Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2019 trail camera pics (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=156397)

70oldsracer 08-20-2019 01:54 PM

2019 trail camera pics

2 Attachment(s)
Let's see those prospects for the upcoming 2019 hunting season. I'll start it off with some decent bucks.

CP241 08-27-2019 08:04 PM

Re: 2019 trail camera pics

Maybe I'm less of a "man" for saying it, I just dont understand why anyone would want to kill something as peaceful and elegant as a deer. Not like they do anything bad...

Hogs and stuff I can sorta understand. They are dangerous and destructive but deer?

Obviously I'm not a hunter :lol:

Rooster59 08-27-2019 10:52 PM

Because they taste good.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mooncarter 08-27-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1648416)
Maybe I'm less of a "man" for saying it, I just dont understand why anyone would want to kill something as peaceful and elegant as a deer. Not like they do anything bad...

Hogs and stuff I can sorta understand. They are dangerous and destructive but deer?

"Peaceful and elegant?" Sounds like you should be judging fashion shows and not what us hunters do. :lhmo:

Mooncarter 08-28-2019 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1648416)

Here is something "peaceful and elegant" I'm sure you can relate to. Nobody is judgemental here. Whatever you like. Just ain't got nothing to do with us hunting. If you don't like it why did you feel like judging us hunting deer?

Start your own thread about elegant and peaceful deer.

Mooncarter 08-28-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70oldsracer (Post 1646311)
Let's see those prospects for the upcoming 2019 hunting season. I'll start it off with some decent bucks.

Nice!

BBBHC 08-28-2019 07:43 AM

There is also the issue of controlling population. In most parts of the country there are no longer enough natural predators (other than us humans) to keep the population in check. It is an unfortunate thing, that life depends on death. It is the natural order of things.

jclark138 08-28-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBHC (Post 1648496)
There is also the issue of controlling population. In most parts of the country there are no longer enough natural predators (other than us humans) to keep the population in check. It is an unfortunate thing, that life depends on death. It is the natural order of things.

To each his own
The balance is upset by us, and we need to make some effort to correct it, or nature will make its own correction- and we won’t like the result.
The Kiabab Plateau in Northern AZ has some species unique to the area, ( a specific deer for one) so to protect it, hunting was outlawed. Within two years the population was large enough ( no predators) that they were all starving - not enough feed to sustain the herd. So feed ( not their normal feeder course) was air-dropped to save the deer. Managed hunting has been in place again , and so far seems to be good for the last 25 years or so.
My two-cents$

DaveTM 08-28-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark138 (Post 1648517)
To each his own
The balance is upset by us, and we need to make some effort to correct it, or nature will make its own correction- and we won’t like the result.
The Kiabab Plateau in Northern AZ has some species unique to the area, ( a specific deer for one) so to protect it, hunting was outlawed. Within two years the population was large enough ( no predators) that they were all starving - not enough feed to sustain the herd. So feed ( not their normal feeder course) was air-dropped to save the deer. Managed hunting has been in place again , and so far seems to be good for the last 25 years or so.
My two-cents$

I'm not quite sure if your agreeing with managed hunting or not. It's the responsibility of State Game Agencies to issue a given number of license or tags to keep game populations under "control" or given numbers. This is done to avoid wild game from over browsing and thus, not having enough food to sustain a given population of wild animals.

Game numbers taken are controlled by Game Agencies dividing up areas....and then limiting the number of days hunting can take place in those areas. There is a direct correlation between hunting days and animals taken.

Here in Pennsylvania, hunters (myself included) kill, take, harvest....call it what you want, about 350,000 whitetail deer....buck and doe. The remaining deer population is sufficient to sustain those harvest numbers. If hunting were halted I can't even image not only the starving deer that would die, but the deer\vehicle accidents that would occur.

Fairtax4me 08-28-2019 03:53 PM

Why shoot a deer?
Well, that can partly be a matter of perspective. It can also party be a matter of that some people enjoy the taste of the meat. Contrary to what some people may believe, the majority of hunting is not done for sheer sport. Quite a lot of people depend on meat from hunting to help sustain their families during certain seasons. Especially people who do labor jobs where the work may be seasonally dependent.

The area I live in is largely lower income, blue collar population. Deer are quite prevalent here, but many of the people in this area do hunt and as mentioned above, many of them do rely on meat harvested from hunting. Go about two hours north of here into the Northern VA area, and there is a much larger human population, but many fewer hunters, and many of the municipalities do not allow hunting of any kind. This means there are high populations of deer that feed on what they can eat in peoples yards. Yet they still starve due to gross over-population. The numbers of deer laying dead on the side of roads there is ridiculous, and what little meat may be on those deer essentially goes to rot in the ditch because no-one eats them. State and county expenses are in the millions $$ to pay crews just to drive around all day and collect deer and animal carcasses. There are limited population control hunters who are hired to thin out herds in some areas, but they can only do so much, and hunting is only allowed in very small areas.

