Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Recharging Batteries---so charge recognizes batteries!! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=25478)

zuluking 11-05-2009 09:26 PM

Recharging Batteries---so charge recognizes batteries!!

is there any issues with bypassing the charger start relay so that you can get your batteries charged enough to have battery charge turn on automatically?
seems to me that that is the easiest way to charge all batteries at once.

Also just replaced the board on my charger from local ezgo shop. Man are those board expensive. Now i just need to get enough charge in batteries to see the charger charge.

cheers
frank

scrunner 11-06-2009 05:56 AM

Re: Recharging Batteries---so charge recognizes batteries!!

I think you will probably need to use a seperate charger to get a little juice in the batteries first. Since you just replaced the board in your charger, I wouldn't go trying to bypass saftey features in it right away...

gmathew2 11-06-2009 09:18 AM

From my experience it will not hurt the recently changed board if you bypass the relay, just only let the charger charge the batteries for no more than 2 hrs like this. It should be enough time to get your cart batteries to turn on the relay inside the charger after 2 hrs anyway.

monkey-1 11-06-2009 09:22 AM

If you have a standard 12 volt charger, you can charge 2 batteries (12volts) at a time to bring the total pack up so that the charger will recognize the batteries. Isolate the batteries you are charging by taking them out of the pack.

jauguston 11-06-2009 10:58 AM

Monkey,

"Isolate the batteries while charging" Why ???

Jim

monkey-1 11-06-2009 11:28 AM

I mean to take them out of the pack by removing a wire in between each pair. So basically you will charge 2 batteries at a time (12volts). If you dont remove them from the pack by removing a wire in between each set, the 12v charger will 'see' 36 volts.

jauguston 11-06-2009 02:18 PM

Wrong!

Jim

dougmcp 11-06-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey-1 (Post 307488)
I mean to take them out of the pack by removing a wire in between each pair. So basically you will charge 2 batteries at a time (12volts). If you dont remove them from the pack by removing a wire in between each set, the 12v charger will 'see' 36 volts.

Sorry to say this is not my understanding.
If you charge or measure a single 6v battery in a pack, it will read 6v and it will also charge 6v with a 6v charger. If you measure or charge 2x6v batteries in series they will read 12v and can be charged with a 12v charger without affecting anything else.
When measuring battery voltage, you will will only see the number of batteries you have your meter across.

monkey-1 11-06-2009 02:59 PM

I personally would take them out. Necessary, no-as a cautionary measure.

scottyb 11-06-2009 03:47 PM

CAUTION! There is nothing wrong with being safe! Or with recommending a safety proceedure to another member. Whether or not you deem it unneccesary doesn't make it wrong for the average new member. When load testing batteries the truest results will be had when they are isolated from the pack. There is some voltage leaking that occures during the draw off... It stands to reason that the same could be said for the charge cycle.... If it's not hurting anything, why you gotta call it wrong? ...:mrgreen: