Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dreaded G1 Electrical Help Post (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157191)

Ponchjoe 09-16-2019 08:41 AM

The Dreaded G1 Electrical Help Post

Hi all,

I am working on my FILs 82 G1 that the reverse solenoid just clicks. Forward works so I swapped wires to verify it is the solenoid. I ordered the White Rodgers solenoid and installed it yesterday only to have the same symptom. My father-in-law installed a new key switch but gave me the original so I was going to try it but noticed a broken terminal so I pitched it and reinstalled the new one. I cleaned all connections and now I have nothing.
I put a meter on the switch connector and have voltage at the white wire that changes if I turn the key so I believe the switch is working. I’ve downloaded the manual to start trouble shooting but am beginning to wonder if the harness is bad somewhere since I pulled it up to reinstall the key switch.

If anyone has some tips of things to check in a certain order I would appreciate the input, trouble shooting electrical is not my forte. I have been reading all the information here but don’t see a scenario like mine.

CP241 09-16-2019 09:50 AM

Re: The Dreaded G1 Electrical Help Post

I'm not familiar with the G1 specifically, but electrical diag is the same for pretty much any cart.

Check your wiring diagram here http://www.courtesygolfcars.com/yamaha-schematics

Looks like at the key switch, (with the switch unplugged) you should have continuity between the white, red/white, and blue wires in the reverse position. And the white/green, black, red, and pink wires should also have continuity with each other when in the reverse position.

Then verify the blue wire at the solenoid is getting voltage when in the reverse position, and the black wire has a good ground connection.

If you have voltage coming out of the key switch on the blue wire, but nothing getting to the solenoid then there's a break in the wire somewhere. You could try and chase it down but honestly, I would run a jumper wire directly from the key switch to the solenoid and see if that works. Just drape it over, doesn't have to be fancy or neat, it's just a test. If it works, then it would probably be easier to just run a new wire alongside the factory harness. If that's the case lots of zip ties so it doesn't get caught on something as you're driving.

Ponchjoe 09-16-2019 11:05 AM

Thanks for the reply and link, I will look at that this evening.

Has anyone had experience with using one White Rodgers and one original solenoid? I wired it the same as it was with both originals.

Lochlin 09-17-2019 09:24 AM

Your solenoids might not be the issue at all. The test for the them is simple. Put the black VM to ground that put the red one on one of the large posts on the F solenoid. With the key on F there should be no voltage at those large post. Hit the gas and now there should be voltage on that large post. Do the same thing for the reverse solenoid.

If you don't have voltage at those large solenoid posts with the accelerator depressed then your issue is prior to the solenoids (key switch or stop switch by the accelerator itself or wiring). If you have voltage at the large posts when the accelerator is pressed then the issue are the solenoids themselves (unlikely to be both at the same time) or something after the solenoids which is really only the starter or associated wiring.

mikeasis 09-17-2019 03:42 PM

unfortunately the stock key switches are worn out after 30+ years of service and the aftermarket key switches are aren't the greatest and seem to have gotten worse. Ive read about a decent amount of these being bad from the get go on the G1 facebook page. You may want to ty another.

CP241 09-17-2019 04:25 PM

Maybe if hes not worried about theft, bypass the key switch (or just wire in an on/off key switch) in series with a 3 way toggle switch? Flip up for forward, down for reverse...

Ponchjoe 09-18-2019 06:43 PM

I have battery voltage at all large posts of the solenoids when the pedal is at rest and when pushed except the ground side of course

mikeasis 09-18-2019 07:29 PM

Inspect, clean or replace all of you high voltage cables. These are the bigger wires going from starter gen to Battery and starter gen to solenoids. The stock cable ends are steel and corrode causing voltage drop. One of the best things I did to my 84 was replace these cables

Ponchjoe 09-18-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeasis (Post 1654163)
Inspect, clean or replace all of you high voltage cables. These are the bigger wires going from starter gen to Battery and starter gen to solenoids. The stock cable ends are steel and corrode causing voltage drop. One of the best things I did to my 84 was replace these cables

Hi Mike,
That's a great maintenance idea but I need to figure out why I've lost forward when I had it before and after replacing the one solenoid. I have battery voltage at every post on the starter/gen. so it's not the cables. Maybe it is the key switch that has failed...

Ponchjoe 09-22-2019 06:24 PM

Edit, I have had reverse working now but it is a bit hesitant sometimes. I’m wondering if there isn’t a bad spot in the armature.

Ok, found a broken wire and now have forward back. Reverse is trying to work but the starter/generator moves a little with the belt loose and sometimes will take off. What should I check before saying it’s the starter/generator?
Thanks