Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Replacing Brake drums, springs, and brake shoes (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160878)

LEMANSZ20 02-14-2020 04:42 PM

Replacing Brake drums, springs, and brake shoes

Its rusted like crazy so im just gonna swap them out while I have the cart on jacks. Anything else I should look to change while im there, its a 1987 club car DS. I hooked up batteries and shes def moving, but the brakes sounded like metal on metal so gonna replace them.

LEMANSZ20 02-14-2020 04:51 PM

Re: Replacing Brake drums, springs, and brake shoes

also any recommendations on if I should buy some type of lube or something would be great too, first time doing drums.

fsu1tm 02-14-2020 05:04 PM

There is a front shoe and a rear shoe. Make sure you have one of each for each side. The front is marked with an L for Leading and the rear is marked with a T for Trailing.

LEMANSZ20 02-14-2020 05:14 PM

I assume you mean the shoes, but just all for the rear of the cart right? I dont think this cart has front brakes or anything.

I am gonna do some research on youtube on how to install, but any liquids or lube or grease for these things?

fsu1tm 02-14-2020 05:24 PM

Yes. Shoes. All for rear of cart. You'll buy a set of shoes (4 in total). Two will have an L and two will have a T. Grab an L and a T for each side. The L goes towards the front of the cart and the T goes towards the rear. Repeat for the other side. :thumbup: You'll be able to tell the top and bottom of the shoe. The L and T is what trips people up. Ask me how I know. :lol:

TahoeDawgZ71 02-14-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsu1tm (Post 1690382)
There is a front shoe and a rear shoe. Make sure you have one of each for each side. The front is marked with an L for Leading and the rear is marked with a T for Trailing.

Not on his car. It's a dinosaur. Self-Adjusting brakes didn't come out until 1995.

All four shoes on this cart will be the same. They'll say J10 on all 4 shoes. The markings go up towards the top on all of them.

fsu1tm 02-15-2020 08:30 AM

Oops. Sorry Lemans. In the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, Nevermind. :lhmo: Honestly, I read 1997 instead of 1987. Sorry.

LEMANSZ20 02-15-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 1690392)
Not on his car. It's a dinosaur. Self-Adjusting brakes didn't come out until 1995.

All four shoes on this cart will be the same. They'll say J10 on all 4 shoes. The markings go up towards the top on all of them.

Got ya, yeah shes an oldie but seems to be a goodie. Once the parts come in im sure Ill bother all of you with questions again.

You guys think I should look to change anything in the axle while im there, or dont worry about it?

BBBHC 02-16-2020 09:36 AM

Might as well check/change your fluid while your there. Drain it and see if there are any metal filings in it.

Golf cart guy 02-16-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsu1tm (Post 1690382)

not on a 1987 cart. those have manual adjusted brakes