Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   All things Lithium (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Starting My Lithium Conversion (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=143012)

blfinche 06-18-2018 08:48 AM

Starting My Lithium Conversion

1 Attachment(s)
I'm finally pulling the trigger on my conversion. Why am I converting? I like the the maintenance free aspect, I like to tinker, and I get enjoyment out of making things work myself. I have placed orders and I will post pictures as the items come. I'll post as many pictures of the conversion process as I can.

This conversion is heavily influence by E36 Racer's Conversion.

I'll list the equipment chosen, price, and where I got it. I'll keep this first post updated with everything I purchased for the conversion.

Equipment

BMS - 8-16 Cell Integrated Battery Management System with 200 amp Shunt - $220

BMS Display - EVMS Monitor V3 - $108

Temperature Probe & Wire - $10

Charger - TC Charger - $225 + $81 Shipping

Batteries - Nissan Leaf 62AH Cell - $1040

ClubCarDSIQ 06-18-2018 11:00 AM

Re: Starting My Lithium Conversion

Excellent! I am looking at doing the the same and I like that you are including links and prices of the components. Great start for a useful thread!:thumbup:
Don

NCPW 06-18-2018 01:39 PM

Subbed

E36Racer 06-18-2018 07:32 PM

I’m flattered that you were inspired by my build. If you need any assistance with the Zava components don’t hesitate to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blfinche 06-19-2018 08:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My first shipment has arrived. It didn't take too long. I order on 6/12 and it arrived on 6/18. This was from Australia and they are 12 hours ahead of us. Ian answered my question via email promptly. So far I'm happy with the support I've received.

BMS
My BMS is an integrated unit that handles the battery management functions and monitoring, which is a little different than the one used by E36Racer in his build. His battery his battery monitors where separate units that communicated over the CAN bus. This unit is probably a little less flexible, but it looks to be capable of handling what I need. It probably costs a little less too. Zeva has also switched from molex connectors for the CAN bus, to screw terminals. I wasn't looking forward to wiring those connectors
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...6&d=1529412081

Touch Screen

I ordered the touch screen in a case thinking I could take it out and panel mount it, if I preferred. It looks like this was a good assumption. The screen is held in a 3D printed case by four screws. I can use the case as template, if I panel mount it. Also, the touch screen has switched over to screw terminals.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...8&d=1529412081
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...9&d=1529412081

Shunt

The system uses a shunt to measure the current flowing from the battery and this information is used to determine the amount of capacity used. It is not absolutely required, but it's on $15 more and who doesn't want to know how much battery capacity it left. Zeva also has a current sensor, you can use on the CAN bus. It's about 2.5 times the costs and I doubt that it is accurate.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...7&d=1529412081

Temperature Sensor

What can I say? It's really tiny and detects battery temps. There is only one temp sensor interface on the unit, so you are instructed to place the sensor in the center of the pack.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...0&d=1529412501

NCPW 06-19-2018 10:29 AM

Great explanation and images. Thank you for doing this. :thumbup:

cmcnice 06-19-2018 07:32 PM

Agreed on starting this thread with pics which is very helpful! I too have started an identical lithium conversion, using the exact same equipment. Awaiting delivery of Zeva products (agreed Ian was very helpful and prompt) and TC charger (which after emailing them, is a 2-3 week programming and shipping process from China). I will tell you, on the advice of some of the experienced guys here, if you haven't already, email the charger people when they are programming it and ask them to program it so it doesn't give an error message when run on 110VAC US outlets. Their US default is to run on either 110 or 220 but if you run 110 it gives an error even tho it works fine. It is purely an annoyance if it happens but can't be corrected. I will also post along my experience, etc as I go. I am also simultaneously upgrading the cart - 2000 Yamaha G16E - to 48V from the stock 36V.

E36Racer 06-19-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcnice (Post 1513616)
Agreed on starting this thread with pics which is very helpful! I too have started an identical lithium conversion, using the exact same equipment. Awaiting delivery of Zeva products (agreed Ian was very helpful and prompt) and TC charger (which after emailing them, is a 2-3 week programming and shipping process from China). I will tell you, on the advice of some of the experienced guys here, if you haven't already, email the charger people when they are programming it and ask them to program it so it doesn't give an error message when run on 110VAC US outlets. Their US default is to run on either 110 or 220 but if you run 110 it gives an error even tho it works fine. It is purely an annoyance if it happens but can't be corrected. I will also post along my experience, etc as I go. I am also simultaneously upgrading the cart - 2000 Yamaha G16E - to 48V from the stock 36V.

One tip with the TC charger that came up with a local guy that ran into a speed bump. If they send it with the plug for the CAN pre wired, don’t pay attention to the wire colors and refer to the pin positions. My charger came with bare plugs that I assembled so I didn’t have this problem.

Also I’m jealous of the updated Zeva stuff and the fact they ditched the molex plugs. They were a PITA and probably doubled the time needed for all of the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blfinche 06-22-2018 08:53 AM

I was hoping to start building my pack this weekend, but I'm not going to be home today to receive the batteries and Fedex won't deliver without the signature (Hazardous Materials) of the person who ordered them. I'm still waiting on my controller to ship. I will let everyone know what to expect in shipping times from the vendors I ordered from, when the items arrive.

Jkerle 07-03-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blfinche (Post 1514374)
I was hoping to start building my pack this weekend, but I'm not going to be home today to receive the batteries and Fedex won't deliver without the signature (Hazardous Materials) of the person who ordered them. I'm still waiting on my controller to ship. I will let everyone know what to expect in shipping times from the vendors I ordered from, when the items arrive.

FED EX was kind enough to leave my cells with out me being home to sign! I was shocked I thought for sure it would be a royal PITA for me to get them.

Good luck with the build man! I did this same setup with the updated ZEVA components. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask everything is pretty straight forward. What size/manufacture controller are you going with? Thoughts on a motor? The weight loss combined with the torque increase = ridiculous.

Watch the regen settings when you first start up. The BMS didn't like much more than 50 amps going to the battery from regen. In my case it might have just been my settings. I was pretty conservative. I have the overvoltage set pretty low on the cells I think 4.1 just to be safe. I kept getting cell overvoltage warnings slowing from full speed. This warning shuts the BMS off.

Also- I didn't wire my BMS to a solenoid so in theory I could run the batteries down past a safe state but it wouldn't happen with out multiple warnings. I have yet to even get to 50% on a single outing.