Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Precedent charging problem (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=45710)

teckersley 03-20-2011 08:14 AM

Precedent charging problem

I need some help troubleshooting a charging problem on my Precedent. I can not get the charger to turn on. Thinking it might be the charger, I replaced the rectifier, relay, and breaker on the charger. No luck. I disconnected all of the batteries and charged them separately and ran the cart. The batteries didn't last long at all. I put it back on the charger and still nothing.

Is there something else on the charger or cart that may be keeping the charger from starting?

Could bad batteries be causing this?

Thanks

shadowman 03-20-2011 10:19 AM

Re: Precedent charging problem

what year, it could be the OBC when they go bad one of the symptons about 90% is the charger will not work......have you tested all batteries to make sure they are good and will hold a charge? if not get a volt meter and do so......also grab and pull cables make sure you don,t have a broken one somewhere ...............batteries should read approx 8.5 volts for a good fully charged battery.................8)

GLEEMO 03-20-2011 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try bypassing the OBC at the charger

golfcar guy 03-20-2011 11:46 PM

Check your battery voltage. If's below 32 volts the charger will not turn on. Have a good look at your cables, Take them off and see if they are plyable or hard. If they are hard, corrision has taken over and should be replaced. Check the red charger plug cable, look for a clean good connection on the number 1 battery

teckersley 03-21-2011 01:13 PM

After disconnecting all the cables and charging each battery separately, I plugged in the charger and it still didnt come on. I drove about a mile or so, plugged it back in and still nothing. Then I went for the joyride and the dang thing went dead on me real fast and of course now it wont come on either.

I am trying to figure out if there is a common problem. Knowing that i changed a lot of the internal parts of the charger that typically bad, I need to try the OBC. Can someone provide a bigger picture or specific insturctions on how to do this.

In the picture above: I know I have a brand new breaker so I do not think I need to worry about that. When "jumping" the other 2 wires, is it literally as easy as unplugging both of then and the connecting them together? Is this all that needs to be done or does something on the cart itself need to be addressed?

Thanks

shadowman 03-21-2011 01:26 PM

if you charged all batteries i would think your OBC might have went out and won,t allow the charger to come on.....this is a part on cart not in the charger................................8)

GLEEMO 03-21-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLEEMO (Post 537707)
Try bypassing the OBC at the charger

Measure the entire pack voltage , and post the results here ?
Then if the pack voltage is above 38 Volts and the charger does not come on
Then reset the OBC. = http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-system.html
Try charger again after OBC reset completes .
If charger still does not come on then

Do this bypass charger test above using the jumper.
if the charger comes on U will know if it's the OBC defective?

teckersley 03-24-2011 08:19 AM

OK. So last night I did the OBC bypass on the charger and the charger came on so it tells me I have a bad OBC right?

However, I knew the charger would not turn off automatically but it left it on for about an hour and it raised the overall voltage from 47.2 to 48.5. At first, the new reading said 50.5 but over night it dropped to the 48.5 level. Does this sound about right? As long as i keep an eye on it not letting it get more than 50.90ish, can I charge it like this until I can get the OBC replaced? Do I need to worry about anything else this way? If it reduced initial voltage overnight, can i just keep the charger on for a few hours or do I need to watch some sort of instantaneous charing reading?

Also, while I was at it, I went ahead and topped off the batteries with distilled water. i noticed in a few cells (not many but 2 or 3) with some white or ligth gray colored "goo" looking stuff on the cells. What is that? Anything to worry about?

Thanks for all the help.

GLEEMO 03-24-2011 09:44 AM

Yes , the voltage will settle and the surface charge will drop off on its on after 5-8 hours.
When a charger completes normally toward the end, it can do over 60 Volts. Then
it starts dropping after setting or as soon as U drive it. so charge it a couple more hours
because at 48.5 U'r still in bad shape. Do not leave the charger jumped.

Good work :thumbup:

shadowman 03-24-2011 09:57 AM

so all you need to do now is pop a new OBC in it..........not bad cost about the same as buying 1 battery.................not hard to install...............8)