Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=15466)

IMNFL 04-22-2009 06:54 PM

Re: Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

Extractor
I like your signiture! That is kool!
OBill

Extractor 04-22-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubabud (Post 185177)
Radical Golf Carts has a Manual wiper arm for $58, http://www.radicalgolfcarts.com/Item...iper__&ID=1278

and Palm Beach Golf carts has an AS5 Street Legal Full Windshield for $162. I stopped there today and spoke to Josue who is also working out some prices on other items I'll need. Hopefully I'll be getting my cart Street Legal Ready very soon!

How is anyone else doing a street legal... doing so far? :mrgreen:

Ordered the windshield earlier in the week and the orange triangle for slow moving vehicles. Ordered a seatbelt bar from a sponsor. The Beast motor is coming soon since min speed is 20mph for street legal (got 16mph stock)... I think you'll be at the office on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd before me!

Extractor 04-22-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 185193)
Extractor
I like your signiture! That is kool!
OBill

Thanks, OB... I thought it is quite appropriate!

I still love watching it! :thumbup:

mountainman007 04-22-2009 10:46 PM

:|:lol: IM SURE GLAD I LIVE IN TEXAS WE DONT HAVE ALL THAT TO MAKE CART LEGAL YOU NEED TO REGISTAR IT GET INSURANCE SLOW MOVING SIGN ON BACK IF YOUR CART GOES UNDER 25 MPH YOU DONT NEED INSPECTION STICKER IF IT COMES WITH LIGHTS THATS A PLUS BUT NOT NEEDED INSURANCE COAST $ 60.00 DOLLARS A YEAR LICENSE IS AROUND & 51.OO DOLLARS A YEAR:thumbup:

IMNFL 04-22-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman007 (Post 185334)
:|:lol: IM SURE GLAD I LIVE IN TEXAS WE DONT HAVE ALL THAT TO MAKE CART LEGAL YOU NEED TO REGISTAR IT GET INSURANCE SLOW MOVING SIGN ON BACK IF YOUR CART GOES UNDER 25 MPH YOU DONT NEED INSPECTION STICKER IF IT COMES WITH LIGHTS THATS A PLUS BUT NOT NEEDED INSURANCE COAST $ 60.00 DOLLARS A YEAR LICENSE IS AROUND & 51.OO DOLLARS A YEAR:thumbup:

I seen a bumper sticker down here that said...
:lhmo::lhmo:"We Don't Care How You Done It In Texas!" :lhmo::lhmo:

But, I wish we had it that easy! If I sent you all the info could you get me a Texas title? Then it would be easy to get a FL title and Tag.
OBill

scubabud 04-23-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubabud (Post 185177)
Radical Golf Carts has a Manual wiper arm for $58, http://www.radicalgolfcarts.com/Item...iper__&ID=1278

and Palm Beach Golf carts has an AS5 Street Legal Full Windshield for $162. I stopped there today and spoke to Josue who is also working out some prices on other items I'll need. Hopefully I'll be getting my cart Street Legal Ready very soon!

fyi...

I'm sorry to say that the prices from Palm Beach Golf Carts was alot more then our sponsors for the seat belts and brackets as well as the windshield that was noted from IMNFL from CPP. So I'll be doing my ordering from them for the other items I need.:mrgreen:

Extractor 04-23-2009 10:45 AM

Yeah, I ordered from CPP but saw your post after you said you ordered your stuff so I didn't think it was appropriate to rub salt in the wound. Windshield was about $115 (CPP) and seat belt bracket with seatbelts about $94 from EC (5% disc with promo code) :thumbup:

IMNFL 04-23-2009 02:21 PM

Scubabud and Extractor

:thumbup::thumbup: Your gettin' closer! :thumbup::thumbup:

5 thumbsup to you Extractor for buying from a sponsor(s) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:lhmo: If that don't work maybe you'll get some atta boys from the other members! :lhmo:

dirtysouth 04-23-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 185655)
Scubabud and Extractor

:thumbup::thumbup: Your gettin' closer! :thumbup::thumbup:

5 thumbsup to you Extractor for buying from a sponsor(s) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:lhmo: If that don't work maybe you'll get some atta boys from the other members! :lhmo:

:iagree::thumbup::wav:8)

