Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Reverse...runs awesome Forward..runs bad (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=23756)

topdrive 09-27-2009 07:32 AM

Reverse...runs awesome Forward..runs bad

Excellent site people...best I have been to regarding carts. Well I have a dilema that started yesterday, cart is an Ezgo TXT 1986 with a EC25 2PG (complete rebuild this spring) had oil injection but removed it and started mixing my fuel(50:1) (that was the reason for the COMPLETE rebuild,oil pump quit) It ran good all year but yesterday in the middle of a game it just started to spit and spudder so I stopped it for a second and now it is very slow to start moving (no low end power)smokes alot and sounds like it is not firing properly. In reverse it takes off and runs awesome with LOTS of low and high end power. Talked with my mechanic and he laughed and told me definetly when I asked if he installed the piston in correctly. I know nothing about the timing or points on this engine....are there 2 sets of points? Where do I start to diagnose this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

scottyb 09-27-2009 08:43 AM

Re: Reverse...runs awesome Forward..runs bad

I think if it runs fine in reverse, we can eliminate any compression issues? But it would be nice to have a reading .... someone with more 2 stoke knowledge will be along soon....

topdrive 09-27-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 289041)
I think if it runs fine in reverse, we can eliminate any compression issues? But it would be nice to have a reading .... someone with more 2 stoke knowledge will be along soon....

I will take a comp this morning.......Thank you for your comment Scotty.

mikesmotortoys 09-27-2009 08:59 AM

More info would be nice.

Question - What did your laughing mechanic say about the issue?

topdrive 09-27-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys (Post 289050)
More info would be nice.

Question - What did your laughing mechanic say about the issue?

I guess I should have said " My Ex mechanic" we had a little (heated)disccusion after it took him almost 3 months + 2x the $$$$ he quoted me to rebuild the engine so the laughing mechanic just laughed.

As for the more info.....what info should I include? Thanks for your input......I need all I can get.

tonyton 09-27-2009 10:12 AM

These motors retard the timing to spin the motor backwards for reverse. They advance to spin the motor forward. It soumds like it's retarding the timing past TDC to get the high speed reverse and in turn won't advance BTDC to get your forward speed.
I know how they work but have never owned one. I'll reveiw the ignition wiring diagram and see what it could be. I think these are CDI ignition systems (no points).
If the piston was backwards it wouldn't start.

tonyton 09-27-2009 10:45 AM

This what I'm looking athttp://www.bennettgolfcars.ca/parts.php"

Your '86 should have one set of points and a condensor. The F and R switch electrically changes the direction of the starter. If your starter/generator are turning the appropriate direction in conjunction with the FR switch it would probably be the points. There's not a lot else there it could be. The manual is only parts, you need to find where and what to set new points at. You may need to call a dealer that has this info. We don't have a tech manual for that model...
This is an educated guess. It's the best I could do with what we have.
Hopefully someone that owns one can shed some light on this and verify that as the problem...
Wish I could be of more help....tony

topdrive 09-27-2009 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info Tony, much appreciated. I may just spend the $70.00 and buy a service manual. Do I need to pull the engine to change points or can I do it without? Thanks again.

tonyton 09-27-2009 11:05 PM

If nobody else can shed some light on this, you may need the manual. I hate to say that but I can't find what I need to see. After reveiwing the diagrams, I can't honestly say that it has points or not. There are parts till '86 but our schematics have a lapse of several years, and I noticed that was one of them.
If you get a manual and feel like sharing any info it would be appreciated. It would help us help others in the future. Again, I apologize that I couldn't get all the proper info for you.
One thing that you could test is the microswitch. Take the forward wires and place them on the reverse microswitch. Put the cart in reverse (it should go forward) and see if it runs. If it runs better the forward microswitch is faulty. Good Luck. tony

roxyrose08 09-27-2009 11:31 PM

i have this exact cart! i just got it last week and i notice that it runs much better in reverse. i was under the impression that it was because it did not charge in reverse and therefore no load was hindering it in reverse but now i am rethinking this whole problem. i hope someone has the answer to our problem.