Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Oil pump cover and o ring..... (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160422)

Blind Old Coot 01-25-2020 09:46 AM

Oil pump cover and o ring.....

Good morning,
Fresh rebuild on a 2007 Ezgo 350 because it was smoking a little bit and wanted to learn how to rebuild one.

Got in back in the cart last night and ran it with no plugs to prime pump. Dash Light went out fairly quickly and this was a good sign. Spun nicely.

Thought I would put plugs in it and give it a whirl ...started right up. Light on dash went out as it should....

Wake up this morning to find a small puddle of oil underneath...okay...

Traced it the oil pump cover. Thankfully the cooling fan came back off with out an impact .

Tried a new o ring, no leak but won't prime...
Flipped the cover around...no prime...
A different o ring... no prime...
Checked pressure switch , open when off and goes to about 500 ohms when spinning.
Added another ground...
Put original o ring in....no prime...

Not seeing oil in head squirting out with cover off...

But it's not leaking...

Cover does have some scratches from oil pump gears that's why I flipped it around..

Might try a gasket between o ring and cover..?

Bigger o ring.?

CP241 01-25-2020 09:56 AM

Re: Oil pump cover and o ring.....

This is one reason I dislike the MCI motors. Terrible design of the oil system IMO

Did you remove the oil pump before you reinstalled the engine side cover? Did you replace the o ring at the top between the side cover and case? How thick of an o ring did you use on the oil pump cover?

Aftermarket o rings fit like dookie on these motors in both locations... even new OEM ones dont fit right... I've had best luck reusing the old ones in both spots

Blind Old Coot 01-25-2020 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, took it apart before reinstalling engine.

The o ring between the cases was smashed so off to the store for a replacement. After awhile, they all look the same so I picked a couple that I could dry fit. The kit didn't have one.....Always wondering if the fit would be tight enough to get oil to the head...

So, in the mean time.... I cut a paper gasket using the cover for a template ( .012 thick )
And put it behind the cover......and WALLA....oil pressure light goes out and shot oil all over the place from the head...I didn't have the cover on....

So....is if safe to say the o ring between the cases are a good fit ...?

Here's a pic of the cover.
Do I need to make a new cover .?

CP241 01-25-2020 12:49 PM

I'd watch the oil pressure if you have a gauge. I had one of these I rebuilt I had a hell of a time fighting the lubrication system... losing pressure, losing prime, the works. I had that motor in and out of the cart more times than I could count. I eventually swapped and moved enough parts that I'm not sure if it was coincidence or something just seated right finally but it was finally good.

But watch the oil pressure, especially after driving it a few miles and getting the engine good and hot. I have yet to find a definitive spec as to what oil pressure *should* be, but the one I recently rebuilt behaved itself mostly lol. I had around 60psi on a cold start. As I drove it and it got good and hot ir seemed to settle in around 25ish psi.

I'd definitely recommend a mechanical gauge. The pressure kigjt it just a dummy light. It shuts off around 3psi so you've got no way of knowing if its 3psi or 30. You can pick.up a cheapie at harbor freight, just remove the sending unit sensor and screw the adapter for the gauge in its place.

My biggest issue with these motors is the camshaft is the first thing to go when its starved of oil. And the side of the camshaft by the timing belt I just cannot understand how it gets oil other than splashing in the little notch in the top. The pre-MCI motors had a feed through the valve cover to supply.oil to that side.

CP241 01-25-2020 12:50 PM

And I have a spare oil pump and cover if you need one from a pre-MCI 295 but I think they're the same. Just pm me. Seal of thsr cover is critical and I dont know I'd trust making one

Timberwolflt 01-25-2020 01:13 PM

I don’t believe the cover is your issue but the new o-ring might be a bit thick creating space that ought not be there... The way these pumps are designed, they shouldn’t pump oil anyway... oil pumps aren’t great at creating vacuum enough to lift oil from the sump but these do for some reason

You didn’t by chance flip one of the rotors around, did you? It could be that over time they’ve worn themselves to the point that they only work when mating the way they’ve always been run

Blind Old Coot 01-25-2020 02:04 PM

A mechanical gauge would work better than guessing at a light.... Would the gauge work with a hose to the kick plate next to the choke lever or all the way to the dash because of the distance? Very doable... Maybe a zero to 100 psi gauge...I'll look for one.

Looking at the motor, I can install it right by the motor without a hose....with a piece of brass pipe extension...

The gears were installed as they came out because I labeled and taped everything as it came out. (Picture wife wondering where all her zip lock bags went....).

The oil pump cover is $14 at EZGO. I'll get some o rings too. Thank you for your offer.

This is so cool that it runs, just a couple of farts but I heard it run....the little ugly duckling made it.

1/8 NPT on the threads for the pressure gauge?

CP241 01-25-2020 02:11 PM

Good deal. Not sure of the threads, my oil pressure gauge has about 30 different sized adapters to make it fit anyrhjng. It also has about 6' of hose and reaches thr cup holders fine to hold in one hand and watch it as I drive with the other.

Trig says I over think these and itll be fine :lhmo: but after the nightmare experience I had with the one, and all I learned about this engine during that circus, I'd rather be over cautious and do my due diligence triple checking everything than drive it, rely on the light, and have the cam seize in the head.

Once I drive around with it for a week or so with the gauge and confirm all is well, I'll put the light back in. But I like to make 1000% sure it's well.

Timberwolflt 01-25-2020 02:37 PM

That’s funny... My wife gave up and bought me ziplock baggies.. 2 boxes... both sizes

I use them a lot in my ultrasonic cleaner rather than filling the whole thing with the various solvents I use

Blind Old Coot 01-25-2020 05:18 PM

1/8 inch Npt is it. Searched around and found an electronic oil pressure gauge that goes 0 to 100 psi so I can just run a wire to the dash for long term solution and feed it from the solenoid for power so it's only on when running.

Got through a box of zip lock bags, all the paper napkins and half a roll of masking tape , all from the kitchen...oohh, and the sticky paper note pads from the office to put inside the bags. Now all " stock " supplies in shop...

Didn't know about oil pressure issues with the heads on MCI engines. Granted, never want to run it out of oil on anything....... just figured the exhaust manifold changed to save a few pennies since everything in the motor is the same. Even the oil pump cover is the same per part numbers.

I'll order the cover and o rings Monday, they show in stock.
Oil pressure gauge is ordered.

Note - the picture of the cover is what it looked like when I took it off. I've only run this motor a couple of minutes.