Extractor 04-23-2009 03:10 PM

My stimulus package has to go somewhere, might as well go to the sponsors, right! I better spend it befrore the wife does!!:lhmo:

Dirtysouth-
Can't wait to see that front disc brake kit for your long travel AllSports suspension. Once I'm on the road I gotta stop somehow. Tossing out the anchor is getting old! :mrgreen:

scubabud 04-23-2009 03:16 PM

Oxfordlawn posted a source for the AS5 certified DOT windshield from Stenten who sells wholesale to golf cart vendors we have here on BGW. Any vendor here could purchase one of these windshields and offer them for retail sale. The true AS5 will have it stamped in the windshield and have a special coating on the Lexan to prevent scratching from the wiper blade. It includes a manual wiper arm, LSV orange triangle, support bar, drilled hole and stickers along with the LSV sticker that goes on the dash as a warning. Also at this time East Coast Custom Carts has the best price on retractable seat belts, $30 each. If you want them attached to a bar then Everything Carts has the best price. Unfortunately their assembly will not work with my cart since the middle female buckles attached to the bar are 12" long which would mean that I'd have to mount it on the rear seat bracket so as not to interfere with opening my front seat.

Bottom line is I'm trying to stay will ALL vendors here if possible. Is it allowed for a vendor to post a response about if they carry acceptable parts for LSV's? If not then how about a PM? Just a thought... 8)

dirtysouth 04-23-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extractor (Post 185728)
My stimulus package has to go somewhere, might as well go to the sponsors, right! I better spend it befrore the wife does!!:lhmo:

Dirtysouth-
Can't wait to see that front disc brake kit for your long travel AllSports suspension. Once I'm on the road I gotta stop somehow. Tossing out the anchor is getting old! :mrgreen:

It might be gettin' old, but I bet the neighbors get a kick out of it...:mrgreen:
Almost there on the brake set up...:thumbup:

scubabud 04-23-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 182879)
Cart Parts Plus will sell you the windshield. Make sure they put a NOTATION on the invoice that it is a DOT AS5 rating. Bought mine last year from CPP for $109.95 plus S&H.
Price and Shipping could have went up a little.

Tell'em you want the unbreakable Lexan one like OBill and Jill got on their carts.

OB, does your windshield say Lexan on it as well? That would be proof right there even if it didn't say AS5 on it, just incase I get a tough DMV inspector!:mrgreen:

dirtysouth 04-23-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubabud (Post 185740)
Oxfordlawn posted a source for the AS5 certified DOT windshield from Stenten who sells wholesale to golf cart vendors we have here on BGW. Any vendor here could purchase one of these windshields and offer them for retail sale. The true AS5 will have it stamped in the windshield and have a special coating on the Lexan to prevent scratching from the wiper blade. It includes a manual wiper arm, LSV orange triangle, support bar, drilled hole and stickers along with the LSV sticker that goes on the dash as a warning. Also at this time East Coast Custom Carts has the best price on retractable seat belts, $30 each. If you want them attached to a bar then Everything Carts has the best price. Unfortunately their assembly will not work with my cart since the middle female buckles attached to the bar are 12" long which would mean that I'd have to mount it on the rear seat bracket so as not to interfere with opening my front seat.

Bottom line is I'm trying to stay will ALL vendors here if possible. Is it allowed for a vendor to post a response about if they carry acceptable parts for LSV's? If not then how about a PM? Just a thought... 8)

:thumbup: I believe the sponsors can reply or post about their products. Heck, look at wicked...:mrgreen: I think the forum Gods get angry when they see spammers or sponsors badgering the fine folks here at BGW... Then again, I could be completely wrong...:shock::lol:

Thanks for supporting the site sponsors...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

scubabud 04-23-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtysouth (Post 185784)
:thumbup: I believe the sponsors can reply or post about their products. Heck, look at wicked...:mrgreen: I think the forum Gods get angry when they see spammers or sponsors badgering the fine folks here at BGW... Then again, I could be completely wrong...:shock::lol:

Thanks for supporting the site sponsors...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey, I would love it if the sponsors chimed in on this thread. I just got off the phone with Dixie/CartpartsPlus and waiting for a call back on some prices and specs on their windshield and seat belts. I'm waiting for a call back from East Coast Custom as well. I've also spoken to 2 other sponsors here. The good news is that at least three of us on this thread are spending some bucks with BGW sponsors and I'm sure that Google searches for LSV's will also help BGW sponsors in the future! That helps the forum which helps us! It's a Great Win Win!:mrgreen:

IMNFL 04-23-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNFL
Cart Parts Plus will sell you the windshield. Make sure they put a NOTATION on the invoice that it is a DOT AS5 rating. Bought mine last year from CPP for $109.95 plus S&H.
Price and Shipping could have went up a little.

