Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club Car Precedent alignment issue (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152706)

Rome3433 05-09-2019 08:20 PM

Club Car Precedent alignment issue

2 Attachment(s)
Hello!

First timer here! I have a club car with a wheel that's worked itself way out of alignment. What could have failed? Tierod or steering rack? Not many things that hold the wheel straight! The threads on end of tierod are right where they were when I aligned the cart with the locknut secure. Tire is way out of alignment. Undrivable. See photos attached.

Thanks in advance!

Rome

TahoeDawgZ71 05-09-2019 08:49 PM

Re: Club Car Precedent alignment issue

If this car was once aligned and nobody has adjusted the alignment, then it's definitely had a frontal impact. It either has a bent spindle and/or a bent upper control arm.

Rome3433 05-09-2019 09:03 PM

Guy said it happened gradually over 2 weeks. No sudden impact or cause. Anything else it could be?

DannyAbear 05-09-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rome3433 (Post 1613213)
Guy said it happened gradually over 2 weeks. No sudden impact or cause. Anything else it could be?

His kids were scared to tell him...

TahoeDawgZ71 05-09-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rome3433 (Post 1613213)

I worked as a mobile mechanic for a Club Car dealership for a while before I started managing the shop. I heard the same story more times than I can count. There's no way this can happen. Tie rods don't stretch.

Get on the car, drive the car. Turn the steering wheel to the Top dead center, 12 o clock position. Hop off the car and stand in front of the car and look at the front end. One side is going to be correct, pointing straight as the steering wheel should reflect. The other side is going to be wandering way off to the outside of the car. This is the side where the impact was taken. Take a look at the upper control arm on this side. If it's flat it's fine, replace the spindle. If the control arm is bent, you may be able to get away with only replacing the control arm, but more often than not, when a Precedent takes a front end impact the spindle gets bend. Only a slight bend in the spindle can wreak havoc on alignment. I suggest replacing the control arm, clevis, and spindle on that side. If you've got a bent spindle you'll still be able to get proper alignment when going straight, but due to the bend in the spindle this side of the car won't steer at the same rate as the other side, therefore changing your toe throughout the radius of the turn. This will result in the tires chirping when you take a turn and you'll feel the car start to feel like it's hopping.

NoleFan4Ever 05-09-2019 09:58 PM

Hey Tahoe, how about all those newer Precedent carts you got in and placed lift kits on.....Don't you have a bunch of spare OEM parts that you removed off of them??

TahoeDawgZ71 05-09-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever (Post 1613234)
Hey Tahoe, how about all those newer Precedent carts you got in and placed lift kits on.....Don't you have a bunch of spare OEM parts that you removed off of them??

Yes. Piles and piles of them. We lifted a bunch (Probably 200 in the past year) of 2018 and 2019 Precedents that have little to no hours on them. When we put lift kits on, the entire front ends come off and get thrown in the pile. The front end parts are like new. They're available for sale on the site. Just use the drop down menu on the individual product page to select "OEM-USED". Order an A-Arm and a Spindle and I'll include a new clevis and kingpin for free.

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/s...sion-precedent

Rome3433 05-09-2019 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm picking this cart up Sunday. I'll be sure to let you know what I find. Tahoe, I may be ordering some of those OEM takeoffs.

Thanks again!

Rome

Fairtax4me 05-09-2019 10:27 PM

Bent spindle or control arm. Or the bushings in the control arm are worn out gone.

The arm on the spindle that the tie rod attaches to is a weak point and is easy to bend. It may not be obvious from a cursory glance. Look close for cracked paint near the weld. Dead giveaway.

I put a lift on a precedent for a friend of mine after his kid drove it into a ditch at full speed. Spindle bent and the left wheel was sideways just like that.

TahoeDawgZ71 05-10-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rome3433 (Post 1613242)
Thanks everyone! I'm picking this cart up Sunday. I'll be sure to let you know what I find. Tahoe, I may be ordering some of those OEM takeoffs.

Thanks again!

Rome

Sounds good. I'll make you a deal on a whole pallet full of them if you're interested. lol.