Is it more of a crime to allow them to starve, be run over by cars, and then tossed in a pit and buried?
Or to be allowed to feed and grow naturally and harvested for consumption by people who will use the meat for survival?

Not trying to jump on anyone's case, but hoping to seed/grow a better understanding of the subject.

Plus we're off-topic...
But back on topic, I just got a new camera I need to set up. There's a few coyotes that I'd like to have a run at this fall. And a couple really nice sized bucks that I saw a few weeks ago that I'd like to get a closer look at. And Turkey season is coming up and I know there's some big toms running around out here too.

Gazoo 08-28-2019 04:27 PM

:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairtax4me (Post 1648592)
Why shoot a deer?
Well, that can partly be a matter of perspective. It can also party be a matter of that some people enjoy the taste of the meat. Contrary to what some people may believe, the majority of hunting is not done for sheer sport. Quite a lot of people depend on meat from hunting to help sustain their families during certain seasons. Especially people who do labor jobs where the work may be seasonally dependent.

The area I live in is largely lower income, blue collar population. Deer are quite prevalent here, but many of the people in this area do hunt and as mentioned above, many of them do rely on meat harvested from hunting. Go about two hours north of here into the Northern VA area, and there is a much larger human population, but many fewer hunters, and many of the municipalities do not allow hunting of any kind. This means there are high populations of deer that feed on what they can eat in peoples yards. Yet they still starve due to gross over-population. The numbers of deer laying dead on the side of roads there is ridiculous, and what little meat may be on those deer essentially goes to rot in the ditch because no-one eats them. State and county expenses are in the millions $$ to pay crews just to drive around all day and collect deer and animal carcasses. There are limited population control hunters who are hired to thin out herds in some areas, but they can only do so much, and hunting is only allowed in very small areas.

Is it more of a crime to allow them to starve, be run over by cars, and then tossed in a pit and buried?
Or to be allowed to feed and grow naturally and harvested for consumption by people who will use the meat for survival?

Not trying to jump on anyone's case, but hoping to seed/grow a better understanding of the subject.

Plus we're off-topic...
But back on topic, I just got a new camera I need to set up. There's a few coyotes that I'd like to have a run at this fall. And a couple really nice sized bucks that I saw a few weeks ago that I'd like to get a closer look at. And Turkey season is coming up and I know there's some big toms running around out here too.

Mooncarter 08-28-2019 04:35 PM

Well said FT. It is not unusual to see many deer in parking lots in NOVA eating grass in the 4 foot strips of grass in and around them. Also, to add to the above they are so plentiful it makes riding a motorcycle even more dangerous.

I probably got a bit carried away above, but it seems that nobody any more has any tolerance for something THEY don't like. Whether it's a Confederate statue, a nativity scene, gun ownership, hunting, etc. I for one have had it with other people claiming my beliefs and values "offend" them or make them uncomfortable.

I believe the Bible, and it says God gave man dominion over animals. I don't care if someone else does not believe that, just don't interfere with my right to believe it.

CP241 08-28-2019 05:21 PM

Hey, no offense here buddy :thumbup: I didnt mean to sound like I was attacking anybody. I dont think any differently of people that do or dont hunt. Different strokes for different folks :)

Around here about everybody hunts. And then they clean them and dump the carcasses everywhere illegally... fields, dirt roads, ditches off the sides of the road, etc. I've lost count how many nasty things my dogs have brought home from God knows where...

I was just curious more than anything really. I have deer running through my front yard regularly. They dont hurt anything and I let them be. My neighbor shoots them off his back porch, no need for tromping through the woods i guess :lhmo:

I understand everybody has their own feelings and beliefs. Just because something isnt for me doesnt mean I want to push my beliefs on anyone else same as I dont want the opposite done to me. Sorry, didnt mean to start a big argument here or anything :)

Mooncarter 08-28-2019 05:27 PM

70oldsracer 09-02-2019 03:47 PM

Not the outcome i was looking for.

Lochlin 09-03-2019 02:19 PM

I have never hunted a day in my life but I hate deer and am glad people blast the &%^ * out of them. My neighborhood is overrun with them. I have hit two with a car (well, one actually took a header into the side of my car so technically it hit me). Particularly in the fall, my lawn contains more deer poo than dirt. I have to crunch over it every time I mow. Heck, just last fall a buck squared up on me while I was mowing. He wanted to fight me as evidenced by his stomping and scraping at the ground like a bull does while getting ready to attack a matador. I was able to chase him with the mower though and he took off. I know not one but two people who got Lyme disease this past year. Although it's not often fatal there is no cure.