Tell'em you want the unbreakable Lexan one like OBill and Jill got on their carts.

Scubabud,
I wasn't meaning you were any less of a BGW member or anything like that. I gave you a couple of thumbsup for getting closer to having it on the road.:thumbright:
I do understand where you are at. (It is not the lack of information out there. It's all the misinformation. And you have to decide between the two. :banghead:) If the windshield don't have AS5 branded or engraved on it, and you want the windshield to say AS5 or Lexan. Take your Dremel and engrave it on there! All I can tell you is what I experenced. And my windshield is Lexan and it don't say a thing! And it is scratch resistant. The Inspecter did not look at the windshield or the cart. She wanted to see the NOTATION on the invoice that it is a DOT AS5 rating. !
It comes down to the person that inspects your cart. Call them and ask them what they expect. Don't go telling how much you know and how smart you are about getting it legal, or give them any ideas. Just listen to what they want. Helped me a lot, because I was told I had to have 4 wheel hydraulic brakes and a whole lot of other BS.
And if you haven't got insurance yet. LOL!:lol: Good luck there. I got all this stuff about, "it don't have doors etc." Not saying that "I'm so smart, it scares people!" :dontknow: But, you have to educate everybody and every department as you go. I explained that Jeeps don't have doors either! So, she says, "I'll have to call you back." :banghead:

scubabud 04-23-2009 05:54 PM

IMNFL 8)

I never took what you said as a negative nor did I mean anything negative towards you. I just reread your post from a while back and JUST noticed the Lexan comment in it.:oops: As you have mentioned it's going to be up to WHO inspects the vehicle and hopefully the less objections DMV might have the better it's going to be for ME! I saw a LSV Club Car at that store I went to yesterday and it DIDN'T have an AS5 or Lexan on the windshield and also DIDN'T have DOT tires. As a matter of fact it had the EXACT wheels and tires that I have on my cart now. I called CCP about an hour ago and spoke to a gentleman that was a Tech, not a salesperson so I'm waiting for a call back on the windshield pricing as well as seat belts, (mentioned your name as well.) I'm also waiting for a call back from East Coast Custom Carts. So far Sharon at Everything Carts has given me all the information I need from her store as to what they carry and pricing. I want to get this done ASAP so I can enjoy my cart on the road! :mrgreen:

IMNFL 04-23-2009 07:13 PM

Scubabud,
Ain't Sharon nice at EC? :love4: She knows her stuff!
Tom is the main tech man at CPP. I'd say he is a nice guy. But, you know... How it is with nice guys?
He'd finish last! :lhmo:
He is in the process of moving the shop. :banghead:
So not only does he have alot going on in his head.:banghead: His hands are full too. :hello1:
Don't this just drive ya crazy? Waiting on people to call back and all that.:banghead:
OBill
PS: I've never had the pleasure of meeting East Coast. Maybe some day they'll show up at a Race?

BRS 04-23-2009 07:59 PM

Great info. everyone. :thumbup: I have found this thread very informative on how to make my cart street legal in FL. I think everyone is on the same page, it's all good! I have supported local and internet cart shops, etc. dealers/suppliers. My experience, if you need it yesterday....go and buy today and local. You will pay more but maybe it's worth it!...most of these nice site sponsors on this forum are operating on miminum margins....it's not too hard to figure out. Patience does work from time to time...I'm still learning! Just saying my nonsense as usual....:roll:

dirtysouth 04-23-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 185836)
Scubabud,
Tom is the main tech man at CPP. I'd say he is a nice guy. But, you know... How it is with nice guys?
So not only does he have alot going on in his head.:banghead: His hands are full too. :hello1:
Don't this just drive ya crazy? Waiting on people to call back and all that.:banghead:
OBill
PS: I've never had the pleasure of meeting East Coast. Maybe some day they'll show up at a Race?

