Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Battery Disconnect (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=55832)

erict 10-17-2011 06:07 PM

Battery Disconnect

When disconnecting batteries what is the correct procedure? Main neg first then main pos? Also when reconnecting the cables do you do main pos first and main neg last?

rib33024 10-17-2011 06:45 PM

Re: Battery Disconnect

If you have a TOW/RUN switch, make sure it is fliped to TOW before you start. Detach the negative first (black) battery cable from the battery. First loosen the nut with a wrench and then pull up on the end of the cable with your hand. Place the new battery in the battery hold-down tray and secure the battery with the hold-down clamp. Attach and tighten the positive battery cable. Attach and tighten the negative battery cable. Spray both terminal ends with anti-corrosion solution (optional). Check that all cable connectors are tight.

erict 10-17-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rib33024 (Post 636160)
If you have a TOW/RUN switch, make sure it is fliped to TOW before you start. Detach the negative first (black) battery cable from the battery. First loosen the nut with a wrench and then pull up on the end of the cable with your hand. Place the new battery in the battery hold-down tray and secure the battery with the hold-down clamp. Attach and tighten the positive battery cable. Attach and tighten the negative battery cable. Spray both terminal ends with anti-corrosion solution (optional). Check that all cable connectors are tight.

So when removing cables start with the neg first then pos, correct? When reinstalling cables start with pos first then neg, correct?

dougmcp 10-17-2011 07:12 PM

As rib33024 said make sure you place the cart in the tow mode, after that it doesn't matter what you disconnect first or last.
Put some tape on your wrench so it doesn't short out on the batteries.

erict 10-17-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmcp (Post 636188)
As rib33024 said make sure you place the cart in the tow mode, after that it doesn't matter what you disconnect first or last.
Put some tape on your wrench so it doesn't short out on the batteries.

I am in the habit that any time I lift the seat I switch to tow:thumbup: I had thought I read that its good to remove the neg first and replace the pos first when reinstalling but wasn't sure if this was a golden rule. Also, does anyone use or recommend using lock washers on the battery's post studs to help keep the nut from loosening?

gornoman 10-17-2011 07:54 PM

No washers of any kind should be used on golf cart battery terminals. They just add layers of possible corrosion, and they don't work anyway. The terminal posts are soft lead and will loosen on their own from the compression of the nut, that's why we tighten them once a month during the 15 minute maintenance routine.

As for neg-pos, I have yet to see an explanation why one would be better than another.

dougmcp 10-17-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erict (Post 636196)
I am in the habit that any time I lift the seat I switch to tow:thumbup: I had thought I read that its good to remove the neg first and replace the pos first when reinstalling but wasn't sure if this was a golden rule. Also, does anyone use or recommend using lock washers on the battery's post studs to help keep the nut from loosening?

Your golden rule is correct when working with automobiles so the wrench doesn't short anything out, in a golf cart with multiple batteries it makes no difference once you flip the tow switch.
Personally, I disconnect one of the middle connections first because it's short so that when you work on all the rest there is no connection to complete the circuit.
Unless you are having a problem with cable connections coming loose I would advise against lock washers.

erict 10-17-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmcp (Post 636236)
Your golden rule is correct when working with automobiles so the wrench doesn't short anything out, in a golf cart with multiple batteries it makes no difference once you flip the tow switch.
Personally, I disconnect one of the middle connections first because it's short so that when you work on all the rest there is no connection to complete the circuit.
Unless you are having a problem with cable connections coming loose I would advise against lock washers.

:thumbup:

Stevegrmich 10-18-2011 06:43 AM

I personally believe that with golf cars, the sequence of cable removal is irrelevant because the chassis/frame is not utilized as a ground. On automobiles, the "negative off first, on last" makes sense because the entire body/frame is a ground once the battery negative is connected, lending itself to wrench slips that can cause sparks/shorts if installing the positive cable last.

shadowman 10-18-2011 12:10 PM

wether or not it has a run tow switch always disconnect the neg. cable of #6 battery or #4 battery for 12 volt and than disconncet the #1 pos. cable of the pack.............after that take cables off as you like and when putting back on the last two connections should be #1 pos. cable and the very last #6 neg. cable..................36 or 48 volt same thing same way........................8)