Deer are nothing more than huge rats in my mind.....just a lot prettier.

Gazoo 09-05-2019 05:49 AM

Deer are nothing more than huge rats in my mind.....just a lot prettier.[/QUOTE]

....and tastier. :lhmo:

buckmanmike 09-06-2019 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope to see this one this season.

Mooncarter 09-06-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 1650354)
Deer are nothing more than huge rats in my mind.....just a lot prettier.

....and tastier. :lhmo:[/QUOTE]

Mooncarter 09-06-2019 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmanmike (Post 1650604)

70oldsracer 09-06-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckmanmike (Post 1650604)

looks good

70oldsracer 09-06-2019 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more good ones. Looks like they're shedding their velvet already and gotta love to see daylight pics

jclark138 09-06-2019 05:14 PM

Healthy looking buck- Strange winter/spring here seems to have thrown-off things. Still seeing spotted fawns, and baby turkeys. Not usual for September here.:|

Mooncarter 09-06-2019 05:18 PM

That is a nice buck!

DaveTM 09-06-2019 06:09 PM

Nah.....he's a little thing. Tell me where these pics were taken and I'll come there and chase away anyone who wants to arrow him.

Yeah.....I will!!!

DaveTM 09-06-2019 06:12 PM

Last years kill. I got him the last day of archery.

https://i.imgur.com/y3LBQ76.jpg

70oldsracer 09-07-2019 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTM (Post 1650830)
Last years kill. I got him the last day of archery.

https://i.imgur.com/y3LBQ76.jpg

That's an awesome buck!!

Fairtax4me 09-08-2019 04:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Bad pic but a decent buck still in velvet. Gonna re-position the camera along the trail a bit further down and see if I can get a better pic of that one. I know there are several large bucks that run through that area I just need to find which trails they run. There's gotta be 50 different trails that run through the woods there along the river bottom.

Moved the camera up to one of the fields where I see turkeys all the time. Got a few shots of some does and a spike, but nothing really special there.
Then I got one of the flocks of turkeys! There's another smaller flock that I've seen through here as well but they didn't show for the two days I had the camera there. Smaller numbers, but larger birds.
And I got bumble bee! Gonna have to hunt that one down for sure! :mrgreen:

Mooncarter 09-08-2019 04:39 PM

Now you've got me thinking FT. When is Bumble Bee season in VA?

Fairtax4me 09-08-2019 08:48 PM

I think it’s april until you kill ‘em all... :lol:

At least, that’s how it is for carpenter bees!

70oldsracer 09-18-2019 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couple of new ones. Looks like it could be a good year:thumbup:

Fairtax4me 09-24-2019 08:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Very nice!
Went out to check mine this evening. It's been out there 5 days and I couldn't wait anymore. On the way out I stumbled across the stag party. :mrgreen:

Very grainy pic, but zoomed in as far as the old iphone would go. Couple 6s and an 8 crossing the field.

Got the camera and found it Loaded with pics of does, a handful of smaller bucks, and one Very nice one! :jump:

Mooncarter 09-24-2019 09:21 PM

Nice party there FT! Although it's not that far from here, y'all have nicer bucks up there.

Fairtax4me 09-25-2019 09:02 AM

Well they are on a 250+ acre farm surrounded by a river on three sides. But nobody is feeding them anything to help them grow, and they do have to compete with the 80 or so horses that are out there right now for grazing.

NCPW 09-25-2019 01:44 PM

Couple of nice ones in the phone photo FT4M.:thumbup:

Fairtax4me 09-26-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCPW (Post 1656354)
Couple of nice ones in the phone photo FT4M.:thumbup:

They sure are! Except, I haven’t got a pic of him yet, but there’s a monster out there that puts those to shame... :shock:

jclark138 09-26-2019 11:38 PM

And all my venison recipes, never mention antlers . . . .

Since every state varies so much, do you folks get doe tags in VA ?

NCPW 09-27-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark138 (Post 1656770)
And all my venison recipes, never mention antlers . . . .

Since every state varies so much, do you folks get doe tags in VA ?

None of mine do either jclark138 :thumbup: Plus I hear antler meat doesn't taste good anyway.

Here in NC we can tag 2 antlered and 4 antlerless deer a season.

jclark138 09-28-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCPW (Post 1656813)
None of mine do either jclark138 :thumbup: Plus I hear antler meat doesn't taste good anyway.

Here in NC we can tag 2 antlered and 4 antlerless deer a season.

Thanks NCPW - good to know. I’m trying for a job near Asheville :thumbup:

buckmanmike 10-05-2019 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updated pic of deer I posted earlier. Gun season starts in a couple of weeks. Hope it cools off by then.