Toms got allot going on in his head???:mrgreen: C'MON... We talkin' the same Tom aka BBM???:help::lhmo:

scubabud 04-23-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 185836)
Scubabud,
OBill

IMNFL,

Yes Sharon was very nice, very professional and the ONLY one to actually call back with complete information and prices. Tom from CCP was very nice as well but couldn't get the complete information so I'll wait for that call back from Sales. I spoke to Ron at East Coast Custom Carts and he also very nice hopefully will get back to me soon. My hope would also be to get as much information about who carries what listed on this thread, making it simple for the next guy that wants to do a LSV. :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRS (Post 185881)
Great info. everyone. :thumbup: I have found this thread very informative on how to make my cart street legal in FL. I think everyone is on the same page, it's all good! I have supported local and internet cart shops, etc. dealers/suppliers. My experience, if you need it yesterday....go and buy today and local. You will pay more but maybe it's worth it!...most of these nice site sponsors on this forum are operating on minimum margins....it's not too hard to figure out. Patience does work from time to time...I'm still learning! Just saying my nonsense as usual....:roll:

BRS,

So true! My thing is that I want it; not now…but RIGHT NOW! But the keyword for me is RIGHT… the first time hence all the checking around. As I mentioned in another thread I’ve always believed in getting at least three bids for any important purchase, looking at the product, service offered and company reputation then making the final decision once that is accomplished. And I feel I’m only a couple of phone calls away from that final RIGHT decision. :mrgreen: (I hope...8))

IMNFL 04-24-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRS (Post 185881)
Great info. everyone. :thumbup: I have found this thread very informative on how to make my cart street legal in FL. I think everyone is on the same page, it's all good! I have supported local and internet cart shops, etc. dealers/suppliers. My experience, if you need it yesterday....go and buy today and local. You will pay more but maybe it's worth it!...most of these nice site sponsors on this forum are operating on miminum margins....it's not too hard to figure out. Patience does work from time to time...I'm still learning! Just saying my nonsense as usual....:roll:

:thumbup:

30-A rider 04-24-2009 11:11 AM

I just finshed getting my cart registered street legal as an LSV. ANy questions feel free to email me. All I did was contact office of compliance for the list of items, modified my cart and the inspection registration process was a breeze for me. I did mine in Panama City at a State police Headquarters. Didnt even make me take the cart off the trailer. The guy did a quick glance at the cart, lifted up the seat to make sure it was electric and not gas and went inside...typed away at his computer for 15 minutes. Came out of office I wrote a check. We walked outside and he handed me a plate and put a VIN # sticker inside the Dash/glove box and that was it. I had a generic club car windshield that didnt meet requirements and he didnt look. Didnt want to see the lgihts, horn or anything worked. My cart exceeds 25mph and again he didnt even require me to get it off the trailer.

IMNFL 04-24-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-A rider (Post 186213)
I just finshed getting my cart registered street legal as an LSV. ANy questions feel free to email me. All I did was contact office of compliance for the list of items, modified my cart and the inspection registration process was a breeze for me. I did mine in Panama City at a State police Headquarters. Didnt even make me take the cart off the trailer. The guy did a quick glance at the cart, lifted up the seat to make sure it was electric and not gas and went inside...typed away at his computer for 15 minutes. Came out of office I wrote a check. We walked outside and he handed me a plate and put a VIN # sticker inside the Dash/glove box and that was it. I had a generic club car windshield that didnt meet requirements and he didnt look. Didnt want to see the lgihts, horn or anything worked. My cart exceeds 25mph and again he didnt even require me to get it off the trailer.

:lhmo: There you go! He done ya a favor andya gotta tell every body! :lhmo:

BRS 04-24-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 186258)
:lhmo: There you go! He done ya a favor andya gotta tell every body! :lhmo:

Sounds easier to drive to Panama City,...on my way!!!!

scubabud 04-24-2009 02:20 PM

BRS,

Did you order any parts yet or are you already done and just waiting for DMV inspection?8)

IMNFL 04-24-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubabud (Post 186307)
BRS,

Did you order any parts yet or are you already done and just waiting for DMV inspection?8)

Hey Scubabud,
I just saw the link in your signature. I think you are worring too much about getting that cart to pass. (Sharp cart)
Did you read 30A rider's post?
He said he took it to the Highway Patrol Station and they passed it! Wouldn't work here! Because 1. They won't talk to ya here. (Stoped there one time with question. They gave me DOT phone # in Jax. FLDOT wanted to know why I called them. Said to call FLDOT in Alachua County! 2. They are across the street from the DMV.
But you might try it. Only thing they can do is turn you down. And you will still be where you are at.

