Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Speed sensor and magnet (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=91417)

goheelzfan 03-15-2014 05:04 PM

Speed sensor and magnet

I just bought a 2006 club car precedent. It has 2008 batteries in it, and Im pretty sure the speed sensor is bad, seems like its in limp mode. Ive found the sensor and magnet on amazon. Should I try to install this myself or take it to a cc dealer? Also how do I know what speed level my cart is at?

TahoeDawgZ71 03-15-2014 10:10 PM

Re: Speed sensor and magnet

Do it yourself. It's easy. Read the "Sticky" thread about speed sensor diagnosis and see if you truly have the symptom. If you do, it's easy to fix.

goheelzfan 03-16-2014 07:15 AM

I did the test and no braking or beeping (the cart doesn't beep in reverse either) Where does the magnet go in relation to the speed sensor? How do I know what speed setting my cart is? From what Im reading it will be pointless to get the magnet if my speed setting is already a 4.

joesam 03-16-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

2006 club car precedent. It has 2008 batteries in it
If its a 2006 precedent (and hasn't been updated) you have four 12v batteries - correct? If so, the 12v batteries may be at the end of their lives (in fact yours have lasted a year or two longer than is typical; because the 12v batteries were one of CC's bad ideas which they've migrated away from). You may not be limping - you may be dying!

Connect a multimeter to the "outside" + and - posts on your battery pack - post that voltage (after the pack has sat for 12 hours off-charge). It should read between 49.5 to 50.5 volts at least. Then leaving the multimeter connected, drive the cart and monitor the voltage while going up a hill and post that voltage.

goheelzfan 03-16-2014 12:53 PM

Yeah the cart does have 4 12v batteries. I hesitated to post the age of the batteries because after riding it for a few days the speed has stayed the same and I dont think the batteries are the main problem. The speed is the same on a hill as it is on flat land. Batteries will be replaced in the next few months but I wanted to make sure I addressed the real problem.

joesam 03-16-2014 01:05 PM

Still very important monitoring the voltage - even though the speed remains the same up or downhill. With a dead cell - your cart will go slow....but continuously slow on (say) 44 volts or less.

goheelzfan 03-16-2014 01:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Is it worth it cost wise to change to 8v batteries when I get new ones?

mymonstertruck 03-16-2014 04:09 PM

Also check water levels in each cell, if one cell is extremely low on water, that will cause limp mode as well. A lot of people over look this very simple step.

joesam 03-16-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Is it worth it cost wise to change to 8v batteries when I get new ones?
The most COMPELLING answer TO THAT IS....CLUB CAR DID!

goheelzfan 03-17-2014 06:12 AM

The cart registered 50 volts this morning, haven't tried it moving yet. The water levels were good in all 4 batteries.