Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Guy here, cart running slowly (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=140252)

D 4HAND 03-27-2018 11:00 AM

New Guy here, cart running slowly

Hi everyone, I'm new on here & mechanically challenged. :lol:
My 2008 Club Car has started running slow. It will start off fast, then almost immediately slows like you've turned a switch. It continues running at the slow speed. I did notice battery terminals were corroded & cleaned them. I've also noticed it recharges & shuts off in a few hours. I don't know if this is related to slow speed problem or not. I think the "rapid" charge time could be from not driving it very far & batteries just need to be topped off? I've checked batteries with a voltmeter & they seem to be ok.

Could it be that I did not clean terminals good enough? Any ideas?

Another thing I've noticed is at times the battery gauge on the dash will be lit up, even when the cart is not plugged in & with no key in the ignition. I don't know if these things are related or not.

Thanks.

reddirt41 03-27-2018 02:07 PM

Re: New Guy here, cart running slowly

Be sure all cables are in good condition and tight. When my 2006 CC has the light come on at random times when not in use I find at least one battery with low voltage. How much voltage did each battery have? do you have four 12v batteries or six 8 volt? Welcome to the Forum. I am new here as well and this place is amazing, full of info.

Sergio 03-27-2018 02:18 PM

Sounds like a speed sensor issue... push the cart by hand and see if the motor offers resistance to movement (and the buzzer goes off after a few seconds).

Measure each individual battery with your voltmeter set to 20vDC scale in order to get 2 decimal places on the display.

Measure the batteries at least 4 hours rest after a full charge cycle and post your numbers.

D 4HAND 03-27-2018 02:23 PM

Thanks. I have 4 12V batteries. All batteries seemed to have the same amount or close to the same amount. Each battery was in the "good" area on my volt meter when under a load. One was closer to the "weak" cone. I hope that makes sense. My volt meter came from Harbor Freight & wasn't very expensive. LOL

Lochlin 03-27-2018 02:29 PM

I don't know a lot about the CC Sparkys but I do know a speed sensor gone bad as mine has gone bad twice now. The speed sensor is on the top of the motor with three (if I recall correctly) wires coming from it. Those go bad and will cause the exact symptom you have (1/2 speed after a normal start). Do a forum search there have been a lot of posts about them and you'll find a ton of info.

D 4HAND 03-27-2018 03:26 PM

Thanks.

TahoeDawgZ71 03-27-2018 06:06 PM

I agree with these guys. Sounds like a speed sensor problem. Don't buy a cheap on on eBay or Amazon. Buy a factory one, or buy 3 or 4 and keep them with you at all times.

Here's the test procedure: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...nsor-test.html

D 4HAND 03-27-2018 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I did the push it test & it seems to coast to a stop, not brake/slow itself. I also put it in "tow" position & pushed it. I couldn't tell a difference, just seemed to coast to a stop in either mode. Back up buzzer was disconnected when I bought it because it was annoying, so it wouldn't sound either way.

Attached is a pic of motor. I'm hoping someone can tell me what sensor I need? How much is a sensor?

D 4HAND 03-27-2018 06:23 PM

You take off & within 30-40 feet it's like an immediate slowing to a lower speed, almost like tripping a switch.
I hope that makes sense.

WalterM6 03-27-2018 06:45 PM

As for the rapid charge time. My drive to the grocery store is about 3 miles. It takes about 1.5 hours for them to recharge. How does that compare to your charge time.