didn't help. The guy there said there were 2 belts, but I am pretty sure I got the right one. He said it was probably the belt, and not the clutch. Could the clutch cause this? The ones I have found online are fairly expensive.
I bought it from my brother, who is kinda rough on stuff, so it has to be built like a tank. My brother said he adjusted the govenor of the carb to make it go faster, but I wouldn't think this would make it not climb as well. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

How can I determine the year model? I beleive I read that the red motor is a 1997 or newer.
Thanks.

[ATTACH]Attachment 29112[/ATTACH]

Just Plain Crazy 02-23-2010 07:56 PM

You are right the RED Motor is the newer motor.I had that same motor in my gas cart, I couldn't make it faster no matter what I tried. I was told to offset the motor 7 degrees this would do what I needed. I tore the motor out instead and put a 660 Artic cat motor in it. The guy I sold the motor too put it in his cart and now with no Mods it flys, The only thing I could tell you is try to find a COMET DRIVE CLUTCH, these seem to be the best for what your looking for. Go to MELEX CLUB and look at the pics of my Melex.

kdeerman 02-24-2010 09:04 AM

Mine is plenty /too fast, it just won't climb as I expected it to. I have the 22" tires on it, which I'm sure are part of the problem. What do you mean by offsetting the motor? Is that something to do with the timing of the engine?
How do I get to Melex Club?
Thanks.

Just Plain Crazy 02-24-2010 11:03 AM

I mean off set the engine by loosening the mounting bolts and turn the motor 7 to 12 degrees to the left or right this will give you more use of the drive clutch and the driven clutch. I don't think the tires are the problem ( 22" rims) It sounds like a clutch problem but which one is going to be hard to figure out. I'll ask around and get back to you.
JPC

kdeerman 02-24-2010 11:22 AM

Thanks!

DOOmsman 02-24-2010 12:41 PM

KD, a thought if it goes fast it is shifting out through both clutches. Not climbing may mean a broken or weak spring in the secondary clutch. Just thinnen.
GOOD LUCK

kdeerman 02-24-2010 01:00 PM

Thanks, Do you know if you can replace the springs? These clutches are fairly expensive.
Thanks!

DOOmsman 02-24-2010 02:31 PM

I am not familiar with melex carts, sorry

kogieblack 04-03-2010 06:36 AM

What is the size (width and length) of your belt? I have a 512 Melex (don't know if its red or blue). I can't seem to find a supplier of melex belts. Also, the brake cable of ezgo txt seems to be applicable to the melex.

kdeerman 04-03-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kogieblack (Post 387440)
What is the size (width and length) of your belt? I have a 512 Melex (don't know if its red or blue). I can't seem to find a supplier of melex belts. Also, the brake cable of ezgo txt seems to be applicable to the melex.

You can get the belts from Nagy Golf & Turf in Arizona. I beleive they have two locations, Tucson, AZ - (520) 790-6966 and Mesa, AZ - (480) 396-4646.
They are very familiar with Melex. There are two different belts, but they can make sure you get the right one. Let me know which part # you get, because that may be the problem with mine not climbing well.
Thanks

kogieblack 04-03-2010 04:54 PM

Thank you so much, Kdeerman. I know the Melex belt is the longest I have seen (there are Melex carts in my golf club). Its like 46" long, measure from the outside edge.

exissebrith 03-05-2012 09:16 AM

niepowtarzalne zaproszenia slubne

Hello forum members! Greetings from Tappan

mginwyo 11-10-2013 02:37 PM

tucson location closed. only in mesa now

Jamesbr35 04-25-2019 11:01 AM

Do you know what lift kit is on it. Looks similar to mine and I am looking for parts.

bheisler 10-09-2019 03:07 PM

Was the stock rotation of a Melex motor all the same? If so, do we know what that is?

Looking at adding a 420 predator with CCW rotation and want to make sure I account for everything but without a motor in the cart I am starting with I don't know for sure.