Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   98 club car DS 48 volt shakes and violently surges (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157668)

ezgoin1980 10-01-2019 01:02 PM

98 club car DS 48 volt shakes and violently surges

Hello so I have a 98 DS 48 volt. Fresh motor rebuild from PQ, new battery cables waiting on lugs for FNR. New Trojans

So first few days cart ran flawlessly. Yesterday I put it in reverse and heard the click but no movement but sounded like motor was trying to move high pitched sound like when driving slow. Pushed cart out of garage and put in forward cart moved but not much and sounded grindy. I accelerated more and it started violently shaking. I had the motor cover off and could see the motor bucking like it was getting huge shots of voltage. It did that a few times and then out of it just cleared up and ran fine. I went around the neighborhood several times and it ran flawlessly.

I checked battery voltage it was charged showing 50.5 volts at rest after about two miles of driving. I charged the cart overnight and checked voltage this morning it was 51.4. Batteries I’m assuming we’re still coming down as I know fully charged system is 50.9 volts 24 hours at rest full charge. Tried moving cart and it did same as yesterday no reverse movement and violent surges in forward. I did not run it out yesterday as I know that kind of stress on motor and components can’t be good.

Any ideas? I felt all cables and batteries yesterday and nothing was hot in fact nothing was hardly warm besides the motor. It was warm but I could touch it I’m guessing around 130-150 degrees on motor casing.

Kind of stumped because everywhere I look at symptoms like this it’s the batteries being low. I know that’s not the case here as they’re all new and fully charged. Help?!

ezgoin1980 10-01-2019 06:20 PM

Re: 98 club car DS 48 volt shakes and violently surges

So after more digging on the inner web people suggested pumping the accelerator a few dozen times. Often this is a way to get an MCOR system working but I don’t believe my cart is MCOR. It has what I believe is called a throttle position sensor? A black box by batteries that’s shaped like a piece of pie. After pumping accelerator the cart engaged in reverse and drive without problem. I opened up the box it was dirty inside not corroded just dirty. I cleaned it with keyboard cleaner and gave it a bath of WD40. It’s working now. I’m recharging my pack and will try and get it to act up again... hoping I wasn’t getting a good connection and it just needed cleaned up. Fingers crossed

NoleFan4Ever 10-01-2019 07:29 PM

That would be your V-Glide/MSP (Multi-Step Potentiometer)

Those contact pads must be clean and sit face to face (no angler geometry). There is also a mircoswitch that has to close when you depress the pedal. Resistors are on the back to control the 5k-0 Ohm throttle.

ezgoin1980 10-02-2019 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info and proper terminology! I cleaned it up yesterday and it ran good. Curious when I get home today how it will run. Seems like it had to sit overnight to get it to do that. Hoping it was that easy of a fix! Fingers crossed.