Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Battery depletion issue with 05? Full charge doesnt go far (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=62175)

hwalker67 04-01-2012 07:58 PM

Battery depletion issue with 05? Full charge doesnt go far

I think I have an 05 TXT. Forward and reverse is a rocker switch on dash. Last summer batteries seemed to do pretty well. Been running it about a month this year and the batteries with a full charge will hardly get me around the neighborhood. I keep it on the charger when not in use. I have a multimeter that I dont know how to use and few other mechanical skills. Budget requires that I look for a fix insead of going to the shop. Any thoughts would be very much apreciated. Dad says I killed batteries not using distilled water.

bigstik40 04-01-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Battery depletion issue with 05? Full charge doesnt go far

It's not a good idea to use anything other than distilled water for watering batteries. You will need to fully charge your batteries, then wait 12 hrs. After 12 hrs measure the total terminal voltage. Also, measure and record each individual battery voltage (to two places if possible). Post that information here and you will get comments here on the condition of your batteries. 38.2 volts is 100% state of charge for a 36 volt system. If you didn't keep your batteries charged up during storage they may be sulfated and that could be the problem. Good luck - RAY

hwalker67 04-02-2012 05:47 PM

I fully charged and waited almost 12 hrs. Batteries came in at 37.5.

bigstik40 04-02-2012 09:00 PM

That's only 80% state of charge! How about the individual battery voltages?? That will indicate if you have one or more batteries worse than the rest. At this point it doesn't look too good for your battery pack. Did you store them over the winter without charging??

hwalker67 04-03-2012 07:13 AM

winter was mild in Alabama and the cart was used much of the winter and when not in use it was often receiving a charge. I check the charge again this am and the total was 36.9, individual batteries were mostly 6.2, one battery was 5.9.

bigstik40 04-03-2012 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
36.2 v is only about 50% state of charge and the battery at 5.9 v is only 30%!! You might be able to limp along (if you don't do long trips) by replacing the 5.9v battery with a used one that is similar to the other 5 but I think you are very close to needing to replace your battery pack. I have a cart similar to yours, only it's a 2008. My 4 year old batteries get to 37.9 volts (after 12 hrs rest) which is maybe 90% or so and I'm able to get by because I do a lot of short trips on flat terrain. I'm hoping to get maybe one more season out of mine if I can store them successfully. I'm posting a "state of charge" chart for your info. so you can see where you stand. Good luck.-RAY