scubabud 04-24-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 186319)
Hey Scubabud,
I just saw the link in your signature. I think you are worring too much about getting that cart to pass. (Sharp cart)
Did you read 30A rider's post?
He said he took it to the Highway Patrol Station and they passed it! Wouldn't work here! Because 1. They won't talk to ya here. 2. They are across the street from the DMV.
But you might try it. Only thing they can do is turn you down. And you will still be where you are at.

Hey IMNFL, 8)

I'm going with CCP on the AS5 windshield at around $120 along with 4 seat belts for around $120. I got the slow moving vehicle sign online for $20 and I'm getting more information on the wiper arm, around $55. An exterior mirror and a couple of reflectors also for an around $15. So for about $330, (not including the State Sales Tax & Tag to register the LSV,) I'll have a legitimate Street Legal Cart!

So hey... what's to worry about... It's ALL GOOD! :mrgreen:

cuzky 04-24-2009 07:24 PM

I'm waiting for the city to give the " OK " on carts be for doing all the things that have been discussed 8)

cat boat racer 04-25-2009 07:51 PM

Cuzky, I believe the Florida State statute superceeds the citys ability to govern LSV use. As long as your speed limit is 35 or under and your legal its all good. (I think, been wrong before) They arent "golf carts" at that point. mike

IMNFL 04-25-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat boat racer (Post 186839)
Cuzky, I believe the Florida State statute superceeds the citys ability to govern LSV use. As long as your speed limit is 35 or under and your legal its all good. (I think, been wrong before) They arent "golf carts" at that point. mike

:lhmo: I like them DOT tires. :thumbup:

I know you switched them arter it was inspected. Right! :roll:

scubabud 04-25-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat boat racer (Post 186839)

Mike,

(With my handy packet from DMV by my side :mrgreen:,)
The Florida Statutes, Section 316.2122 does say that, (e) "A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles on any road under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety."

(f) The Department of Transportation may do the same if they determine that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety. :|

Jim C 04-26-2009 08:34 AM

I think what Cuzky is reffering to is some cities are "golf cart friendly" and don't require registration. He's probably wait'n on that so he don't have to spend the dough.

cuzky 04-26-2009 08:46 AM

What I ment some cities ARE NOT cart frendly.A bunch of die hard and set in there ways

BRS 04-26-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubabud (Post 186307)
BRS,

I have not done anything yet...waiting for you guys to work all the bugs out...lol..:thumbup:

scubabud 04-26-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRS (Post 187040)
I have not done anything yet...waiting for you guys to work all the bugs out...lol..:thumbup:

Ah Ha...

So what happened to, "Nuff said, I'm going to start the process."? :scratch:

I was kinda hopeing the same thing... :mrgreen:

scubabud 04-26-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMNFL (Post 186873)
:lhmo: I like them DOT tires. :thumbup:

I know you switched them arter it was inspected. Right! :roll:

IMNFL,

LOL, nothing gets by you does it! :mrgreen:

Non-DOT Tires... :evil3: For me that should be the only grey area!

cat boat racer 04-26-2009 12:08 PM

As for my tires, it was inspected off of palm beach lakes blvd as it sits. The inspector either didnt look or didnt care, that being said I think it says you have to have DOT tires... mike
PS im starting this week to build an lsv for a local city cop. :mrgreen:

IMNFL 04-26-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat boat racer (Post 187110)

What you saying Mike? That one, will be strickly by the book? :thumbup:

scubabud 04-26-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat boat racer (Post 187110)
As for my tires, it was inspected off of palm beach lakes blvd as it sits. The inspector either didnt look or didnt care, that being said I think it says you have to have DOT tires... mike

Mike :mrgreen:

That's probably the one that I'll be using as well. As you've stated before and as others here have also stated, it's strictly a matter of what the inspector inspects or doesn't inspect. This is still a pretty new process for them as well as most of us. For example I didn't see reflectors on the side nor the rear of your cart besides the lack of DOT markings on tires and yet they too are also a requirement. It's gonna be pot luck I'm sure! :mrgreen: