Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2000 Club Car DS dragging its rear end (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=88606)

indawoods 12-10-2013 06:53 AM

2000 Club Car DS dragging its rear end

I have an early 2000 DS (split seat backs) that has begun to drag and doesn't glide like it used to. It's also difficult to push. I checked the brakes and loosened the star wheels to free up the drums but this didn't solve the problem. It seems to be a rear end problem of some sort. The wheel hubs turn by hand but with some difficulty. The cart had its original 3.75 HP motor reinstalled by a dealer recently (my bigger 5.25 HP motor burned up) and I wonder if something happened to the gears or axel then?

I'm getting 15 mph from it which is about right but maybe 2 mph slower then it should be going. I'm concerned that the dragging will put too much strain on this motor and burn it up too!

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!!:help:

RPatten 12-10-2013 08:08 AM

Re: 2000 Club Car DS dragging its rear end

Air in tires??

indawoods 12-10-2013 10:38 AM

Nope, plenty of air. Think I'll take another look at the brakes.

Thanks for the reply!

sunoco 12-10-2013 03:48 PM

Drain/replace the differential fluid and check for metal shavings/chunks in it. Could be some damage inside?

MyCousinVinnie 12-11-2013 12:08 PM

Sunoco,

I am trying to drain and replace the diff fluid on my CC DS. How do you do this? If I posted a picture of the unit could you or someone else identify where to drain and refill? Thanks.

sunoco 12-11-2013 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached pic. Hope this helps

indawoods 12-11-2013 12:49 PM

Thanks, all. I will try this also!

caokgafamily 12-11-2013 01:40 PM

INDAWOODS,

Are you sure the brakes are free? Alot of dust and debri will stay inside the brake drum unless it is removed.

Steve

indawoods 12-11-2013 03:42 PM

Steve,
To be honest, I'm not sure. I had a poor experience when trying to replace the brake shoes a couple of years ago and have not wanted to dismantle the brake assembly to really get in there to clean. The drums are clean and I readjusted the shoes for a second time and will next lube the cables and whatever else I can get to without dismantling. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sergio 12-11-2013 05:08 PM

It seems like you can narrow down the problem if you take both wheels off the ground.
When Your turn one of the wheels, the other one should turn in the opposite direction since it provides less resistance than the motor.

If the current wheel turns easier with the other one off the ground, the problem is likely the motor or motor side of the differential.

If either wheel turns the motor instead of the other wheel, than the other wheel is providing too much resistance and it is likely the problem.

If both wheels turn hard, the problem is likely the differential itself.