Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   First Time cart build '99 DS (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=128692)

cfuller 04-07-2017 02:57 PM

First Time cart build '99 DS

5 Attachment(s)
New to carts and just picked up a '99 DS and instantly blew up my eBay account. Picked up the Jeep body, 6" lift, rear seat, custom seat covers, rocker guards, "carbon fiber" dash kit, steering wheel with adapter, and 14" MadJax Transformer wheels with 22" Tires. Gonna shoot the whole body in gray bedliner. Super excited to kick this off. Just want some feedback on what i should look out for when starting this project. Anything else i should update while i have it torn down to the frame? Not sure the age of the batteries but seems to run around 18 MPH with me and the Mrs. I've read that bigger tires will increase speed a bit but diminish torque, I'm not hauling anything its gonna be more of a LSV and camp site cart so I should be good on that front. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Mooncarter 04-07-2017 03:32 PM

Re: First Time cart build '99 DS

Welcome cfuller. You are starting out BIGTIME! You will find all the help/advice you need in here.

The only thing I would give a lot of thought to right off the bat is spraying that expensive body with bedliner. It may be what you want, or think you want right now, but if you ever decide to sell it or change it you could have a very expensive problem.

Good luck with your project. Keep posting pics!

dundeebarnbuggy 04-07-2017 04:47 PM

Good point. This trend of spraying EVERYTHING with rubberized undercoating will pass. Anybody remember metalflake paint and fur interiors? That Jeep body sure is SWEET though. The real thing was almost perfectly proportioned to scale down to golf cart size.:thumbup::thumbup:

crash test dummy 04-07-2017 05:43 PM

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ick-Thanks.gif

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...art-build.html

my build is on hold as i work on others carts but .. summer time is my slow time

if doing rear seats use HD springs

Aflyer 04-07-2017 07:42 PM

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

If we get a vote, I also vote for a nice shiny paint job also. But then I am old school, and use bed liner in the truck bed, LOL.

Looks like you are off to a great start,
Aflyer

Mooncarter 04-07-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflyer (Post 1371026)

If we get a vote, I also vote for a nice shiny paint job also. But then I am old school, and use bed liner in the truck bed, LOL.

Aflyer

LOL Aflyer, afraid we don't have a direct democracy around here. :lhmo:

If that's what he wants that's what he wants. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to point out it limits his future options, and I know that body is at least around 2 grand.

cfuller 04-10-2017 08:35 AM

Awesome, thanks for the input. I know trends come and go but feel like the off-road trend off rubberized paint will be here for a while, so while it may turn some away there will always be someone interested. Plus I wont have to worry about scratches in that shiny paint job.

cfuller 04-10-2017 08:40 AM

After getting to drive the cart around a little more since getting it home I've started to hear a noise coming from the rear end. Sounds like a scrubbing/rubbing sound but cant see anything like a tire rub or some other indication. I didn't here the noise when i drove it before purchasing. Is there something in the drivetrain that could cause this?

cfuller 04-10-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflyer (Post 1371026)

Aflyer

Thanks for the vote, gonna stick with Linex style paint and save the Shiny stuff for my Challenger and Grand Cherokee TrailHawk, have no desire to spend more weekend hours washing and waxing another vehicle haha. Seems to be all the rage for off-road Jeeps these days so I want it to look the part and be scratch resistant.

cfuller 04-10-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooncarter (Post 1371030)
LOL Aflyer, afraid we don't have a direct democracy around here. :lhmo:

If that's what he wants that's what he wants. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to point out it limits his future options, and I know that body is at least around 2 grand.

Thanks for the info and honestly body was much cheaper than i thought. Melissa's Golf Cart's has it listed for $1,999 on their site but only $899 on eBay. And since I'm in central Florida I can just drive over one day rather than having to cover shipping costs on something that size. With the body being that cheap it let me pick up an older cheaper cart knowing i was gonna tear it all down and start from scratch anyway.