Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G2 cranks but won't turn over. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=187656)

yamaha77 11-08-2022 11:32 PM

G2 cranks but won't turn over.

Hey guys so just finished redoing my cart and I can not get it to turn over at all. It sat for 5 years. Ran fine when I put it away. Drained the gas cleaned the tank new fuel filter. New solenoid coil spark plug carb and battery. It gets fuel and compression. Also has spark. No idea why I can not get it to turn over at all. Also I had a brand new air box that is 100% sealed. Any idea what this could be?

eph78 11-11-2022 03:02 PM

Re: G2 cranks but won't turn over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamaha77 (Post 1916581)
Hey guys so just finished redoing my cart and I can not get it to turn over at all. It sat for 5 years. Ran fine when I put it away. Drained the gas cleaned the tank new fuel filter. New solenoid coil spark plug carb and battery. It gets fuel and compression. Also has spark. No idea why I can not get it to turn over at all. Also I had a brand new air box that is 100% sealed. Any idea what this could be?

Check to see if the push rods are good and in place. Will it start with starter fluid sprayed in the plug hole?

CP241 11-11-2022 03:15 PM

first take off the China carb you just bought, and give the original carb a good cleaning. China carbs suck and almost never work on these carts.

slonomo 11-12-2022 12:35 AM

What method are you using to test for spark?

Remove the spark plug and clean it really good, set it aside. With the spark plug removed, crank the engine over to clear the cylinder of extra fuel. Let it sit for a few minutes. Reinstall the spark plug.

Take a spray bottle with some fresh gasoline in it. Have someone crank the engine while you spray a little mist of gasoiline straight into the carburetor.

If the engine will start this way, you have a fuel delivery issue. Look to fuel pump, fuel lines, carburetor.

If the engine will NOT start this way, you have either an ignition issue or a mechanical issue. Further investigation is required.

sho305 11-13-2022 09:10 PM

No turn over you need to check if the white/red wire is hot while starting. It makes coil and starter hot it goes from key to pedal and back. It should be hot while pedal down and key on. It lights up ignition and start solenoid.

yamaha77 11-14-2022 11:26 AM

Ok so it appears it is the carb and I will be checking the carb and searching for a factory mikuni carb.I also got a ngk plug to test too. I am going to test as you stated below and report back. Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by slonomo (Post 1917047)
What method are you using to test for spark?

Remove the spark plug and clean it really good, set it aside. With the spark plug removed, crank the engine over to clear the cylinder of extra fuel. Let it sit for a few minutes. Reinstall the spark plug.

Take a spray bottle with some fresh gasoline in it. Have someone crank the engine while you spray a little mist of gasoiline straight into the carburetor.

If the engine will start this way, you have a fuel delivery issue. Look to fuel pump, fuel lines, carburetor.

If the engine will NOT start this way, you have either an ignition issue or a mechanical issue. Further investigation is required.

yamaha77 11-14-2022 11:28 AM

I will be checking this also this week. I did just re ziptie those lines up after did the street legal kit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sho305 (Post 1917250)
No turn over you need to check if the white/red wire is hot while starting. It makes coil and starter hot it goes from key to pedal and back. It should be hot while pedal down and key on. It lights up ignition and start solenoid.

yamaha77 11-14-2022 11:29 AM

I am hunting down a mikuni right now. I think I found a guy selling a whole motor with a rod knock. Everything and the carb included 100 bucks

CP241 11-14-2022 01:03 PM

If you’re not able to hunt down an OEM carb, you can get a jet kit on Amazon for cheap. It will take some playing around to find the right one but that’s probably the only way you’re gonna get an aftermarket carb to work.

yamaha77 11-20-2022 02:16 PM

Alright quick update guys. Found a entire motor with everything including Muffler and original mikuni carb for 100 bucks! Just picked it up 40 mins from the house. Going to clean the carb and put it on tonight. Motor is burning oil so might rebuild that this winter too.