Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2017 Recoil IS and LED light install.. HELP! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=138953)

sawtooth 02-09-2018 07:38 PM

2017 Recoil IS and LED light install.. HELP!

So my dealer tried to install some Rigid LED high / low lights that draw 2.5 max amps on high setting. He tried to install these to what I believe is the bus module and told me it supplies a clean 12volt for auxiliaries. Problem is that after 15 minutes the lights will no longer go to the low position. We tried a second set then the same issue. Finally a third set was hooked directly to a separate 12volt supply and then we never had a issue. So my question is does anyone know if there is a way to hook these lights to a 2017 Textron Recoil IS (old bad boy buggie recoil IS) safely without causing issues? Thank you

sho305 02-18-2018 04:15 PM

Re: 2017 Recoil IS and LED light install.. HELP!

I don't know, but most 12v things will work from 10v to 14v. They are made to work best at 12-13.8v a running or not running 12v vehicle would have. They get angry if you get down to 10 and shut off sometimes, same thing at 14v that is too high. The yamaha can charge 14v and causes problems with electronics it can shut down car stereo equipment for example. I would check the voltage you are getting there. Another issue and I don't know, but some power supply or voltage transformers are solid state and work on PWM, means they are turning on/off very fast at some high frequency to keep a certain voltage, and sometimes electronic things you hook to it may not like it. If in fact your module does this, I don't know I'm just guessing you have 48v or something and it is dropping it to ~13v. Putting a capacitor on it may help if that was the issue, a car stereo cap would work or a cap with higher voltage rating like 16 to 20v and enough mf to get rid of the voltage frequency change which is noise to some electronics. Another way is to put a 12v battery on that source it will smooth out the power also. Just make sure it is not over 13.5 or it will overcharge the battery.

ProjectClubCar 02-25-2018 09:11 AM

I think I would pick up a Marine fuse block, and mounted where it is easily accessed. From here you can start wiring all of your accessories independently. LED lights is just the first accessory, I'm sure there are more to come, such as maybe a radio. Where I am going with this is, is it leaves the ignition system alone and does not intrude on draw.
This is a gas powered cart yess?
(Misses my disco lights under the cart, but the disco ball kept falling off !!
hangs head in shame, okay I'm going back to my corner now)

sawtooth 02-25-2018 09:14 AM

It’s actually a 72v cart with 9 8v batteries. I assume they have a on board inverter to convert back to 12v to run vehicle lights etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ProjectClubCar 02-25-2018 09:23 AM

Sorry about that sawtooth,
I don't know how I got that in my head that it was gas powered, I should have paid more attention to the reading.
But there are a bunch of Sparky guys on this forum with the wealth of information, hopefully one of them will chime in.....

sawtooth 02-25-2018 09:27 AM

I worries. These Recoil buggies are not very popular which has made it a challenge to find info. Rigid industries is testing the retuned lights next week trying to determine if they defective or it’s a issue with how they were wired in. I later hooked them directly to a 12v battery and they still would not work correctly so not sure what happened. Should know more next week though. Thanks

sho305 02-25-2018 03:31 PM

They should work fine off a charged 12v battery.

sawtooth 02-26-2018 06:18 AM

2017 Recoil IS and LED light install.. HELP!

Agreed. Funny part is the guy at Rigid has been very good to work with but said he tested 20 lights from inventory and all worked great. So I either got the only two bad ones or the guy installing my lights on the Recoil itself is somehow damaging them. But the dealer told me the second set was never hooked to buggy but just a 12v to test. So if he’s telling me correctly then should be a light issue.

sawtooth 03-02-2018 07:40 PM

Update. Got a call back today and they discovered the problem is indeed with their lights. They were testing lights with steady 12v current vs alternating current provided by batteries etc. Apparently the alternating current is over heating the lights. now they are trying to resolve the issue so waiting for their response.

sho305 03-03-2018 02:34 PM

DC is direct current, AC is alternating current. All battery are DC but some electronic power supplies do have AC in them. You may have to find out if your module is clean enough, it may be PWM and causing an issue. Or it may be the lights. If your module is made to run 12v things it should be in spec to do it if you are not exceeding its ratings etc.