Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fuel Issue... (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152169)

rschap1 04-24-2019 05:15 AM

Fuel Issue...

Having an intermittent fuel problem with my DS.
About a month ago I went to pull the cart out of the garage where it had been stored for winter here in Michigan.
Wouldn't go, wouldn't go, wouldn't go.
First thought was just hard starting after sitting in storage so long.
Pulled plug and it looked OK.
A shot of starting fluid got it going enough to move.
But that was it.
Another shot, short run.
Became obvious that it wasn't getting gas.
Looked at fuel pump and the "tube" connector connected to the crankcase was broke off the fuel pump's casting.
No idea how that happened, and quite sure my kids how drive this most often would say the same.
As a temporary fix I drilled the pump out a little larger and drove a roll pin in.
Wrapped the top of the roll pin with black tape to seal it's "seam".
Reinstalled the vacuum (?) hose to the motor and went for a ride.
Didn't seem to run the best and got about a 1/4 mile and it stalled.
Saw dry fuel filter.
Choked it and after some sputtering it went a little ways, stalled, choke, a little ways, stalled.
Bought a new fuel pump and installed, thought all set.
Still same stall issue.
Started checking into stuff and everything I checked seemed OK.

Only thing I was not sure of was what is the hose to the crankcase supposed "to do"???

I assumed only draw vacuum.
Seemed like it was alternating sucking and blowing.
I have searched here but found an overwhelming amount of info.
Read a little about vent hoses clogged and keeping fuel pump from working right.
Does that sound like what I have happening?
Is the crankcase hose to the fuel pump only supposed to draw and something like clogged vent tube making it blow and suck?
Also read about carbs full of filth from ethanol fuels not working right and showing fuel filters emptied out.
Appreciate any help or ideas that might be first things to check and look at.
THANKS very much in advance ! ! ! :thumbup:

meimk 04-24-2019 06:29 AM

Re: Fuel Issue...

It is a "pulse" line. As the piston travels up inside the engine, that movement creates a suction in the lower crankcase. Then as the piston travels back down it creates pressure in the crankcase. So yes the alternating push / pull is what moves a rubber diaphragm inside the fuel pump to move the fuel. Anything that interferes with that "pulse" will cause problems. That pulse line having too much slack in it will allow oil from the engine to fill in the low spot in that hose and minimize that pulse. The little round set of pins in the body of the pump is a vent - often gets plugged up with road debris and keeps it from pumping. In your case the roll pin & tape may not be a tight enough seal to do the trick.

BBBHC 04-24-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschap1 (Post 1607909)
Only thing I was not sure of was what is the hose to the crankcase supposed "to do"???

I assumed only draw vacuum.
Seemed like it was alternating sucking and blowing.
I have searched here but found an overwhelming amount of info.
Read a little about vent hoses clogged and keeping fuel pump from working right.
Does that sound like what I have happening?
Is the crankcase hose to the fuel pump only supposed to draw and something like clogged vent tube making it blow and suck?
Also read about carbs full of filth from ethanol fuels not working right and showing fuel filters emptied out.
Appreciate any help or ideas that might be first things to check and look at.
THANKS very much in advance ! ! ! :thumbup:

I'm no mechanic, but have had my share of headaches with gas engines stored over winter, not running good after. This sounds like a classic case of storing over winter with gas still in the lines and carb. Regardless of ethanol, which will cause fuel lines to break down quicker, gas stored for an appreciable amount of time without some sort of stabilizer will turn into a kind of "varnish". I would clean out your lines and carb thoroughly. Should take care of your issue I would think.

Any of my gas powered things, I always run them out of gas just before storing for any amount of time. Never had the issue since.

superpro56 04-24-2019 06:34 AM

Make sure the draw tube in the tank hasn't fallen off as well. Fuel line is cheap, replace it all along with a new filter. Sometimes winter can wreak havoc on these little engines.

rschap1 04-24-2019 08:02 AM

APPRECIATE all of the help.
Knowing that the line from the motor is supposed to pulse will keep me from wasting any time thinking it is only supposed to be vacuum.
I will look into the carb and possibly the fuel line inside the tank.
I blew back into the gas tank enough to hear bubbles, but I am sure that isn't enough to guarantee that couldn't be an issue too.
BIG THANKS !!!

CP241 04-24-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1607928)

Any of my gas powered things, I always run them out of gas just before storing for any amount of time. Never had the issue since.

Best advice you can get right here.

MY generator, mower, pressure washer, quads, etc. Anything that is going to sit for even a month, I will shut off the fuel and run it until the carb runs out of gas and it shuts itself down. I don't use the ethanol free fuel (because it's hard to find around me, and because it's way more expensive at the one place that does have it) but have never had a problem

rschap1 04-24-2019 12:13 PM

I do my best to store everything properly for the off seasons.
Being in Michigan, I have learned those lessons.
But have had a lot of smaller engines take a hit from the ethanol and/or modern gas.
All of my smaller engines, watercraft, and similar stuff get premium ethanol free fuel from a local Sunoco now.
About 10 years ago I had a snowmobile's new fuel lines fail after a season and a half, just from being ate up and perforated by ethanol.
My last weed whacker's owners' manual stated to never use fuel older than 30 days.
Reading that really stuck with me about how bad gas is now a days.
Guessing this is fuel delivery some how after seeing the fuel filters empty when the cart stalled out.
Going to look at the lines in the tanks since most of the other stuff I replaced when I put the new pump on.
Figured I would try to get at the carb too to see if there is any build up or corrosion clogging.

superpro56 04-24-2019 02:24 PM

Did you replace pulse line with clear or black hose? If it was black, pull if off from the pump and inspect for traces of oil. If the pulse line is getting full of oil and pushing it to the pump, it could be fouling the pump.

Torka 04-24-2019 05:21 PM

Check the fuel pick up tube in the tank. When I see dry fuel filters that’s the first thing to check. Depends on what year you have but the fitting in top of the tank either unscrews or just pulls out if it has a rubber grommet. The pick up tube sometimes just falls out. I usually clean it up and super glue it back in.

mrlmd 04-24-2019 05:50 PM

FYI- Premium fuel for all your small engines does nothing to prevent clogged carb jets and other starting problems, and is a waste of money for a low compression engine. If you store fuel for an extended period of time, use Stabil or some other preservative added to the fuel, or put 1 oz/gal of Berrymanh's B12 Chemtool into the gas tank, run it through, and it will prevent clogged up jets. Even better, do this every 3 tankfuls.
Premium fuel is meant for high compression engines and has additives to prevent pre-detonation (pre-ignition), and has absolutely no beneficial effect for an engine designed to use regular 87 octane fuel. You may think you are accomplishing something but all you are doing is wasting your money. "Premium" is not "better".

Also. if you are storing fuel for the winter, fill up the tank to eliminate as much air space in the tank as possible, to prevent condensation of water vapor inside the tank and getting water into your fuel.