Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Charging question for 05 Precedent (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33444)

Woodequip 05-24-2010 08:30 PM

Charging question for 05 Precedent

Hello: Bought a 05 Precedent that had weak 07 batteries. I replaced these in February with new 12v Trojans. Everything was fine for about 30 days but it started getting weak after 18 holes. I replaced the battery cables,(with the exception of the one thru the OBC. The cart charger appears to be working fine. (cuts on when plugged up and is off when I return to the course). I can unplug the charger (after it has cut off from an overnight charge)and plug it back in but it returns to about 12 amps and appears to be resuming charging. If I do this upon getting to the course, walk 9 holes, the charger has shut off. It still does not feel like it is fully charged. Does this sound like a faulty OBC? It sounds like the original problem with the 04 carts but I thought this was fixed with the 05. I tried reseting the OBC but it still does the same thing. Nothing out of the idiot light...does not come on while the cart is in use or on/off when I restart the charger. Any ideas?

OLD MEC 05-25-2010 10:18 AM

Re: Charging question for 05 Precedent

You need to check battery charge condition to find out whats going on
#1 first with either a digital volt meter across first each battery ( 12.73 volts ) and then total pack voltage ( 51-53 ) volts OR
#2 with a single float hydrometer check each battery cell for 1.275 which is fully charged. See chart in stickies under ( state of charge )
Both tests must be done AFTER being off charger for at least 2 hours to get correct readings.
NOTE I WOULD NOT THINK NEW BATTERYS ARE ALWAY GOOD?

Woodequip 05-25-2010 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will check the voltages but based on what I have been told about Trojans....don't think that's the problem. I may have to take the cart home and monitor the charge time.

shadowman 05-25-2010 06:31 PM

also keep in mind C.C. had a nightmare when they went to the 4 12 volt system thats why they went back to the 6 8 volt batts..............you may not have a problem at all just those 12 volt batts...............as for the OBC if cart is running and charging i wouldn,t touch the OBC.............................i would convert to 6 8 volt batts i,ll bet you,ll be much happier..........................................8 )

Woodequip 05-31-2010 09:50 PM

Brought the cart home and hooked up the charger. It ran for 2 hours and shut off. unplugged and reconnected and it went for another 2 hours. Did this three times to get the charger to go from 10 amps to 5 amps. Does this indicate that the OBC is bad? It does not do the battery check when first connected...just starts charging. The battery and pack voltage indicate that the charger is stopping prior to full charge. The OBC is the version 2.06 that Club Car says has the newer software to take care of previous issues. Anyone else seen this?

golfcarfixer 05-31-2010 10:41 PM

Itm sounds to me like you have a OBC problem,but just to be sure if you have access to another charger or another cart to check your charger with just to eliminate that possability.:thumbup: